Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. (19062 Views)

Osanyinlusi Titilayo Mary: Graduates With 7.0 CGPA From University Of Ibadan / Owolabi Habeebah Olayinka Graduates With A 7.0 CGPA From University Of Ibadan / Daniel Nkemelu Graduates With 7.0 CGPA From University Of Ibadan (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Horspiroll007:
Bros. Jes move on wit ur life. Ur grade doesn't define who u r gonna b. It's wat u have upstairs and wat problem u can solve wit ur brain. Tho it may b difficult to get employment into some companies that take in minimum of 2/1... Jes Kip ur head straight.. I'm currently in ur shoes... 3.29 at the end of 300 level... I ve 3 semesters + IT left.... I just hope I make 2/1 at the end of the program ...

Engineering or law?
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 4:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
yemimajid:
bruv, I think you're getting your calculation wrong..2:2 is not up to 3.0 on a 4.0 scale...even 3.6/5 is just 2.9 on a 4.0 scale boss.

Pls Note: The name "Kunle" below is a guy who wanted to school in US for his masters.

Each 5 point-scale GPA has its own
equivalent on the 4-point scale. As the 5-point
GPA reduces so does the 4-point GPA. And no,
the credit units are not reduced or increased
during conversion. The only things changed are
the grades and grade units.
For eg, FOR WES translation ,
our A is their A = 4 points.
Our B is their B+ = 3.5 points.
Our C is B = 3.0 points.
Our D is C+ = 2.5 points.
Our E is their C = 2.0 points and
Our F is F = 0.
For WES' conversion list, there are no Ds and Es
on their US 4-point scale. All our Ds and Es are
converted to C+ and C respectively thus adding
extra points to the person's equivalent new
CGPA. That's why WES is considered the best.
Now, the higher the CGPA, the lower the add in
extra points to the final because the 5-point GPA
is likely to have more As, Bs and Cs than Ds and
Es(the very two which add extra points to the
overall). And the lower the CGPA the more the
add in possible points from Ds and Es because
the person's transcripts is likely to have more Ds
and Es than the first example, thus adding a little
more points to the person's 4-point CGPA since
the many Ds and Es will be converted to higher
C+ and C.
I'll give you a quick break down of Naija GPAs
I've seen converted by WES to the 4-Point scale
so you can quickly place for yourself where
3.08/5.0 will land.
Nigeria. US
4.10/5.0. 3.53/4.0
4.08/5.0. 3.52/4.0
3.73/5.0. 3.37/4.0
3.68/5.0. 3.29/4.0(Your own conversion.
3.20/5.0. 3.06/4.0(Kunle's conversion)
3.12/5.0. 3.05/4.0
2.99/5.0. 2.99/4.0
2.33/5.0. 2.50/4.0
Look above and see the linear relationship.
Notice the falling pattern of the 5-point scale
and its equivalent falling pattern on the 4-point
scale. Its a linear relationship. Now look at the
scale and estimate the range 3.08/5.0 on 4-point
scale will fall on? Your guess is as good as mine.
@Kunle : remember when you sent in your
transcripts to WES for evaluation and you were
waiting for it to come out, I told you on bbm that
your new CGPA will between 3.05 to 3.10? And
when it came out and it was 3.06? You told me
when it came out and remember I told you I
wasn't surprised that knew it would fall within
that range. This was because before then my
friend who had 3.12/5.0 had converted his own
and got 3.05/4.0. And because your own 5-point
scale CGPA, 3.20/5.0 was higher than his
3.12/5.0, I definitely knew your 4-point equivalent
will be higher than the 3.05/4.0 which my friend
got.
Likewise, 3.08/5.0 will be lower than 3.05/4.0 but
won't fall below 3.0/4.0 since 2.99/5.0 fell on
2.99/4.0. The range will be between (3.0 to
3.05)/4.0.
Observe that its a linear ratio thing. I guess the
confusion comes from the fact that the CGPA
3.08/5.0 is second class lower and its 4-point
equivalent, 3.0/4.0 is considered second class
upper on the 4-point scale. That's how it is.
Kunle's 3.20/5.0 is second class lower but also
turned out to be 3.06 which is higher than
3.0/4.0 and which is second class upper on the
4-point scale.
3.08/5.0 isn't much different from 3.20/5.0 and
should give something close to Kunle's 4-point
3.06/4.0 in accordance to the law of linearity
and mathematics. Hence, I don't expect such a
huge downward plunge in the new CGPA
equivalent, such as 2.5/4.0 to 2.60/4.0 as Kunle
projected.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by gemale(m): 4:49pm On Dec 22, 2016
kennynelcon:

You know how it feels when u have no fun, live a cool triangle life and still grad with a cgpa lower than expected.

