Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,695 members, 7,820,427 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

JAMES IBORI: A Broom For Sale - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JAMES IBORI: A Broom For Sale (1090 Views)

“ibori, A Unifying Figure In Nigeria”- Secondus, Okowa, Uduaghan / James Ibori At The Burial Of Johnbull Fatimiro In Delta (Photos) / James Ibori Released From Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

JAMES IBORI: A Broom For Sale by Chizgold: 4:35pm On Dec 24, 2016
I’m not sure I understand this whole outrage over James Ibori’s release from London prison. Yes, Ibori is a despicable thief who should rot in hell. But why is his case different? At least he has done some prison time. What about his criminal peers and cohorts who have never been made to see the walls of a police cell? Why should discarding your umbrella and grabbing a broom to sweep in the rain of corruption translate to moral amnesty? C’mon, countrymen!

And hasn’t Ibori been gone from Nigeria since May 13 of 2010 when he was arrested in Dubai and later extradited to the United Kingdom to face money laundering and allied charges? Would he not later be convicted and imprisoned in the UK? Now, in May of 2010 when James Ibori was last in Nigeria, the naira was exchanging at a ratio of N165 to $1. Today, over six years since Ibori has been gone, the naira is exchanging for N490 to $1. What am I missing here?

This selective outrage is problematic for me. Look, nobody sweeps in the rain; therefore, nobody needs an umbrella and a broom at the same time. As much as the umbrella and the broom may be functionally mutually exclusive; proprietarily, they are not. The wielding of the broom should not be interpreted as being dry and clean as a whistle. The holder of the broom is still dripping wet with the stink of a derecho storm. While the rain falls, and the roads are too bad even for EFCC and law enforcement to go make an arrest, the umbrella shields the villain from the elements. As soon as the skies clear, and the messy debris from the derecho calls public attention to a messy mansion, the occupant reaches for the broom. Don’t be deceived, my friends. There is no umbrella that is separate from the broom. What we have is an umbrooma.

Tossing the umbrella and grabbing the broom is pure theater, enacted for the feeble and gullible minds. It would have been entertainment if the end were less tragic in collateral damages. I’m sure James Ibori learned to grab the broom and sweep his prison cell in London. When he grabs the broom to sweep his sprawling mansions in Nigeria, or visit Nnamdi Kanu in prison, he will have completed his moral transmogrification from the umbrella to the broom. He will have done his penance, and admonished to go, and to sin no more. And his pastor will proclaim him redeemed under the authority of 2 Corinthians 5:17, “…he is a new...

Credit: http://ikengachronicles.com/james-ibori-a-broom-for-sale-vitus-ozoke/

Re: JAMES IBORI: A Broom For Sale by decomaniaboss(f): 7:28pm On Dec 24, 2016
Hmmmm pretty intellect right up and understanding of Nigeria politics....i hall you sir ...really this is a good mixture I swear...just like stout and Smirnoff ice ....not too sweet not too bitter...
Re: JAMES IBORI: A Broom For Sale by macaphan007(m): 9:56pm On Dec 24, 2016
aptly put very cerebral write up,i was wondering why the hype about prosecuting Ibori while we are yet to witness one single conviction.They know how politically strong he is thats why they want he holding a broom....

(1) (Reply)

REVEALED: Why Armed Police Officers Raided Patience Jonathan’s Abuja Residence / Cute Photo Of Chief of Army Staff Gen.Buratai / Buhari's Incessant Breaks/Medical Trips: Fayose And Others Are Now Vindicated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.