Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

The Pants And It's Effect According To The Yoruba Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Pants And It's Effect According To The Yoruba Culture (560 Views)

Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) / Alaafin Raises Alarm Over Assault On Yoruba Culture / Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Pants And It's Effect According To The Yoruba Culture by kabeerhabe(m): 1:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
Are there charms in the west also? Do the Americans and the Europeans also believe in some elements having sacredness in them?

I know there are some technological charms and astrological spirits but their workings and implementation are totally different from ours down the Africa, especially Nigeria.

Nigeria in its own perceptions and engagement is different from other African countries.

The difference is becoming clearer when you come down to yoruba land where our fathers have attached sacredness and negative voodoo effect to some elements and scenarios.

To a yoruba man, when you wake up early in the morning, if you see someone who is an unfortunate person, courtesy of the yoruba demands that you go back to sleep and wakeup again to have a good day ahead, else, according to those who believe, you are liable to have a bad luck.

Religious ones amongst us have used quranic and biblical verses to divert bad luck attached to magics and ill lucks.

The problem is: what of some scenarios which are not magical and unexplainable?

When a lady pant is put on a line, especially a dirty one and the type that might contains elements of some monthly discharges. when a jamb candidate passes under such clothing, he might not be able to get, even a question right in the examination because he has just passed under a spiritually lined pant, a gaseously corrosive underwear and a chemically acidic element.

Will chanting averts such scenario?
What are the sources of such believes?
Why are there differences between our believes?

That was why, when a sister called me, during my undergraduate days, to help her pack her clothes while the rain gave signs, I said: I have packed the packables and left the other packages because as small as they are, so also terrible they seems.

(1) (Reply)

Will English 'died Out' Like Latin One Day ? / The Race To The Orimolusi Throne Will Be Over / The Gods Are Not To Blame: Between The Ooni Of Ife And His Olori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.