Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,152 members, 7,835,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Why Amodu Was Hired! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Amodu Was Hired! (687 Views)

Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie / Amodu Ruined My Dream - Kanu / My Reasons Why Amodu Should Remain Super Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 17, 2009
When Amodu was recently hired as the head coach of Super Eagles to qualify us for world cup. His choice did not make sense to most of us because at the time he was not the most technically gifted coach football-wise in the country. Some of us argued then that the only thing that makes sense about his hiring is that he is being used as a pre-requisite for a Foreign Coach by the NFF.

You know since Nigerians are insisting on a local coach let us select a local coach that will fail so that we can once again wet their appetite for a Foreign Coach. This drama is already playing out as we speak and Nigerians are already falling prey for this grand corruption by the NFF.

Yes I agree that the display of the Super Eagles in the last 12 months has been shameful and their is need to either sack Amodu or find him another role within the Super Eagles but then hire a more technically gifted coach. However I still believe that one of our ex-players who have played at the highest level in Europe can lead us to the world cup.
Pep Guardiolla who won everything in his rookie year as coach of Barcelona has shown that ex-players who know what they are doing can be successful as coaches.

Right now the way forward is to sack SANI LULU as NFF Chairman and hand both the administration and coaching of our football to our ex-heroes who have done it at the highest level. We have loads of them around. Oliseh, Siasia, Eguaveon, Keshi, Garba Lawal . . . . . . . .these guys and their colleagues not mentioned should step up and run our football. The time right.

NIGERIANS must say NO to any kind of FOREIGN COACH. Because the call for a foreign coach is simply nuturing the corruption that led to hiring Amodu over better coaches.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by MrCrackles(m): 11:59am On Nov 17, 2009
I am looking forward to someone opening a thread titled "Why Amodu Was Fired" grin
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 17, 2009
Whilst it is general knowledge that Amodu isn't the most technically savvy manager, two things are clear.

1. He hasn't yet lost a WC Qualifier
2. He has coached Nigeria to WC Qualification on two ocassions
3. There is not practical basis for sacking him since based on results, we are actually doing well as difficult it is to believe.

I believe that sacking him now will do more harm to Nigerian football than good. As hard as it is to swallow, we should stick with him - you may say at the detriment of our football but two wrongs cannot make a right.

The best bet is to let him take the team to the Nations cup and if we fail to reach the final we have a clear reason to sack him.

If reach the final and lose, we can claim he lacks the ability to manage the team in a crucial game and relieve him of his job.

If we win the cup. . . I think all the clamour to sack him will have to go away as we would be a bunch of ingrates if we did that to him.

grin
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by honeric01(m): 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2009
Let Amodu be for God sake, the man is almost as popular as Mugabe in Africa.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by vikiviko(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2009
If we are to judge by results Amodu has not failed anybody perhaps the team didn't play well but we must agree there are no small teams in football any longer.

Imagine Kenya scoring twice against Nigeria, Mozambique beating Tunisia, Nigeria beating France.

In worls football today there is no coach who can guarantee a world cup for any team, every team in the world is a favourite , i subsribe Amodu remains .

Lets see the team in Angola, rather i will suggest the under performing boys be dropped in the team and no blood injected.

Is it Amodu's fault we conceded 2 goals in Abuja against Tunisia, the defenders were careless.

Abeg let Amodu be.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 18, 2009
I beg to differ on the post.
Amodu may have been undefeated,as the records show,but we cannot gamble on him taking us to SA.
His inept style of coaching (which has been evident all thru the qualifiers) will show him up at the biggest stage of all.
We need a technically sound coach.
I won't start the campaign for a foreign basedcoach,but truth is,apart from Sissia and Keshi,who else have we got that can take the job and we Nigerians won't worry if we're grouped with Brazil,Spain and France in SA?
The World cup will not have any minnows like Equatorial Guinea,Sierra Leone.We will not have mozambique to do us any favours.so I think i's high time we stopped trumpeting this his unbeaten record.Truth is,we were not tested that much;only tunisia provided some kindof opposition.We only made qualification difficult for ourselves in a straight-forward and relatively easy group.
Those of you who are campaigning for Amodu to stay probably don't know what's at stake.
the world Cup is the biggest stage of them all.We cannot afford to go there just to make up the numbers.After our impressive debut in 1994,we need to be getting to latter stages of the tournamnt,if not contending for the trophy.
nigeria vs Mozambique in Abuja is probably the reason why i would not support his continued stay.the clueless dimwit just moped t the sidelines.Taiwo Ogunjobi and Kanu were the coaches that day.Looking back,we can say we were fortunate to have scored in injury time.
Amodu has not improved the lot of the Eagles or the individual squad members themselves,like westerhof and to a certain extent,Bonfrere did.
It'stime for him to go.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 18, 2009
This kind of reaction above is why I was not celebrating when we qualified for world cup 2010.

