Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,854 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi (10272 Views)

Daniel Amokachi: I Slept At T.B Joshua’s Church For Weeks, Got No Miracle / Gernot Rohr Ranked Among Top Twenty National Team Coaches In The World / Cameroon Appoints Clarence Seedorf And Patric Kluivert As Team Coaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by exlink10(m): 5:50am On Dec 24, 2016
Former Nigeria captain and star Daniel Amokachi has said the practice of local coaches being bribed to invite players onto the country’s national teams is endemic. Despite no one being found guilty of the accusation, there have long been suspicions it happens in Nigeria.

“Agents always come to give money for their players to be invited to camp,” said Amokachi. “Does it have to be so?” The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has asked Amokachi to produce evidence to support his claims. The 43-year-old, who won the Africa Cup of Nations as a player in 1994, says it is time people spoke up about an issue that he says has long bedevilled the Nigerian game.

“We know this thing has been going on for a while but we have to voice it,” the current manager of Finnish second tier side JS Hercules told BBC Sport. Previously, Amokachi worked as an assistant to former Super Eagles coaches Stephen Keshi (2011-15), Shaibu Amodu (2008-10) and Austin Eguavoen (2005-2007). He says that all three used to complain about the practice.

“Every time Amodu would tell me: ‘Can you listen to these useless agents that are calling me? They want to give me US$10,000, $20,000 and $30,000 to bring their players in.'” “But he’s a man of integrity and wouldn’t take it. I worked with Keshi and it was the same scenario. With Eguavoen, it was the same. “If these three names mentioned had not had integrity, definitely they would have fallen victim.”

But Mohammed Sanusi, the NFF General Secretary, rejected Amokachi’s allegations while also calling on him to furnish the organisation with more information. “I think it is unfair to make such allegations and not mention the names of those involved,” Sanusi told BBC Sport.

“It would be fair if he mentions the names of those who have either approached him or approached some people to give them money. He should also mention people who he knew collected money. “I think that will be the best way to go about it. “I have not heard of this issue from any quarter and I can tell you that the NFF will not tolerate this kind of behaviour. If Amokachi has evidence of what he has said he should bring it forward and we will take it up.”

The former international, who enjoyed a fruitful career in Europe with Anderlecht (Belgium), Everton (England) and Besiktas (Turkey), says he has been inspired to speak out after being accused of the practice himself.

It came after Nigeria, African champions in 2013, failed to qualify for next month’s Nations Cup in Gabon. “Someone accused me lately, (saying) ‘the reason Nigeria did not qualify is because all you coaches demand bribes.'” “You understand? I felt the pain.” “So if he is painting me as a bad egg among a few, then somebody like me cannot be quiet about it.”

“Coaches will confirm people bring money but they will not say it. “Players will confess, even assistant coaches will confirm this thing is going on, but the system does not allow you because a lot of us are hungry and afraid that ‘when I say this, I will never be near that office again.'”

In October, Amokachi asked the national anti-graft agency to investigate high-level corruption blighting football in Nigeria – but has yet to hear back.

http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/12/nigeria-national-team-coaches-are-being.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by hisgrace090: 5:54am On Dec 24, 2016
Not different from others. This is naija, though we need change of attitude.
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by veekid(m): 12:50pm On Dec 24, 2016

who doesn't know that
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by BornStunner1: 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2016

Nigeria that you bribe nurses and doctors to give your relatives special treatment at the detriment of the poor ones!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

this ones are talking bout bribe and national team undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by don4real18(m): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2016
there are some things that can't be proven but it happens

1 Like

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by ritababe(f): 12:55pm On Dec 24, 2016
I miss the big boss

if keshi, Eguavoen and Amodu didn't collect bribe then he don't have to complain because they are the most popular Nigeria coaches.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by IYANGBALI: 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2016
No wonder MMM crashed
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by mostyg(m): 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2016
How can Amokachi be 43 years old?
How much did he receive when he was the assistant National coach?

1 Like

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by kingdenny(m): 12:57pm On Dec 24, 2016
Thats the naija way , unless such corruption is eradicated, we will never win the world cup QED
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:58pm On Dec 24, 2016
Anyway, i'm not surprised because this is Nigeria where you have to expect the unexpected.
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Scream(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2016
Why didn't he say that when he was the assistant coach? He should go and park Joo... nothing new was said
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Kylekent59: 1:00pm On Dec 24, 2016
So TRUE
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by soulhighman(m): 1:00pm On Dec 24, 2016
It's the truth, I have a friend who was a victim of that. The coach told him he was good enough for the team, but asked "who is going to sponsor you?"
Truth is the players that represent Nigeria are not always the best hands we have, there are usually a lot others out there who deserved the slot. The only reason it isn't so obvious is that we have a lot of talents, so even when the second bests are picked, the gap will still not show.

2 Likes

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by habayommy: 1:01pm On Dec 24, 2016
No be today, it have tey
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by admax(m): 1:02pm On Dec 24, 2016
Bribery and corruption has been embedded our way of life in Nigeria. In every facet; schools, work, hospitals etc

You don't fight it but manage it. Buhari can give you more explanation if you require it. A man fighting corruption yet surrounded by corrupt individuals and he refuses to notice!

I hope God hasn't given up on us?
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Legend87(m): 1:05pm On Dec 24, 2016
IYANGBALI:
No wonder MMM crashed
No longer trendy or funny.. So, try to catch up with new updates and trends.

