Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,203 members, 7,829,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo (24334 Views)

Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by leelee1(f): 5:08am On Nov 18, 2009
Im a Jamaican American, who has been dating a Igbo guy. He has presented marriage a few times. Then out of the blues he tells me he has to marry a Nigerian because of his Mom and Grandmother said he has to. We love each other and I want to know if this will blow over or should run while have the chance?

Thanks for your honest opinion.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by OgidiBoy(m): 5:11am On Nov 18, 2009
I think his just trying to chicken out from marring you.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Mutee: 2:32am On Nov 23, 2009
i guess about 70% of Igbo men get married to their women. If he really loves you as you claim then i see no excuse.

And again, whomsoever ur creator has destined for you will never pass you by believe me. Good luck
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 23, 2009
@ Poster!

Igbos are very tribalistic. Every Igbo man/woman secretly wants to marry from the east. Some fall in love with people from other tribes and races and they still go ahead to marry them. That is not very common. In my whole family, both from my mother and father's side, nobody has ever married a non-igbo. That's how serious it can get.

Of cost people are moving past that now but if he's close to his family, then they will most likely advice him not to marry you!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by echobee(f): 4:52pm On Dec 02, 2009
thank God u talk true.u try
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by leelee1(f): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2010
I haven't checked this post in long time!!!! I want to thank everyone for their honest opinion,

and yes MUTEE whom ever the creator has for me it will not pass me by. By the way ECHO-BEE I like your name sounds really YARDY (JAMAICAN)!!!!!
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:19pm On Jan 18, 2010
When his mother and grandmother is involved. . .sorry dear but your chances are slim. Just hope he picks you.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by henryhemon(m): 10:46pm On Jan 18, 2010
I don't think that's entirely true,me n my frens are Igbos n I have never dated an igbo girl bf n ve no intention of marrying one,same with my frens.we all ve girls from different tribes n it depends on ur personality.But I'm ain't denying d fact that some other igbo men tend 2 marry igbo women but its same with every single tribe in nigeria,I can give u countless examples.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by mamagee3(f): 10:52pm On Jan 18, 2010
Yes, it's possible. tongue
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Princek12(m): 11:55pm On Jan 18, 2010
Igbos are very tribalistic, some even villagistic. Some Igbos would not even marry another Igbo who is not from the same village.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by henryhemon(m): 4:29am On Jan 19, 2010
Every tribe has prejudice against igbos,which tribe isn't tribalistic?I have seen countless igbo men/women marry from other tribes.this is 21st century n this ethnicity stuff should die.A cultured igbo man can marry from even venus.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Freiburger(m): 4:36pm On Jan 19, 2010
Princek12:

Igbos are very tribalistic, some even villagistic. Some Igbos would not even marry another Igbo who is not from the same village.

thats very true
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by koolchicco: 5:09pm On Jan 19, 2010
mama-gee:

Yes, it's possible. tongue

I h8 to do this! But for once lemme quote/concur with this yeye woman! tongue
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by hackney(m): 10:19pm On Jan 19, 2010
The truth is that most people will prefer to marry from their regions but some
people just put more effort in doing so.
I think all the other tribes in nigeria like to marry from their tribes.

Just an honest observation.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by platinumnk(f): 10:36pm On Jan 19, 2010
Princek12:

You mean you are NOT supposed to marry from your OWN Village shocked You could be related!

@poster- Well The igbos loooove tradition and at times they think marrying other nationalities will hinder the progress of traditions but I believe thats false.

Maybe he is not strong enough to refuse his elders. I know I have been told the same but its ultimately who you love and bond with, and he feels that he cant live without you then he will manage you and his parents, but if he cant, then he cant.

sorry sad
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 19, 2010
@Poster
I feel ya.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Rooneyboy(m): 8:52pm On Jan 25, 2010
ThoniaSlim:

When his mother and grandmother is involved.  . .sorry dear but your chances are slim. Just hope he picks you.
what do u mean ?
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Abagworo(m): 11:44pm On Jan 26, 2010
Princek12:

henryhemon:

Every tribe has prejudice against igbos,which tribe isn't tribalistic?I have seen countless igbo men/women marry from other tribes.this is 21st century n this ethnicity stuff should die.A cultured igbo man can marry from even venus.

actually some igbos prefer marrying close to home especially anambra state and ohafia-bende-abiriba area in abia state

I have never been to any region in nigeria with as much mixed race as the ngwas in abia state.i have gone round everywhere in southwest and southeast.i mean marrying caucasians.i have seen sizeable mixed in riverine rivers and crossriver too.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 12:17am On Jan 27, 2010
Princek12:

Igbos are very tribalistic, some even villagistic. The Igbo do not marry another Igbo who is from the same village.
I made some amendments to your above quote. . .