I told my folks that Nigerians will confuse luck with success given we qualified. Anybody who believe's the sham we displayed during the qualifiers is good enough for world cup finals regardless of who our opponent might be simply does not have the reputation and interest of Nigeria at heart.

This attitude is central to why our country never works and we are displaying it once again. 'leave Amodu alone?' . . . . but why should we leave him alone?

Amodu in one of his recent quotes says 'we play 4-4-2 because that is the pattern most of the boys are used to in their various clubs in Europe'. I think this quote explains the workings of Amodu's mind. He does most things on assumptions, trial and error without any plan . . . . . .thats not good enough to be a National coach leading a Nation to a world cup finals in this day and age.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by pie1ect(m): 11:27am On Nov 18, 2009
We keep making these arguments back and forth.

Im still yet to see a valid reason on which we can base this campaign to sack Amodu. Maybe the thought of a fellow Nigerian achieving that honor is too much for some small-minded Nigerians to live with. The man has stood toe-to-toe with the likes of Raymond Domenech of France and the great Trapattoni, and whatever "brilliant" foreign coaches abound in Africa and he's still yet to lose a competitive match to anybody. That is still not satisfactory for my countrymen. African football is not about tactics or technical know-how, it has never been. Its about pride and commitment. This pretense we put up anytime we see a black man at the helm of the SE is disgusting.

If Arsene Wenger had coached the Super Eagles against France and we lost, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

All due respect to ex-players but they don't always make the best coaches. We only have to look to the great Maradona( and his extra-talented squad) to understand that.

I bet even if Amodu won the African Cup, it still wont be good enough for his critics. Nothing short of him being sacked would do, no matter how the change in personnel would affect the team this close to the start of the Nations Cup and World Cup.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by akintun: 11:39am On Nov 18, 2009
He was hired to qualifier us 4 the world cup.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by honeric01(m): 11:44am On Nov 18, 2009
If anyone wants to see Amodu's achievements, he should check this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-353116.99999.html#bot
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2009
pie1ect:

We keep making these arguments back and forth.

Im still yet to see a valid reason on which we can base this campaign to sack Amodu. Maybe the thought of a fellow Nigerian achieving that honor is too much for some small-minded Nigerians to live with. The man has stood toe-to-toe with the likes of Raymond Domenech of France and the great Trapattoni, and whatever "brilliant" foreign coaches abound in Africa and he's still yet to lose a competitive match to anybody. That is still not satisfactory for my countrymen. African football is not about tactics or technical know-how, it has never been. Its about pride and commitment. This pretense we put up anytime we see a black man at the helm of the SE is disgusting.

If Arsene Wenger had coached the Super Eagles against France and we lost, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

All due respect to ex-players but they don't always make the best coaches. We only have to look to the great Maradona( and his extra-talented squad) to understand that.

I bet even if Amodu won the African Cup, it still wont be good enough for his critics. Nothing short of him being sacked would do, no matter how the change in personnel would affect the team this close to the start of the Nations Cup and World Cup.
Oga,
If you want Nigeria to do well at the World Cup,amodu is not the man.
Yu mentioned Domenech and Trapatoni:for all intents and purposes,both are trying their luck in the play-offs.I'll not say anything else on that.We played a couple of friendlies with these teams and didn't lose.
Besides,Trapatoni and Domenech in particular have not done anything at international level for us to be trumpeting Amodu's successes against them in friendlies.
You need to ask yourself who exactly we played and how convincing we were so that we can actually believe that amodu can face the best in the world.
Yes,even if Amodu wins the Nations Cup, (of which I'm 99% sure he won't) we still won't be satisfied,because he wasn't suitable for the job,and still ihasn't proved to be suitable.
i never made a case for keshi/siasia.I just said they were the only local options available.
you said African football was not about tactics/strategy.you need to be shot for that statement.
north african sides are primarily defensive,with the exception of Egypt in recent times.football is all about employing the right tactics with the available talent.Wherever it is played,be it the north Pole or jupiter.If the 'African-football-requires-no-tactics' is the arguement you re raising in defence of Amodu,my guy,you certainly have none.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by pie1ect(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2009
Eastbay:

