Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,513 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History (4160 Views)

25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History / 14 Methods Humans Have Used To Dispose Their Deads Throughout History. / 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by thunderrider: 10:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
musicwriter:
Another junk education thread.........

This is one of the reason knowledge acquisition in English language is such a disaster to Africa.

Any culture in the world can coin, and indeed do coin such words. Popular one I can readily remember is "ọsọ Abiola" which was coined by Igbos running out of Lagos during the annulled June 12th 1993 presidential election won by Moshood Abiola. Its used to describe the "period" within the last days of former head of state, IBB- the exact time Lagos was deserted.

ỌSỌ in Igbo could mean RUN, RUNNING, RAN (depending on the context) and of course, everybody know Abiola and can easily translate "ọsọ Abiola" to your various native languages.

The words listed on this thread that they want you to know should only make sense to those cultures that coined them, not you as an African. Its not up to us to adopt their grammar structure, cause we're not English people!.

If you check the Binis, Efiks, Hausas, Nupes, Fulanis, Ijaws, Ibibios, e.t.c who ran from Lagos during "ọsọ Abiola", you'll discover they also formed similar words to describe that period. Because, language by nature does that for all cultures!. Its just that we still consider our languages inferior just as the British taught us, and therefore, don't consider our own creation as knowledge since we still think knowledge is only knowledge when white man create it.

Noam Chomsky (the world's best living linguist) said that every language in the world possess the same natural capability to coin words in similar way!!.

As a matter of fact, there's this Yoruba man called Alajo Shomolu who lived in the mid 1900's and was said to be a thrift collector, and through him so many words entered into the Yoruba lexicon. Yet, the name of this man doesn't appear any where in textbooks in Yorubaland. Such a great man of historical importance reduced to mythology because of our stupidity!. And we're here studying European Draco; when we have people of same historical importance right here in our own cultures?

At the peak of his career, Alajo Shomolu was said to be so diligent at his work that adages were coined in his name. The sayings are as follows: ‘’Ori e pe bii ti alajo Somolu, to fodidi oôdun meta gbajo lai ko oruko eni kankan sile, ti ko si siwo san fenikeni.’’ (Your brain is as sharp as that of Alajo Somolu, who collected thrift for three years and paid back all his customers without writing down a single name and without making a single mistake with the payment).

There is also another one that goes thus:
“Ori e pe bii Alajo Somolu, to ta moto, to fi ra keke”. (You are so intelligent like Alajo Somolu, who sold his car to buy a bicycle).

Baba Alajo Shomolu was discused on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3331888/alajo-somolu-nigerias-most-famous/

As you can see, our native languages also have the same grammar and syntax structures to coin words, and we do indeed coin such words. Its just that we continue to vilify our native languages in favor of English.

Again, the same things we fool ourselves studying in English and French in Africa, we do have them as well in our various native languages and cultures across Africa.

Africans, come to your senses. Start asking questions like; what is education? What is knowledge? Is it right to acquire knowledge in foreign language instead of using your own language?. The information on this thread is not necessary knowledge, it is indoctrination!. English language is not better than our native African languages!.
I couldn't resist sharing this
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by FreshBoss007: 11:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
you try.. one dubic for you
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by sade1994(f): 1:06am On Dec 23, 2016
Very educative. ..
Tnks
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by warrah(m): 7:30am On Dec 23, 2016
musicwriter:

This is one of the reason knowledge acquisition in English language is such a disaster to Africa.

Any culture in the world can coin, and indeed do coin such words. Popular one I can readily remember is "ọsọ Abiola" which was coined by Igbos running out of Lagos during the annulled June 12th 1993 presidential election won by Moshood Abiola. Its used to describe the "period" within the last days of former head of state, IBB- the exact time Lagos was deserted.

ỌSỌ in Igbo could mean RUN, RUNNING, RAN (depending on the context) and of course, everybody know Abiola and can easily translate "ọsọ Abiola" to your various native languages.

The words listed on this thread that they want you to know should only make sense to those cultures that coined them, not you as an African. Its not up to us to adopt their grammar structure, cause we're not English people!.

If you check the Binis, Efiks, Hausas, Nupes, Fulanis, Ijaws, Ibibios, e.t.c who ran from Lagos during "ọsọ Abiola", you'll discover they also formed similar words to describe that period. Because, language by nature does that for all cultures!. Its just that we still consider our languages inferior just as the British taught us, and therefore, don't consider our own creation as knowledge since we still think knowledge is only knowledge when white man create it.

Noam Chomsky (the world's best living linguist) said that every language in the world possess the same natural capability to coin words in similar way!!.

