Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. (1138 Views)

How Best To Utilize The New Minimum Wage / Top Management Consulting Firms In Nigeria / I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. by itzlabode(m): 3:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
I'm an ambitious fresh graduate of Economics(2'1), acquired in a top rated Federal university, fortunate enough to still be in my early twenties.
Recently got employed as an Executive Trainee in one of the leading banks in Nigeria.

I took the opportunity due to the fact that it was one of the first I got, would go to any length to work where my passion lies. (MANAGEMENT CONSULTING or Auditing in the BIG4) .

I just concluded the intensive Entry-level training which took about 5 months, and at the stage of selecting my most preferred department .

QUESTIONS-
which department in the bank would give me an advantage to get me into MANAGEMENT CONSULTING or AUDITING even if its getting in as an experience hire.

NOTE- I have a 2 years bond with the bank, which means I cannot leave for other company until 2 years .
I'm also an ICAN student.

please your advice would be appreciated .
Re: How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. by itzlabode(m): 6:49pm On Dec 23, 2016
please I need feedback... deadline in few days
Re: How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. by Emmaesty(f): 12:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
Hmmm... ... . Access Bank people
Re: How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. by benebaby77: 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2016
I guess your 2-years bond will elapse in 2018. If you wont be more than 26 years in that year... Then you can still move to any of the Big four as age is a constraint factor there.

I will suggest you choose either 'Audit department', 'Account and Finance department' or 'Risk and Credit Management.' This will serve as a foundation and it will help when you make it to any of the Big 4 - the experience you would gain in a Big 4 will solidify the one you must have had in the course of banking career.

During your on-going banking career, ensure that you are qualified as chartered accountants(even though you might yet to be inducted by dint of inadequate working experience) and that would come in handy when you are applying to Big four(especially Deloitte as it hardly non qualified chartered accountants) and your pay would be a bit above the non-qualified ones.

***To be employed in any Big Four is far easier than to be in Management Consulting***

However, you can still gain entry into MC but you must be prepared to pass through their rigorous recruitment processes ace their interview like rhetoric questions and ready to endure their long or no feedback on one's performance...

If you are still aim MC, try to learn data analytics and anything associate with it...

For one to thrive in modern Management Consulting firms like McKinsey, you need to have a good grasp of data analytics... Learn how to use R, SPSS, SAS, Matlab, Epi info Python, SQL, Advance Access and Excell, C++, Eview et all

These will help you become better 'Business Analyst or 'Business Intelligence Analyst'.

Lest I forget, Big Four have department or unit call Management Consulting though they take very few.

==============================================

Summary and further suggestion

***Try to be chartered during your on-going banking career***

***In 2018, start applying to Big four and MCs***

You are more likely to break into Big four than to MC

***Chill, you can still enter MC***

#### You May Call this Digression ####

After 2 to 3 years in big four, you can go for your MBA in top 20 business schools. Top MC and Investment banks often come to top BS to recruit interns and endeavour to make yourself available for such.

If that opportunity is not forthcoming, try to apply for internship in your researched-and-chosen yet intending IBs and MCs...

Garcia....
Re: How Best To Switch From Banking To AUDIT or Management Consulting. by toseman(m): 2:31pm On Dec 24, 2016
The two year bond is really a killer in this regard. Gaining quality experience and develop ones skill set for better opportunities is the best thing to do at this junction.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sowing and reaping how the Blessing works and the future / Get Qualified Application / Best 100 Companies To Work For In Nigeria 2019-JOBBERMAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.