1 Like

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by prinsam30: 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2016
even Saint amokachi is not exonerated from the school of bribery,he participated in one way or the other, you wondered why keshi had to sacked him at the later end

he's also corrupt
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by mooremoney(m): 1:15pm On Dec 24, 2016
Amokachi and Stephen keshi use to collect bribe, he should not deny it. I know a player that gave him money just to play for the national team. Nonsense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Realhommie(m): 1:15pm On Dec 24, 2016
This corroborates Emmanuel Sarki's claims... Pathetic
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by IYANGBALI: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2016
Legend87:

No longer trendy or funny.. So, try to catch up with new updates and trends.
no wonder MMM crashed tongue tongue
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by dejavubobo1(m): 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2016
Cry me a river, like he didn't collect wen he was d acting gaffar

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 24, 2016
What year did he say this recently
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by erosimo(m): 1:48pm On Dec 24, 2016
Na true
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by degemstone(m): 2:23pm On Dec 24, 2016
He should have remain silent when he knew that he has no evidence to support his claims, though might be true. #MyThought
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Angrymode: 2:34pm On Dec 24, 2016
LIES

I said lies because he was there when Shola Ameobi bribed his way into the national team.

Just imagine coaches that don't get paid regularly rejecting 10k, 20k and even 30k USD. Impossible tense!!!

It is true that players either bribe or asked to pay bribes in other to play but Eguavon, Siasia, Keshi and every other former Nigerian coach are no saints. Just like police, they are all guilty on taking bribe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Nbote(m): 2:35pm On Dec 24, 2016
Like say he got to the glass house on merit. Everyone knows dat but d mere fact dat he's trying to paint a select few as Saint says a lot. They're all involved in it so make him jus kip quiet and let sleeping dogs lie. If not for bribery and corruption how are most of dem in d glass house in general qualified to run our football talk more of our coaches who are fired and rehired and den d cycle continues.
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by ultimate73(m): 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2016
Issorait
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by docadams: 3:16pm On Dec 24, 2016
mostyg:
How can Amokachi be 43 years old?
How much did he receive when he was the assistant National coach?

Why can't he be 43 years old? He was an academical when he played for Nigeria in Algiers 90.

1 Like

Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Handsomebeing(m): 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2016
exlink10:
Former Nigeria captain and star Daniel Amokachi has said the practice of local coaches being bribed to invite players onto the country’s national teams is endemic. Despite no one being found guilty of the accusation, there have long been suspicions it happens in Nigeria.

“Agents always come to give money for their players to be invited to camp,” said Amokachi. “Does it have to be so?” The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has asked Amokachi to produce evidence to support his claims. The 43-year-old, who won the Africa Cup of Nations as a player in 1994, says it is time people spoke up about an issue that he says has long bedevilled the Nigerian game.

“We know this thing has been going on for a while but we have to voice it,” the current manager of Finnish second tier side JS Hercules told BBC Sport. Previously, Amokachi worked as an assistant to former Super Eagles coaches Stephen Keshi (2011-15), Shaibu Amodu (2008-10) and Austin Eguavoen (2005-2007). He says that all three used to complain about the practice.

“Every time Amodu would tell me: ‘Can you listen to these useless agents that are calling me? They want to give me US$10,000, $20,000 and $30,000 to bring their players in.'” “But he’s a man of integrity and wouldn’t take it. I worked with Keshi and it was the same scenario. With Eguavoen, it was the same. “If these three names mentioned had not had integrity, definitely they would have fallen victim.”

But Mohammed Sanusi, the NFF General Secretary, rejected Amokachi’s allegations while also calling on him to furnish the organisation with more information. “I think it is unfair to make such allegations and not mention the names of those involved,” Sanusi told BBC Sport.

“It would be fair if he mentions the names of those who have either approached him or approached some people to give them money. He should also mention people who he knew collected money. “I think that will be the best way to go about it. “I have not heard of this issue from any quarter and I can tell you that the NFF will not tolerate this kind of behaviour. If Amokachi has evidence of what he has said he should bring it forward and we will take it up.”

The former international, who enjoyed a fruitful career in Europe with Anderlecht (Belgium), Everton (England) and Besiktas (Turkey), says he has been inspired to speak out after being accused of the practice himself.

It came after Nigeria, African champions in 2013, failed to qualify for next month’s Nations Cup in Gabon. “Someone accused me lately, (saying) ‘the reason Nigeria did not qualify is because all you coaches demand bribes.'” “You understand? I felt the pain.” “So if he is painting me as a bad egg among a few, then somebody like me cannot be quiet about it.”

“Coaches will confirm people bring money but they will not say it. “Players will confess, even assistant coaches will confirm this thing is going on, but the system does not allow you because a lot of us are hungry and afraid that ‘when I say this, I will never be near that office again.'”

In October, Amokachi asked the national anti-graft agency to investigate high-level corruption blighting football in Nigeria – but has yet to hear back.

http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/12/nigeria-national-team-coaches-are-being.html?m=1

I was taken to under 17 coach early 2001 to join them in training. First, he said I was too young and won't make it through. I was 17 then. Later he asked for money if we are truly serious for me to be in the team. That was how I lost my dream of playing soccer.

Second time: Met a lady that knows Siasia. It was a waste of time too. No money, no selection.
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by 2rucool(m): 5:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
Bros you don't have to tell us, you are all guilty of the offense.
That's just your way.
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by femi4: 5:36pm On Dec 24, 2016
mooremoney:
Amokachi and Stephen keshi use to collect bribe, he should not deny it. I know a player that gave him money just to play for the national team. Nonsense
Shola
Re: National Team Coaches Are Being Offered Bribe To Invite Players - Amokachi by Harfisco(m): 5:40pm On Dec 24, 2016
Mention names

(1) (2) (Reply)

Super Eagles Of Nigeria (0) Vs Columbia (1) / I Want To Make You Guys Win With Me... / Sports Editors Tell NFF Board Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.