As a matter of fact, there's this Yoruba man called Alajo Shomolu who lived in the mid 1900's and was said to be a thrift collector, and through him so many words entered into the Yoruba lexicon. Yet, the name of this man doesn't appear any where in textbooks in Yorubaland. Such a great man of historical importance reduced to mythology because of our stupidity!. And we're here studying European Draco; when we have people of same historical importance right here in our own cultures?

At the peak of his career, Alajo Shomolu was said to be so diligent at his work that adages were coined in his name. The sayings are as follows: ‘’Ori e pe bii ti alajo Somolu, to fodidi oôdun meta gbajo lai ko oruko eni kankan sile, ti ko si siwo san fenikeni.’’ (Your brain is as sharp as that of Alajo Somolu, who collected thrift for three years and paid back all his customers without writing down a single name and without making a single mistake with the payment).

“Ori e pe bii Alajo Somolu, to ta moto, to fi ra keke”. (You are so intelligent like Alajo Somolu, who sold his car to buy a bicycle).

Baba Alajo Shomolu was discused on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3331888/alajo-somolu-nigerias-most-famous/

As you can see, our native languages also have the same grammar and syntax structures to coin words, and we do indeed coin such words. Its just that we continue to vilify our native languages in favor of English.

Again, the same things we fool ourselves studying in English and French in Africa, we do have them as well in our various native languages and cultures across Africa.

Africans, come to your senses. Start asking questions like; what is education? What is knowledge? Is it right to acquire knowledge in foreign language instead of using your own language?. The information on this thread is not necessary knowledge, it is indoctrination!. English language is not better than our native African languages!.

What you said is very correct. Sometimes I wonder if Africa will ever get it right.

I am an avid reader of your blog, whenever I browse the net and see websites written in Russian, Chinese or Arabic languages, I remember your piece about looking for an Igbo keyboard and wonder when we will get to see a whole website in our own native indigenous language.

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by SolexxBarry(m): 8:15am On Dec 23, 2016
Very educating,I think buhari should be added to the list,Buhari =Hunger
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Since u are such a good advocate of the local dialect, why didn't u compose this epistle in your local dialect??
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Since u are such a good advocate of the local dialect, why didn't u compose this epistle in your local dialect??

I wasn't there when English was forced down the throats of our ancestors. I went to school like you and was schooled to master the English language as my first language, thereby denying me the same power I would've had to express myself in Igbo. If I was schooled in Igbo I would've of course written this in Igbo. If I was schooled in Yoruba I would've written in fluent Yoruba. E.t.c. So, I' am a victim by default.

But, at least I understand its a problem when we can't communicate in our native languages, unlike you deep in the matrix enjoying your slavery.

What's worse than a slave who doesn't know he's a slave??
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 7:41pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

I wasn't there when English was forced down the throats of our ancestors. I went to school like you and was schooled to master the English language as my first language, thereby denying me the same power I would've had to express myself in Igbo.
So, I' am a victim by default.

But, at least I understand its a problem when we can't communicate in our native languages, unlike you deep in the matrix enjoying your slavery.

What's worse than a slave who doesn't know he's a slave??

You are the slave here because I happen to speak igbo fluently, you are not a victim by default,you chose to be a victim.
Your excuse about English language denying you the power to speak your native dialect is very lame, I was born in Benin and my parents never communicated with me in igbo, I learnt it myself.
I'chori muta asusu gi, i'ga muta ya, odiro a'ru
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 7:47pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

You are the slave here because I happen to speak igbo fluently, you are not a victim by default,you chose to be a victim.
Your excuse about English language denying you the power to speak your native dialect is very lame, I was born in Benin and my parents never communicated with me in igbo, I learnt it myself.

Honestly, you don't understand what the issues are, and I think it's a waste of time holding any discussion with you on this topic.

You said you're an Igbo. So, why can't you communicate me in Igbo since I' am also Igbo?

Enjoy your slavery.........
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 8:15pm On Dec 24, 2016
[quote author=musicwriter post=52228142]

Honestly, you don't understand what the issues are, and I think it's a waste of time holding any discussion with you on this topic.

You said you're an Igbo. So, why can't you communicate me in Igbo since I' am also Igbo?

Enjoy your slavery.........[/quote

Why will I communicate with you in igbo when you don't comprehend igbo? Henceforth, if you can't type all this your hogwash in igbo, stop disturbing me please and go find something to do with your life, from all your write - up, you come across as a sadist to me
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 8:20pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Enjoy your slavery.........