My guy wey live life, and I was busy telling him to stop having fun with girls, even get higher cgpa, when result show he told me "I ate my cake and had it", you wasted your school fees.

I have gotten over it, I don't care, I pray I have enough money by then and get a nice suit.

I thank God, in God we trust.
Nigga I did $hit in uni. Afta d session when I almost killed myself wt book & still had 2 change course because of low grades & skul told me on top 2 defer 4 1 yr because of administrative 4k up, I no stress myself again. Na so so games I dey play, movies I dey watch, ashys I dey bang, joints I dey blow & oda vices till dem tire come gv me 2.2 comot.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by gemale(m): 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
FunnyDude:

Thanks so much, the truth is I don't feel like attending my convocation because I don't want to remember some memory; and coupled with the questions people Will be asking one though.
Oga no shaking! Enta dt place lyk a boss. Evrybdy dey happy say dem dey comot skul. Nobody go get tym 2 dey ask u ques besides, brochure dey so those wey wan know d class of honours u comot wt go still Sabi. Just bone dt side. Me wey comot wt low 2.2 still ball in turn up. If u c d way i dey dance dey dab, u go tnk say I carry 1st class comot. I c pple wt 3rd class & pass sef wey happy pass me.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by smksean(m): 5:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:
Mtcheeewwww... They won't read and come here to wail!!! angry

Nonsense!!
you clearly either dint attend a university or read a stupid course

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 5:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
gemale:

Oga no shaking! Enta dt place lyk a boss. Evrybdy dey happy say dem dey comot skul. Nobody go get tym 2 dey ask u ques besides, brochure dey so those wey wan know d class of honours u comot wt go still Sabi. Just bone dt side. Me wey comot wt low 2.2 still ball in turn up. If u c d way i dey dance dey dab, u go tnk say I carry 1st class comot. I c pple wt 3rd class & pass sef wey happy pass me.
Thanks bro. I will do as u advised..Life goes on no mata what.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by queenitee(f): 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
LARRYDKING:
Now that you are a graduate, will you do something with your life?
Koko of d matter..Your cgpa doesn't matter,if you are determined,you will do something meaningful with your life and make it

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2016
smksean:
you clearly either dint attend a university or read a stupid course
No mind d niccur. I believe he is those guy that do sell car spare part in Alaba Int'l market, Lagos.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
queenitee:

Koko of d matter..Your cgpa doesn't matter,if you are determined,you will do something meaningful with your life and make it

#Gbam
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Medunah: 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
gemale:

Dude e be lyk say u neva enta uni na y u dey tlk ds. Enter uni 1st. U go c course wey if u carry c 4 am, u go waka gv testimony 4 church. 4 uni, u go c ur padi wey teach u course wey u no understand & because of am, u go understand am write exam 4 dt same course & u go get A or B, ur padi wey teach u go get D, E or even F sef. U go c pple wey dey jack fire dey fail fire. U go write exam dey beat chest say u don murder am, when u c result, u go clean eye say u no dey c well. D kain grade u go c on top dt course go b lyk say u no even read am @ all. Also, u fit write course dey expect carryover or poor grade come c A or B. I 1ce wrote 2/3 pages 4 a course & got a c. I also 1ce almost finished an answer booklet & got an E in a course. Falz no b fool when im tlk "1st class no be who collect Xtra sheet". Person wey get dt kain GP wey op get carry an average of Bs & Cs in im courses.
Lol, u just made me remember one of my courses last semester.... after reading hard for that course, infact out of all the courses I did last semester, I can say that, that was the only course I really read hard for. You know when u read textbook back to back and u re confident that you will blast the exam?? Only for me to start the the exam and it felt like I wasted all my time reading cos the questions were just out of this world.....after the exam, I told God to pls just give me a C cos at that point sef it felt like I would carry over the course cos the guess work I did ehn.
When I was told the result of that course was out, my heart started beating fast like 'what if I carry the course? But God did it and I had a 56, mehn comman see dance of joy.......funny enough, all the other courses that I didn't even read well enough for was Bs and As, only that course that I read really hard for was a C.
University exam is not just about how well you read abeg......
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2016
Doyin400l:

