Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,636 members, 7,958,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:27 AM

High Rate Of Divorce In Our Society Today-what Is God View? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / High Rate Of Divorce In Our Society Today-what Is God View? (538 Views)

Why Has Pre-marital Sex Become A Norm In Our Society Today? / About The High Rate Of People Luring Others Into Sex / About The High-rate Of Sexual Immoralities In The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

High Rate Of Divorce In Our Society Today-what Is God View? by Ekestar(m): 6:26pm On Dec 22, 2016
To start this discussion I will first try to explain what divorce simply stands for in the simplest form. According to Cambridge Advance Learners Dictionary, the word divorce comes to play when a marriage is ended by an official or legal process. This simply means that the man and woman who initially agreed to stick together till death now break the vow they made to each other. We know already that marriage is a union of man and woman as husband and wife. And this union is designed by God to last until death. Now what is happening in our society today is that people are no longer committed to a life time union and this is evident in the number of divorce cases in our courts and even higher among the celebrities.
Today I will be looking into the holy scripture to see what it says concerning divorce, we know that the holy bible contains the word of God given to man for our guidance. I will also outline those things I believe are responsible for this high rate of divorce, and finally, I will enumerates the consequences of divorce to the family and society.
Matt 5:31-33
31 "It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'
32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
33 "Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.'
The above scripture is telling us that it is only on ground of unfaithfulness, infidelity, adultery that God allows separation. What I don’t really know if this unfaithfulness is to sexual immorality alone or general unfaithfulness like in disobedience to the husband. It therefore means that as married couples we should cultivate faithfulness in all that we do with each other especially the woman.
Having explained the above passage, the scripture said also that it is not the wish of God for married couples to divorce. Mark 10:1-12
10 Jesus then left that place and went into the region of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds of people came to him, and as was his custom, he taught them.
2 Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"
3 "What did Moses command you?" he replied.
4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."
5 "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied.
6 "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'
7 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8 and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one.
9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this.
11 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.
12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."
NIV
If you read this scripture very well you will understand that nothing should separate married couples, not even unfaithfulness. It therefore means that if couples should allow unfaithfulness to separate them, they must remain unmarried to another. They will be committing adultery if they marry another. Though there are exceptional cases to this passage as written by Apostle Paul.
It therefore means that we should treasure our marriages, committed to its survival, help esach other to be the best we want and most importantly pray for our partner because not every behavior your partner exhibits are ordinary.
I personally advice constant communication between the couples to resolve friction in their relationship. From my observations, the following can be said to have contributed to the high rate of divorce in our society; un-forgiveness, lack of adequate commitment to the marriage, lack of respect to the man, abuse of the woman by the husband, childlessness etc. There are many other things but these are the basic causes in my own opinion. I believe with love one can surmount divorce and other problems common to marriage. Because inside love is commitment, understanding, trust, faithfulness, patience etc.
The consequences of divorce is enormous, here there are; vagabonds everywhere resulting to increase in crime rate, encourages adulterous lifestyle, violation of God principle and law which the penalty we all know, transfer of the same mindset to younger and future generation etc.
In conclusion, divorce is a route taken by those who don’t fear God, those that don’t want to make sacrifices, those that lack love and commitment. Even when your partner is guilty of unfaithfulness if you believe in marriage for life you will refuse to take the part of divorce.
Thanks for taking your time to read this post, wait for next edition as it comes to you.
Re: High Rate Of Divorce In Our Society Today-what Is God View? by BlackDBagba: 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2016
In other words bla bla bla.... angry

(1) (Reply)

Exactly Why Is It That You Think PAUL Was A CHRISTIAN? / Proof Jesus Is Truly Lord *no Need For Blind Faith Again* - Olivaturp2 / Sex Is More Than Intercourse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.