Oga,
If you want Nigeria to do well at the World Cup,amodu is not the man.
Yu mentioned Domenech and Trapatoni:for all intents and purposes,both are trying their luck in the play-offs.I'll not say anything else on that.We played a couple of friendlies with these teams and didn't lose.
Besides,Trapatoni and Domenech in particular have not done anything at international level for us to be trumpeting Amodu's successes against them in friendlies.
You need to ask yourself who exactly we played and how convincing we were so that we can actually believe that amodu can face the best in the world.
Yes,even if Amodu wins the Nations Cup, (of which I'm 99% sure he won't) we still won't be satisfied,because he wasn't suitable for the job,and still ihasn't proved to be suitable.
i never made a case for keshi/siasia.I just said they were the only local options available.
you said African football was not about tactics/strategy.you need to be shot for that statement.
north african sides are primarily defensive,with the exception of Egypt in recent times.football is all about employing the right tactics with the available talent.Wherever it is played,be it the north Pole or jupiter.If the 'African-football-requires-no-tactics' is the arguement you re raising in defence of Amodu,my guy,you certainly have none.

Look, if you are going to argue please base it on facts or at least back it up with statistics. What is the meaning of "Amodu is not the man". Based on what? You dont like the man's color or the results he gets are worse than those of the world class foreign coaches we had in the past? 
You have not given any reasons. You are simply attacking me for my own arguments.

Im pretty sure Domenech was the one who led France to the brink of the World Cup in 2006 in Germany but Im sure that's not an achievement worth noting in your books. Again Mister, if you are going to argue please base it on facts.

Your posit that I should be shot for my opinion speaks volumes. I will be so bold as to say International football is not always about tactics. Its about organisation. Its about pride and commitment. How many days has an international coach got with his players? If you haven't understood that by now, then you need to lose the blindfold. You want to tell me that Greece were the most tactical team at the Euros when they won it and Otto Rehagel was the most tactically astute manager at the finals? How is it that a Brazil team who'd been most dissapointing during the qualifiers went to Japan and humbled every opposition? Did Scolari suddenly discover some tactics he never knew he had? C'mon, if my argument is flawed, then give a counter-argument but support it with facts. I am open to your opinion but it must be based in facts.

You want to see the Eagles do well, then impress it on the football administrators to [b]PLAN [/b]for success. That's what other successful countries do. They dont run around like headless chickens looking for scapegoats. Now tell me, which coach was the last to win anything with the Super Eagles? Westerhof, right. I dont know if you remember this but Westerhof tried and failed to qualify Nigeria for the WC in 90'. If that was a black man, you can bet anything he wouldn't survive in that job beyond the last qualifying match. It took the man almost five (5) years to build that team which we  all remember fondly. What is wrong with giving Amodu the same opportunity? Amodu, who's been there to bail us out every single time (always cleaning up after our latest idea of a foreign coach and doing it brilliantly even with less resources at his disposal). Is he too black for you liking? Or perhaps you dont like his brand of football, which admittedly may not be pretty but it produces results. Perhaps you prefer the sparkling brand of football brought to us by the impeccable likes of Thijs Libregts, Bora Milutinovic and Berti Vogts?
Hint: Westerhof had 5 years to build a very good team, playing the brand of football they did. Amodu has had roughly a year and he's produced better results than any foreign coach we've ever had. Go figure. Stop blaming Amodu for the failings of Nigeria's FA.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 19, 2009
pie1ect:

Look, if you are going to argue please base it on facts or at least back it up with statistics. What is the meaning of "Amodu is not the man". Based on what? You dont like the man's color or the results he gets are worse than those of the world class foreign coaches we had in the past? 
You have not given any reasons. You are simply attacking me for my own arguments.