He is correct. Have u heard of WES ? They in charge of conversion GPA into American school all over the world. Going by their own,it is correct.
checkout www.wes.org
you're right thanks
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
Doyin400l:

Pls Note: The name "Kunle" below is a guy who wanted to school in US for his masters.

Each 5 point-scale GPA has its own
equivalent on the 4-point scale. As the 5-point
GPA reduces so does the 4-point GPA. And no,
the credit units are not reduced or increased
during conversion. The only things changed are
the grades and grade units.
For eg, FOR WES translation ,
our A is their A = 4 points.
Our B is their B+ = 3.5 points.
Our C is B = 3.0 points.
Our D is C+ = 2.5 points.
Our E is their C = 2.0 points and
Our F is F = 0.
For WES' conversion list, there are no Ds and Es
on their US 4-point scale. All our Ds and Es are
converted to C+ and C respectively thus adding
extra points to the person's equivalent new
CGPA. That's why WES is considered the best.
Now, the higher the CGPA, the lower the add in
extra points to the final because the 5-point GPA
is likely to have more As, Bs and Cs than Ds and
Es(the very two which add extra points to the
overall). And the lower the CGPA the more the
add in possible points from Ds and Es because
the person's transcripts is likely to have more Ds
and Es than the first example, thus adding a little
more points to the person's 4-point CGPA since
the many Ds and Es will be converted to higher
C+ and C.
I'll give you a quick break down of Naija GPAs
I've seen converted by WES to the 4-Point scale
so you can quickly place for yourself where
3.08/5.0 will land.
Nigeria. US
4.10/5.0. 3.53/4.0
4.08/5.0. 3.52/4.0
3.73/5.0. 3.37/4.0
3.68/5.0. 3.29/4.0(Your own conversion.
3.20/5.0. 3.06/4.0(Kunle's conversion)
3.12/5.0. 3.05/4.0
2.99/5.0. 2.99/4.0
2.33/5.0. 2.50/4.0
Look above and see the linear relationship.
Notice the falling pattern of the 5-point scale
and its equivalent falling pattern on the 4-point
scale. Its a linear relationship. Now look at the
scale and estimate the range 3.08/5.0 on 4-point
scale will fall on? Your guess is as good as mine.
@Kunle : remember when you sent in your
transcripts to WES for evaluation and you were
waiting for it to come out, I told you on bbm that
your new CGPA will between 3.05 to 3.10? And
when it came out and it was 3.06? You told me
when it came out and remember I told you I
wasn't surprised that knew it would fall within
that range. This was because before then my
friend who had 3.12/5.0 had converted his own
and got 3.05/4.0. And because your own 5-point
scale CGPA, 3.20/5.0 was higher than his
3.12/5.0, I definitely knew your 4-point equivalent
will be higher than the 3.05/4.0 which my friend
got.
Likewise, 3.08/5.0 will be lower than 3.05/4.0 but
won't fall below 3.0/4.0 since 2.99/5.0 fell on
2.99/4.0. The range will be between (3.0 to
3.05)/4.0.
Observe that its a linear ratio thing. I guess the
confusion comes from the fact that the CGPA
3.08/5.0 is second class lower and its 4-point
equivalent, 3.0/4.0 is considered second class
upper on the 4-point scale. That's how it is.
Kunle's 3.20/5.0 is second class lower but also
turned out to be 3.06 which is higher than
3.0/4.0 and which is second class upper on the
4-point scale.
3.08/5.0 isn't much different from 3.20/5.0 and
should give something close to Kunle's 4-point
3.06/4.0 in accordance to the law of linearity
and mathematics. Hence, I don't expect such a
huge downward plunge in the new CGPA
equivalent, such as 2.5/4.0 to 2.60/4.0 as Kunle
projected.
you're right thanks
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by OgaSirAde(m): 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
What is painful about this.. Get some sense op
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 12:32am On Dec 23, 2016
OgaSirAde:
What is painful about this.. Get some sense op
That a potential 2'1 student ended up finishing with a high 2'2. Just remaining 0.09 to cross the boundary..It painful bro .
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 9:33am On Dec 23, 2016
My question is, can I do my MSc Statistics (operations research) in UI with 3.41 cgpa? Are my qualified for their master's programme. Advice pls.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by cirmuell(m): 10:17am On Dec 23, 2016
Doyin400l:

That a potential 2'1 student ended up finishing with a high 2'2. Just remaining 0.09 to cross the boundary..It painful bro .
Abi
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 23, 2016
Medunah:

Lol, u just made me remember one of my courses last semester.... after reading hard for that course, infact out of all the courses I did last semester, I can say that, that was the only course I really read hard for. You know when u read textbook back to back and u re confident that you will blast the exam?? Only for me to start the the exam and it felt like I wasted all my time reading cos the questions were just out of this world.....after the exam, I told God to pls just give me a C cos at that point sef it felt like I would carry over the course cos the guess work I did ehn.
When I was told the result of that course was out, my heart started beating fast like 'what if I carry the course? But God did it and I had a 56, mehn comman see dance of joy.......funny enough, all the other courses that I didn't even read well enough for was Bs and As, only that course that I read really hard for was a C.
University exam is not just about how well you read abeg......

Similar issue I had last semester o. When I entered the hall and I saw the questions, I knew it was a game over. I kept praying that my test should save me. Had 56 too.

F comes in many ways. I have F in a course last semester, I wept my eyes out. I decided to complain cos the result had not been duly signed and I was too sure I couldn't fail that course. when I did, it was rectified and I had an A. So a lot of things result in carry over. If I hadn't complained on time or was far away from school or if it had been signed, would have just failed and have extra year and everyone including my family would see me as a failure.

This university thing na luck o, whether u good or not.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Medunah: 11:55am On Dec 23, 2016
LARRYDKING:

Similar issue I had last semester o. When I entered the hall and I saw the questions, I knew it was a game over. I kept praying that my test should save me. Had 56 too.

F comes in many ways. I have F in a course last semester, I wept my eyes out. I decided to complain cos the result had not been duly signed and I was too sure I couldn't fail that course. when I did, it was rectified and I had an A. So a lot of things result in carry over. If I hadn't complained on time or was far away from school or if it had been signed, would have just failed and have extra year and everyone including my family would see me as a failure.

Mehn, good thing u complained ooo
A to F, ahn ahn ....wats sort of mistake is that?
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 23, 2016
Medunah:

Mehn, good thing u complained ooo
A to F, ahn ahn ....wats sort of mistake is that?

It happens a lot. Come see as son of man dey weep like baby. I thought I was strong until I saw that result. I concluded that university education is a risk. So many people got affected by other similar issue but didn't get it rectified while some of us were simply lucky.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by davbravo(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2016
LARRYDKING:

wow, the great LARRYDKING also experienced this..... that's how things are especially in public universities......its just God that'll save us all
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Medunah: 12:25pm On Dec 23, 2016
LARRYDKING:

It happens a lot. Come see as son of man dey weep like baby. I thought I was strong until I saw that result. I concluded that university education is a risk. So many people got affected by other similar issue but didn't get it rectified while some of us were simply lucky.
Lol, lucky you
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by guiddoti: 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2016
BiafranBushBoy:

I was with 2.6 as at 200level... finished with a very high 2.1...
Smashed 2nd class in 300
first class in 400l
first class in 500l
How well can you read? Till date I don't sleep well at night!!
Only you can change your grades!!
BTW who university epp? grin
Smasssshhh master Wey done!
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 23, 2016
davbravo:
wow, the great LARRYDKING also experienced this..... that's how things are especially in public universities......its just God that'll save us all

Bro, it's one thing to write an exam, it's another to get a deserved grade. This thing happens frequently, if I was given an E, I wouldn't have bothered to complain, I would take it as fate but the burden of F was just too much to carry. Getting education in government owned institutions in this country is dangerous.