I wrote this before in igbo and you did not understand it, let me say it again....... I'chori muta asusu gi, i'ga muta ya, odiro a'ru.......... Let me translate in English since you are a slave to that language (if you really want to learn your language, you can learn it, it is not difficult
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 8:24pm On Dec 24, 2016
[quote author=bartho77 post=52228819][/quote]

This is why you're a slave who don't understand he's a slave!.

I' am an Igbo man. Start communicating me in Igbo. Simple!!
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 8:26pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

This is why you're a slave who don't understand he's a slave!.

I' am an Igbo man. Start communicating me in Igbo. Simple!!

You are the advocate of our local dialect, start communicating with me in igbo and I will follow up, lead by example, I did not start this, you did.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 9:04pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

I wrote this before in igbo and you did not understand it, let me say it again....... I'chori muta asusu gi, i'ga muta ya, odiro a'ru.......... Let me translate in English since you are a slave to that language (if you really want to learn your language, you can learn it, it is not difficult

There's nothing like "i'chori" in Igbo. The closest is ịchọrọ.

To learn " ịmụta " not muta. Muta is learn in Igbo.

There's nothing like "asusu" in Igbo. The closest is "asụsụ".

I'ga Amuta ya. Here I believe you wanted to say "ị'ga amuta ya".

Odiro a'ru. Here you wanted to say "osighị Ike".

What you want to say is "ị' chọrọ ịmụta asụsụ gị, ị'ga amụta ya. Osighị ike".

Do you know why I' am writing all these down for you? To show you the foolery in your inability to express yourself in your language.

When you understand why you write in fair English but have F9 in writing in your own Igbo dialect you'll understand what I' am talking about.

I think I' am done with you.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

There's nothing like "i'chori" in Igbo. The closest is ịchọrọ.

To learn " ịmụta " not muta. Muta is learn in Igbo.

There's nothing like "asusu" in Igbo. The closest is "asụsụ".

I'ga Amuta ya. Here I believe you wanted to say "ị'ga amuta ya".

Odiro a'ru. Here you wanted to say "osighị Ike".

What you want to say is "ị' chọrọ ịmụta asụsụ gị, ị'ga amuta ya. Osighị Ike".

Do you know why I' am writing all these down for you? To show you the foolery in your inability to express yourself in your language.

When you understand why you write in fair English but have F9 in writing in your own Igbo dialect you'll understand what I' am talking about.

I think I' am done with you.

Lolzzzzzzz, all thanks to Google translate for your life, my question is why didn't type everything in igbo..... It took you close to 4 hours to get the translation for just a single sentence, only God knows how many centuries it will take for you to translate all your epistles
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 9:24pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Lolzzzzzzz, all thanks to Google translate for your life, my question is why didn't type everything in igbo

Ngwa deghachiri' m na ntụgharị google. K'anyị mara onye ka asụ Igbo taa.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 9:31pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Ngwa deghachiri' m na ntụgharị google. Kanyị mara onye ka asụ Igbo taa.

Odimma, ka anyï na-amalite, M ga-eti gï nke Öma taa.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 10:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Odimma, ka anyï na-amalite, M ga-eti gï nke Öma taa.

Nke mbụ, ihe ị n'asụ abụghi ezigbo asụsụ Igbo. Ako na uche k' am ji aghọta ịhe ị'na asụ maka n'ịmaghị ka eji asụ asụsụ Igbo.

N' asụsụ Igbo, onweghị ihe ana akpọ "odimma". Ihe ịchoro ikwu bụ "odị mma". "Ọdị" bụ nkpụrụ okwu nọrọ onwe ya, "Mma" bụ nkpụrụ okwu nọrọ onwe ya.

"M ga-eti gï nke Öma taa". Ọzọ, ihe ị'na achọ ikwu ebea edoghị anya. Ihe ịchọrọ ikwu bụ "M ga akuziri gị nke oma".

Ya mere, onweghị uru ọbara mu na gị ịna asụ Igbo maka n' ịmaghi ka eji asụ. Nani otu ihe m' ga eme ebea bụ ịna akụziri gị Igbo.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 10:18pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Mke mbụ, ihe ị n'asụ abụghi ezigbo asụsụ Igbo. Ako na uche k' am ji aghọta ịhe ị'na asụ maka n'ịmaghị ka eji asụ asụsụ Igbo.

N' asụsụ Igbo, onweghị ihe ana akpọ "odimma". Ihe ịchoro ikwu bụ "odị mma". "Ọdị" bụ nkpụrụ okwu nọrọ onwe ya, "Mma" bụ nkpụrụ okwu nọrọ onwe ya.

"M ga-eti gï nke Öma taa". Ọzọ, ihe ị'na achọ ikwu ebea edoghị anya. Ihe ịchọrọ ikwu bụ "M ga akuziri gị nke oma".