Im pretty sure Domenech was the one who led France to the brink of the World Cup in 2006 in Germany but Im sure that's not an achievement worth noting in your books. Again Mister, if you are going to argue please base it on facts.

Your posit that I should be shot for my opinion speaks volumes. I will be so bold as to say International football is not always about tactics. Its about organisation. Its about pride and commitment. How many days has an international coach got with his players? If you haven't understood that by now, then you need to lose the blindfold. You want to tell me that Greece were the most tactical team at the Euros when they won it and Otto Rehagel was the most tactically astute manager at the finals? How is it that a Brazil team who'd been most dissapointing during the qualifiers went to Japan and humbled every opposition? Did Scolari suddenly discover some tactics he never knew he had? C'mon, if my argument is flawed, then give a counter-argument but support it with facts. I am open to your opinion but it must be based in facts.

You want to see the Eagles do well, then impress it on the football administrators to [b]PLAN [/b]for success. That's what other successful countries do. They dont run around like headless chickens looking for scapegoats. Now tell me, which coach was the last to win anything with the Super Eagles? Westerhof, right. I dont know if you remember this but Westerhof tried and failed to qualify Nigeria for the WC in 90'. If that was a black man, you can bet anything he wouldn't survive in that job beyond the last qualifying match. It took the man almost five (5) years to build that team which we  all remember fondly. What is wrong with giving Amodu the same opportunity? Amodu, who's been there to bail us out every single time (always cleaning up after our latest idea of a foreign coach and doing it brilliantly even with less resources at his disposal). Is he too black for you liking? Or perhaps you dont like his brand of football, which admittedly may not be pretty but it produces results. Perhaps you prefer the sparkling brand of football brought to us by the impeccable likes of Thijs Libregts, Bora Milutinovic and Berti Vogts?
Hint: Westerhof had 5 years to build a very good team, playing the brand of football they did. Amodu has had roughly a year and he's produced better results than any foreign coach we've ever had. Go figure. Stop blaming Amodu for the failings of Nigeria's FA.
You need to ask yourself how Westerhof was able tobuld for 5 years.If I remember,the NFA was also at loggerheads with hi for most of his tenure.And I have never known any nfa board since 1990 that has been efficient in all its dealings.NFA will always be NFA;they will always fail to plan as long as Government thru amos adamu selects the board.
Westerhof was successful because of his ties with Aso Rock.he even boasted on NTA that he could not be sacked,even after we came third in senegal in 92.He recieved  little support from the NFA/Sports Ministry.End of.
I won't argue with anybody who says African Football is not about tactics.
Ask how the northern African sides play their football.If it is not primarily defensive.Watch how Algeria qualified for the World Cup.
If you want to make it about international football,then the argument is getting ridiculous.If you wre a student of footie,you would know that statement is every bit as fallacious and heretical as your whole argument.
Fact:greece won euro 2004 because they were the most tactically disciplined,whether you like it or not.
Fact:Brazil won in 2002 because Scolari was smart enough to employ 3-5-2 in japan.I'm pretty sure you don't know that.3-5-2 was the pattern that fit the kind of players he had.Get that.What is 3-5-2 if i may ask you?I'm pretty sure you don't know what that is.

domenech led France to the world cup final three years ago,but we all remember it was in spite of him,not because of him that France got there in the first place.Everybody in France wants him sacked for incompetence.What about Euro 2008?If he was that good,given the talent he has at his disposal,he would have resigned the moment they failed to progress beyond the group stage Just like Roger Lemmere before him.If he was that good,his team-mates led by thierry Henry would not openly castigate his methods.if he was that good,France has no business in the play-offs from a group wiht Serbia and Austria as the only strong teams.Don't come here and tell me Domenech is anything worth more than toilet paper.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/6596600/Raymond-Domenech-internet-hit-TV-marriage-astrologer-and-France-manager.html
i agree that the result is the most important thing at the end of the day;but we have the talent to play well and win.all we need is a coach to harness that talent,but Amodu does not seem to understand that.Case in point:Nigeria vs Mozambique,both legs.In Maputo,we were being slaughtered,but our Amodu sat therewithout an idea of what to do.In Abuja,Taiwo Ogunobi can claim to be the one who secured that win,because Amodu stood there,arms crossed.without an idea of what to do.when I say he is not the man,you need not look any further than that game to know how clueles,how dumbstruck he was in the ace of the challenge of getting a result when it mattered.Factsare not needed for someone who has been so unconvincing against teams we should have beaten easily.
As for the kenya game,don't make a case for him,because in the first half we were run around by a team who had been abandoned by its coach three days earlier;there was no co-ordination.It was clearly a case of will-power from the likes of Osaze,the much-maligned Mikel and Obafemi Martins.
As for Libregts,Berti Vogts,those people should be charged with stealing for claiming to be coaches.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by pie1ect(m): 9:57am On Nov 19, 2009
Eastbay:

You need to ask yourself how Westerhof was able tobuld for 5 years.If I remember,the NFA was also at loggerheads with hi for most of his tenure.And I have never known any nfa board since 1990 that has been efficient in all its dealings.NFA will always be NFA;they will always fail to plan as long as Government thru amos adamu selects the board.
Westerhof was successful because of his ties with Aso Rock.he even boasted on NTA that he could not be sacked,even after we came third in senegal in 92.He recieved  little support from the NFA/Sports Ministry.End of.
I won't argue with anybody who says African Football is not about tactics.
Ask how the northern African sides play their football.If it is not primarily defensive.Watch how Algeria qualified for the World Cup.
If you want to make it about international football,then the argument is getting ridiculous.If you wre a student of footie,you would know that statement is every bit as fallacious and heretical as your whole argument.
Fact:greece won euro 2004 because they were the most tactically disciplined,whether you like it or not.
Fact:Brazil won in 2002 because Scolari was smart enough to employ 3-5-2 in japan.I'm pretty sure you don't know that.3-5-2 was the pattern that fit the kind of players he had.Get that.What is 3-5-2 if i may ask you?I'm pretty sure you don't know what that is.

domenech led France to the world cup final three years ago,but we all remember it was in spite of him,not because of him that France got there in the first place.Everybody in France wants him sacked for incompetence.What about Euro 2008?If he was that good,given the talent he has at his disposal,he would have resigned the moment they failed to progress beyond the group stage Just like Roger Lemmere before him.If he was that good,his team-mates led by thierry Henry would not openly castigate his methods.if he was that good,France has no business in the play-offs from a group wiht Serbia and Austria as the only strong teams.Don't come here and tell me Domenech is anything worth more than toilet paper.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/6596600/Raymond-Domenech-internet-hit-TV-marriage-astrologer-and-France-manager.html
i agree that the result is the most important thing at the end of the day;but we have the talent to play well and win.all we need is a coach to harness that talent,but Amodu does not seem to understand that.Case in point:Nigeria vs Mozambique,both legs.In Maputo,we were being slaughtered,but our Amodu sat therewithout an idea of what to do.In Abuja,Taiwo Ogunobi can claim to be the one who secured that win,because Amodu stood there,arms crossed.without an idea of what to do.when I say he is not the man,you need not look any further than that game to know how clueles,how dumbstruck he was in the ace of the challenge of getting a result when it mattered.Factsare not needed for someone who has been so unconvincing against teams we should have beaten easily.
As for the kenya game,don't make a case for him,because in the first half we were run around by a team who had been abandoned by its coach three days earlier;there was no co-ordination.It was clearly a case of will-power from the likes of Osaze,the much-maligned Mikel and Obafemi Martins.
As for Libregts,Berti Vogts,those people should be charged with stealing for claiming to be coaches.

Great stuff. France got to the final of a[b] world cup[/b] beating England and the holders (Brazil) on their way, in spite of their manager but Brazil won a WC because of their manager. I dont even know what do with that one. Im sure the players could have managed themselves just fine. Im sure the French players could have just on their own, decided to play 4-5-1 in that WC even though every body else was against it. Im also sure Alberto Parreira does not have pedigree in football. How else could the toliet paper (Domenech) beat him at a highly tactical match?

Every visitor to Maputo recently has struggled to match the Mambas on their own ground. But as Nigerians, we are supposed to bulldoze our way through, right? Again, do not let the facts get in the way. Nigeria were the only team in the group not to have lost in Maputo, but that's enough regardless of whether Amodu was sitting or standing. We were being slaughtered but we did not cave in. Other teams went there and got slaughtered in much the same way and they caved. All of them with your beloved "foreign" coaches.