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2016
LARRYDKING:

Bro, it's one thing to write an exam, it's another to get a deserved grade. This thing happens frequently, if I was given an E, I wouldn't have bothered to complain, I would take it as fate but the burden of F was just too much to carry. Getting education in government owned institutions in this country is dangerous.
I also had similar challenge in my 300l when a lecturer gave me a 40E initially and submitted it to records , then after sometime he later paste another result of 24F for me for that same course. I was almost at d verge of rewriting it when I checked my online result and saw E again; nobody told me to quickly complain before it was rectify ooo! Assuming I didn't check online I wouldn't have known..Thank God i'm outta d system. Government school is shiiii.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 5:12pm On Dec 23, 2016
LARRYDKING:

Truth, University na gamble that's why we have 2-2 2-1,1-1 after everything. My own is I draw with UNN
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Elthugnificent(m): 7:42pm On Dec 23, 2016
hernandson:
well at Op d irony of life is what happen and what u do next after a let down, prof wole soyinka came out wit 3rd class but he is a great person dnt let life beat u dwn,strategize a better 2mao. Am a 300l student tho.
Which prof wole soyinka? Get your fact right.

Dude you better read your books and hope you have something upstairs to show for it at the end of the day.

Enough with that wole soyinka ish, stop giving excuse for failure. FYI wole soyinka did not graduate with a third class.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by OgaSirAde(m): 7:46pm On Dec 23, 2016
Doyin400l:

Ooh ok oh...pele op its not about GP its about what you have inside..
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Horspiroll007(m): 3:50pm On Dec 24, 2016
LARRYDKING:

Engineering or law?

Engineering.. Computer Engineering
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Horspiroll007(m): 4:04pm On Dec 24, 2016
Solmax:

bro its very possible I had 3.43 with 2 semesters left. I just had to ensure my last 2 semesters gp where above 4.0 points.
So I think U have to maintain atleast 4.5 in two semesters

Okay bro. Thanks for the ginger.. I'll Kip my head up and never stop excelling....

I just don't kno y I always struggle in my last semesters. Just like in OND days. My first GPA was 3.34 on a scale of 4.0 (Polytechnic). I had to keep on writing over 3.5 for the remaining semesters to ensure I graduate wit Distinction... finished with 3.59 that time.. It was nt easy... .

I believe I can still do it here in OAU wit 2 Semesters left +IT... I must make use of the IT to boost my CGPA.. I pray that I make it (amin)

1 Like

Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Horspiroll007(m): 4:08pm On Dec 24, 2016
MrHighSea:
U must b in engineering. started with 3.2 sth, fetch cgpa of 2.9 sth in 200l. Never had a cgpa of 3.50 except in 500L. Bt graduated with 3.58. Till today I RESPECT BABA. That 0.9 takes me places guy. I value my degree cert, no expo, no much socials, no gurl. My ss2 3rd term get my respect too. The school was fail math/eng or any 5 subjects, u go. WAT I MEAN IS U CAN MAKE IT. Cgpa of >3..5 is achievable.

Thanks for the heads up. I shall make it
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by ksbusari(m): 9:08pm On Dec 24, 2016
I'm proud of u. shebi dem no give u that 3.4. u studied and earned it although ur effort wasn't enough. never mind pray for albarika.
Re: Dilemma: I Just Graduated With A 3.41 Cgpa From School. So Painful. by Doyin400l(m): 7:08am On Dec 25, 2016
ksbusari:
I'm proud of u. shebi dem no give u that 3.4. u studied and earned it although ur effort wasn't enough. never mind pray for albarika.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See If Your Jamb Score Will Give You Admission / 'Dorcassing': Wikitionary Uses Nairaland Post As Example For New Word / JAMB Mock Result Out! Here's How To Check 2018 JAMB Mock Exam Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.