Ya mere, onweghị uru ọbara mu na gị ịna asụ Igbo maka N' ịmaghi ka eji asụ.

Ama m ihe m na-ekwu, m wee sị m ga-eti gị (beat you) agaghị akụziri (teach you) ihe.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 10:22pm On Dec 24, 2016
Ọ bụghị amamihe, ị na-ahụ Igbo ike ịghọta
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 10:33pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Ama m ihe m na-ekwu, m wee sị m ga-eti gị (beat you) agaghị akụziri (teach you) ihe.

Agaghị akụziri (means will not re-teach) not (teach you). Teach you is "kụziere gị".

Ọkwa ikwuru na ina asụ asụsụ Igbo nke ọma?

Biko hapụ ịsu asụsụ bekee. k'anyị sụwa Igbo n'abalị a. Bido n'ede ọtụtụ ihe ka ịna edegbu n'asụsụ bekee.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 10:44pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Agaghị akụziri (means will not re-teach) not (teach you). Teach you is "kụziere gị".

Ọkwa ikwuru na ina asụ asụsụ Igbo nke ọma?

Biko hapụ ịsu asụsụ bekee. k'anyị sụwa Igbo 'abalị a. Bido n'ede ọtụtụ ihe ka ịna edegbu n'asụsụ bekee.

Nwokem, agaghị akụziri means(not teach), M gwara gị, ị na-aghọta igbo
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 11:08pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Nwokem, agaghị akụziri means(not teach), M gwara gị, ị na-aghọta igbo

Ihe m' hụrụ ebe ahụ na mbu bụ "agaghị akụzighari". Amaghị 'm ma ịgaghachiri degharịa ya.

Bido dewa nụ ọtụtụ ihe ahụ ị'na edegbu n'oge mbụ na asụsụ bekee. Hapụ ime ide otu ahịrị ị'gbapụ.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 11:18pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Ihe m' hụrụ ebe ahụ na mbu bụ "agaghị akụzighari". Amaghị 'm ma ịgaghachiri degharịa ya.

Bido dewa nụ ọtụtụ ihe ahụ ị'na edegbu n'oge mbụ na asụsụ bekee. Hapụ ime ide otu ahịrị ị'gbapụ.

Ọ dị ka ị nwere anya nsogbu, ihe m dere bụ "agaghị akụziri".......... Ị na-ero ụra?
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by musicwriter(m): 11:37pm On Dec 24, 2016
bartho77:

Ọ dị ka ị nwere anya nsogbu, ihe m dere bụ "agaghị akụziri".......... Ị na-ero ụra?

Mba.

O nweghị ihe ọzọ m'hụrụ anyị n'ekwu ebea. Otụ ntabi anya, ịnwezighị ike ịde ọtụtụ ihe ị'na ede oge mbụ n'asụsụ bekee. Ma onweghị ihe ọzọ ịmutara taa, ịhugo n' amamihe ide asụsụ Igbo nke ghị bu ihe siri ike maka na ndi ọcha n'oge gboo ejirigo aghụghọ napụ gi ike site n'ikuzuri gị asụsụ nke ha.

Ka odi oge ọzọ.
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by bartho77(m): 11:59pm On Dec 24, 2016
musicwriter:

Mba.

O nweghị ihe ọzọ m'hụrụ anyị n'ekwu ebea. Otụ ntabi anya, ịnwezighị ike ịde ọtụtụ ihe ị'na ede oge mbụ n'asụsụ bekee. Ma onweghị ihe ọzọ ịmutara taa, ịhugo n' amamihe ide asụsụ Igbo nke ghị bu ihe siri ike maka na ndi ọcha n'oge gboo ejirigo aghụghọ napụ gi ike site n'ikuzuri gị asụsụ nke ha.

Ka odi oge ọzọ.

Ị na-aga ikwu okwu Igbo onye na-adịghị aghọta Igbo? Asụsụ bekee bụ anyị asụsụ bụ isi, anyị na-eji kwa ụbọchị, nke mere ma na-amasị ya ma ọ bụ, ihe ndị ahụ ndị dị oké mkpa dị ka ogologo oge na-asụ bekee.

Ị bụ nwanne m nwoke....... Obi ụtọ Christmas na-aga ziri afọ ọhụrụ! !!
Re: 25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History by hitchowoyemi(m): 1:54am On Dec 25, 2016
we'll accept that as an advice but it doesnt rule out the fact that OP had done a good job.
musicwriter:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download "rich Dad,poor Dad " Ebook For Free Here / Business Management Versus Business Law Which Holds Better Prospects / How Did You Meet Your First Lover In The University.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.