So you attribute the win against Mozambique in Abuja to Taiwo Ogunjobi. What did he do, bribe the Mozambiqan players? Tell our players how to pass the ball on the feild? This is the second time Im seeing this argument today. First, someone attributed our qualification to the PTF. Now you say its Ogunjobi, good work.

As for the Kenyan game, Im certain that Amodu did not say a word to the players during the interval for fear of being torn to pieces by the much-maligned Mikel and Obafemi Martins.

Im not basing my arguments on sentiments, Im basing them on the statistics which is as clear as day. Amodu is the best coach Nigeria has had in years. Maybe he is just lucky to be there when everything goes right for the Eagles, but I'd rather have him than some "coach with a pedigree" who'll lead us to the gutter like our last 4/5 "foreign" coaches.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 19, 2009
pie1ect:

Great stuff. France got to the final of a[b] world cup beating England and the holders (Brazil) on their way, in spite of their manager but Brazil won a WC because of their manager. I dont even know what do with that one.[/b] Im sure the players could have managed themselves just fine. Im sure the French players could have just on their own, decided to play 4-5-1 in that WC even though every body else was against it. Im also sure Alberto Parreira does not have pedigree in football. How else could the toliet paper (Domenech) beat him at a highly tactical match?

Every visitor to Maputo recently has struggled to match the Mambas on their own ground. But as Nigerians, we are supposed to bulldoze our way through, right? Again, do not let the facts get in the way. Nigeria were the only team in the group not to have lost in Maputo, but that's enough regardless of whether Amodu was sitting or standing. We were being slaughtered but we did not cave in. Other teams went there and got slaughtered in much the same way and they caved. All of them with your beloved "foreign" coaches.

So you attribute the win against Mozambique in Abuja to Taiwo Ogunjobi. What did he do, bribe the Mozambiqan players? Tell our players how to pass the ball on the feild? This is the second time Im seeing this argument today. First, someone attributed our qualification to the PTF. Now you say its Ogunjobi, good work.

As for the Kenyan game, Im certain that Amodu did not say a word to the players during the interval for fear of being torn to pieces by the much-maligned Mikel and Obafemi Martins. Im not basing my arguments on sentiments, Im basing them on the statistics which is as clear as day. Amodu is the best coach Nigeria has had in years. Maybe he is just lucky to be there when everything goes right for the Eagles, but I'd rather have him than some "coach with a pedigree" who'll lead us to the gutter like our last 4/5 "foreign" coaches.
First stop putting wors in my mouth.
I have never canvassed for a foreign coach.Stop talking like you're in a bar.I only said amodu isn't competent enough to coach the national team.
Ogunjobi violated FIFA regulations to co to the touchline to shout instructions to the players in the mozambique game in Abuja.i'm not basing qualification on that.I only pointed out that fact to prove amodu's incompetence.
Amodu just folded his hands by the touchline.If you avoid that fact,then you're just being difficult on this arument.
From the above highlighted,It's clear you don't understand the tactical angle.That's why you're contradicting yourself on the "international-football-does-not-need-tactics" mantra you've developed.I wont't say more.By the way,that your staementwill still gt you shot.And because Domenech beat Perreira,that doesn't mean he's better.Domenech has no titles to his name.
you haven't answered my questions on Domenech.At least you didn't bring up Trappatoni.if domenech is that good,why is he a laughing stock,as the article i posted?Why does virtually all of France want him sacked?the same applies to Amodu.And for the record,France did no beat England on the way in 2006.The main reason they got to the final,as we all know,was Zidane.Since Zidane left,he's not done anything.
Statistics do not tell the whole story.Let your statistics carry us to SA and let's see if we can qualify for the latter stages.You seem to be crediting Amodu for our qualification when everybody knows Mozambique did us a huge favour.Yes people struggle in Mozambique.But heck we've gone past that stage.we should be world powers by now,but your NFA decides to appoint an incompetent amodu to drag us back several years.
Amodu is already making excuses for failure in the nations cup.wouold a good coach do that?if he is that good,let him win the Nations Cup.then I'll be convinced he has the guts to lead us.world cup qualification is a feat,but we,like France under domenech,got there in spite of our coach.