Abagworo:

actually some igbos prefer marrying close to home especially anambra state and ohafia-bende-abiriba area in abia state

I have never been to any region in nigeria with as much mixed race as the ngwas in abia state.i have gone round everywhere in southwest and southeast.i mean marrying caucasians.i have seen sizeable mixed in riverine rivers and crossriver too.
Very true.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by kbook: 2:21pm On Oct 01, 2012
organic chicken!!!
OgidiBoy: I think his just trying to chicken out from marring you.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by kbook: 2:22pm On Oct 01, 2012
organic chicken!!!
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by MrsChima1(f): 3:40pm On Oct 01, 2012
I remembered going to school with this Nigerian girl who is mixed (Igbo/Edo) and she would invite me to her home on several occasions. She told me that her father is Igbo and her mother is Edo. I remembered seeing a lot of her family members wearing red beads and caps. I thought it was a party theme until she told me that is part of their customs. I have seen White, Asian, Non-African Blacks, and Hispanic women with Igbo men and the family seems to embrace such women. They all seems to be happy and in love with each other. I met three of her father's uncles and all of them had non-Igbo women from Nigeria. She had some aunts that were Igbo with non-Igbo men from Nigeria as well.

It is all depends on the family...if you have a family that is tribalistic of course they would prefer their own however a smart family will encourage their family members to marry who bring happiness.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by mafolayomi(f): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2012
Ujujoan: @ Poster!

Igbos are very tribalistic. Every Igbo man/woman secretly wants to marry from the east. Some fall in love with people from other tribes and races and they still go ahead to marry them. That is not very common. In my whole family, both from my mother and father's side, nobody has ever married a non-igbo. That's how serious it can get.

Of cost people are moving past that now but if he's close to his family, then they will most likely advice him not to marry you!

you ar very correct o, and its nt just d igbos, even yorubas, i am d only one that married a non yoruba, and even outside Abk our town, they all married from Abeokuta, even those that leaves outside Abeokuta still went ahead and married from Abk, so, dis really made it very difficult for me, but thank God i married who i love and not to saticfy anybody
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by preselect(m): 1:57pm On Oct 09, 2012
It is not uncommon for igbos to marry non igbos

I have white in-laws.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by MrsChima1(f): 3:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
Igbos aren't the only tribe that are marrying non-Africans.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Blyss: 9:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
lee lee: Im a Jamaican American, who has been dating a Igbo guy. He has presented marriage a few times. Then out of the blues he tells me he has to marry a Nigerian because of his Mom and Grandmother said he has to. We love each other and I want to know if this will blow over or should run while have the chance?

Thanks for your honest opinion.

Yes, it's common. Loads are married/engaged to Black-American and White chicks here in the US.
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by mimee9(f): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
Hope

1 Like

Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by oboy3(m): 9:15am On Dec 21, 2013
mimee9: I almost died when my fiancee showed me to his people,as the girl he wants to marry,they liked me...but the said their son must marry from their village,anambra people are very tribalistic,
dont generalize it biko,i am from anambra state and my sister is married to njaba in imo state,maybe the man in question dosent like you in the first place,how can his people choose for him?
Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by Afrobeau: 7:07am On Jan 03, 2014
I don't know why people like coining in a bad word for any action that doesn't suit their desires. Igbos are tribalistic? Then you mean in a good way. That Igbos marry only Igbos is NOT a bad thing. All these people that are quick to rush to other races are actually killing their culture. I know most igbos have told me they would love to marry another Igbo, I understand their stand and there's nothing wrong with that. That way, they would understand each other better. If it's a girl from another tribe but grew up in Igbo land, it would be ok.

1 Like

Re: Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo by tonychristopher: 10:59am On Jan 03, 2014
mimee9: I almost died when my fiancee showed me to his people,as the girl he wants to marry,they liked me...but the said their son must marry from their village,anambra people are very tribalistic,

why igbo men marry igbo speaking people is because the non igbo women has complacency to cheat and divorce.thats why..the truth must be told

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) / Delta Community Conducts Traditional Cleansing, Curses Cultists, Criminals (Pix) / Learn How To Speak Hausa In A Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.