Westerhoff gave his players international eposure.at least he helped their professional careers.This mumu  doesn't even know how to talk like the coach of a national team of 120 million people.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by pie1ect(m): 1:09pm On Nov 19, 2009
Eastbay:

First stop putting wors in my mouth.
I have never canvassed for a foreign coach.Stop talking like you're in a bar.
Hmm, I wouldnt even know what that sounds like.

Eastbay:

I only said amodu isn't competent enough to coach the national team.
Ogunjobi violated FIFA regulations to co to the touchline to shout instructions to the players in the mozambique game in Abuja.i'm not basing qualification on that.I only pointed out that fact to prove amodu's incompetence.
So shouting at the players (grown men, all of them) is supposed to be a sign of competence. How many times do we see the likes of Arsene Wenger screaming on the touchline? That one is strictly a matter of preference. It does not make the team play better or otherwise. It is not a "fact" that proves anything. If anything, it proves that Ogunjobi is too big-headed to know his place in the structure of our football setup - behind a desk.
Eastbay:

From the above highlighted,It's clear you don't understand the tactical angle.That's why you're contradicting yourself on the "international-football-does-not-need-tactics" mantra you've developed.
What can I say? Russia just lost out on a WC ticket. I suppose their coach wasnt tactically sound enough to combat the great tactical team that is Slovenia. Nw you are putting words in my mouth. I did not say "international football does not need tactics". I said, International football is not always about tactics. Its also about pride and commitment. If you are going to "quote" me, then quote exactly what I say. Its about who turns up on the day. Whether Domenech has won anything before or not, the fact remains that he took his team to the world cup final ahead of supposedly more accomplished managers. Im giving you facts but you simply do not want to deal with them. You would rather dwell on conjecture.

Eastbay:

By the way, that your staementwill still gt you shot.
I'll like to see someone try. Maybe in crapland, but in the land of people who think logically, I dont think so.
Eastbay:

Domenech has no titles to his name.
you haven't answered my questions on Domenech.At least you didn't bring up Trappatoni.if domenech is that good,why is he a laughing stock,as the article i posted?Why does virtually all of France want him sacked?the same applies to Amodu.
Maybe you may not know this but most of France wanted Aime Jacquet out before the 98' world cup. He ended up with the world cup. Russians did not want Guus Huddink out, but he failed to qualify them for the WC. So what that prove exactly? My mistake though, England lost to portugal who later lost to France.
Eastbay:

Statistics do not tell the whole story.Let your statistics carry us to SA and let's see if we can qualify for the latter stages.You seem to be crediting Amodu for our qualification when everybody knows Mozambique did us a huge favour.Yes people struggle in Mozambique.But heck we've gone past that stage.we should be world powers by now,but your NFA decides to appoint an incompetent amodu to drag us back several years.
Amodu is already making excuses for failure in the nations cup.wouold a good coach do that?if he is that good,let him win the Nations Cup.then I'll be convinced he has the guts to lead us.world cup qualification is a feat,but we,like France under domenech,got there in spite of our coach.

Westerhoff gave his players international eposure.at least he helped their professional careers.This mumu  doesn't even know how to talk like the coach of a national team of 120 million people.

This is just weird argument. French people want Raymond out because his team does not play good football and they dont win matches either. And they've got good reason. They are afterall former world champions. Nigerians like you want Amodu out because he is a Nigerian even though he doesn't lose many matches and his teams actually play some semblance of good football compared to all the clap-trap we've seen the Eagles perform through the years since Westerhof. No matter that our best result on the world stage is the second round of the world cup (and that was our best team to date). You can keep dreaming about Super Eagles who are supposed to be world powers by now all you want but the reality is that we aint. And you sure as hell know it is due to no fault of Amodu.
Moreover, maybe it hasnt crossed your mind, but the team you are thinking about (Eagles of 94') have long retired and been replaced by a bunch of over-pampered old men who rely would sooner stay at their clubsides than pull on the green and white jersey.

Your last point just beggars belief. There is no national team of "120 million people". And by the way, enlighten me on how the coach of a "national team of 120 million people" is supposed to talk.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 19, 2009
No need to continue arguing with you.
Stick with your dimwit Amodu.
If someone came to do your job while you were able to I wonder what that says about you.forget that ogunjobi was indeed shouting.That was a huge indictment on amodu that someone in NFA will take over his job.arsene Wenger won't shout because he's done his homework,and most times we see the output on the pitch.
Amodu won't know what it feels like,because he's not competent.
I'll dream,because I don't let my situations limit me.If in our debut appearance,we got to the second round and we were robbd by inexperience in extra time against eventual runner-up,then 16 years later,we're just happy to be there,then i'm sorry for your thinking and approach to life.
About coaches,it's obvious you're still confused.
Aime Jacquet?You must be something else to compare him to Domenech.
Jacquet had the authority to drop players like Cantona(his captain),Papin and ginola,who were at the peak of their careers at the time.Domenech,and subsequently our own Amodu can't.
the other day,Henry literally mocked his own boss in public.nothing happened.
Besides,Jacque won the world cup.domenech couldn't.there's a whole world of difference in there.Even domestic league titles,Domenechcannot boast of one while jacquet has three.
Guus hidink will not be successful all the time.That does not take away any credentials from him,that russia failed to qualify.
westerhof,clap-trap?yes during the early days,when he was building,but certainly not when the Eagles were in their prime.

i'm tired of defending mediocrityit seems  like you seem to have  a penchant for defending the indefensible.
Name one competitive fixture where we beat a credible opponent.Name one game you were atually convinced we had all it takes to do well in SA during Amodu's reign.
Friendlies discounted,because the gains from the French game have been annuled with shabby displays ever since.
then I will listen to you.
Re: Why Amodu Was Hired! by pie1ect(m): 2:27pm On Nov 19, 2009
Eastbay:

No need to continue arguing with you.
Stick with your dimwit Amodu.
If someone came to do your job while you were able to I wonder what that says about you.forget that ogunjobi was indeed shouting.That was a huge indictment on amodu that someone in NFA will take over his job.arsene Wenger won't shout because he's done his homework,and most times we see the output on the pitch.
Amodu won't know what it feels like,because he's not competent.
I'll dream,because I don't let my situations limit me.If in our debut appearance,we got to the second round and we were robbd by inexperience in extra time against eventual runner-up,then 16 years later,we're just happy to be there,then i'm sorry for your thinking and approach to life.
About coaches,it's obvious you're still confused.
Aime Jacquet?You must be something else to compare him to Domenech.
Jacquet had the authority to drop players like Cantona(his captain),Papin and ginola,who were at the peak of their careers at the time.Domenech,and subsequently our own Amodu can't.
the other day,Henry literally mocked his own boss in public.nothing happened.
Besides,Jacque won the world cup.domenech couldn't.there's a whole world of difference in there.Even domestic league titles,Domenechcannot boast of one while jacquet has three.
Guus hidink will not be successful all the time.That does not take away any credentials from him,that russia failed to qualify.
westerhof,clap-trap?yes during the early days,when he was building,but certainly not when the Eagles were in their prime.

i'm tired of defending mediocrityit seems  like you seem to have  a penchant for defending the indefensible.
Name one competitive fixture where we beat a credible opponent.Name one game you were atually convinced we had all it takes to do well in SA during Amodu's reign.
Friendlies discounted,because the gains from the French game have been annuled with shabby displays ever since.
then I will listen to you.

I see now there's no point continuing this argument as you have a penchant for conjecture. It's also obvious the English language is not your particular strong point. You cannot make an argument of your own, you simply jump on what I say and twist them in your own interpretation.
I never compared [/b]Aime to Raymond. I said the fact that the whole nation wants you sacked does not mean you are a bad coach (which is your argument) as most french football commentators wanted Aime sakced [b]before [/b]the french triumph. Look it up on the web if you need convincing. I cant do this anymore. I also clearly stated "through the years [b]since Westerhof" as in "not since Westerhof has any Nigerian team played well". Maybe you'd understand the meaning of that statement if you weren't too eager to pick holes where there are none. It seems you are averse to facts anyway. You'd rather debate your own ideas than the facts.
Im out.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Our Players Becoming Fat.what Happen To Maintaining Fitness / What Sports Shoes Do You Wear Today ? / Select Your Best Players-lagerback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.