Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,490 members, 7,836,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Totti Exclusive: Aquilani Can Be World's Best - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Totti Exclusive: Aquilani Can Be World's Best (830 Views)

Totti Takes Selfie After Scoring Roma Equaliser / Who Deserves World Best Player Btw Messi Nd Ronaldo. / Final Three World Best Players Nominees (fifa Ballon D Or) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Totti Exclusive: Aquilani Can Be World's Best by pope732901(m): 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2009
In an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, Roma captain Francesco Totti tells us why his former teammate, Alberto Aquilani, is destined to be one of the best midfielders in the world.
I Giallorossi's talisman came through the same youth system as the Reds' new number 4 and is as well placed as anyone when it comes to knowing what makes the 25-year-old tick.

Here he tells us - via Luca Fallica of RETE Sport - why he is convinced Aquilani will be an Anfield hit, how Kopites will soon be swooning over the 'rabona' and why he is certain to be a Barclays Premier League star.

Liverpoolfc.tv: Liverpool fans have only seen glimpses of Alberto Aquilani so far. What can we expect from a player you have played so closely with?

Francesco Totti: Alberto is an incredibly talented player, with great technique and an excellent understanding of the game. He also has a powerful shot with both feet – he really is a complete midfielder.

He came through the Roma ranks like you did. Are you good friends?

Yes, we are really good friends. We keep in touch even now that he has left us.

How do you see him fitting into the Liverpool system?

Alberto can play in any position in the middle of the park really, either a bit forward or a few steps behind. The advantage he has is that he really understands the game and has great vision - he is dynamic and can make the last pass or try to score himself. Here at Roma, with our 4-2-3-1 strategy, he was playing in front of the defence next to Daniele De Rossi or David Pizarro, but also as an attacking midfielder just off me. I think he can do very well in a 4-4-2 too.

How would you describe him as a player. Is he up there with the best midfielders in the world?

He is elegant and smart - these are his main characteristics. Potentially he is one of the best in the world. He has been unlucky with injuries so far but I believe he will do really well in England.

Have you spoken to him much since he moved to Merseyside?

Yes, of course. I asked him how it was going and he said he had settled in really well. He can't wait to start playing regularly.

Has he said anything about learning Scouse?

He didn't mention that really, I am sure his Roman - our dialect - is still much better! (laughs). But I know he is studying a lot to improve his English.

Aquilani has had his troubles with injuries in the past. Do you expect him to put those behind him and play a key role in Liverpool's quest for honours this year?

As I mentioned before, he hasn't been lucky in his career since all these injuries have stopped his growth. I am confident though, that he will be back at his best and prove all his worth at Liverpool.

What is your favourite memory of Alberto's career at Roma? What would you say was his best match?

Whenever Alberto had a chance to play for us he would take it and has always done well in big games. I remember the one in Madrid against Real, it was a memorable night. He hit the woodwork with a thunderous effort and 15 seconds later, Casillas deflected another one of his screamers. But that's not the only great display. Against AC Milan he did a delicious 'rabona' (his favourite move) and gave me the ball for our 2-1 win - look it up on the net! Reds fans will surely appreciate his dribbles and will discover what a great player he is.

Do you expect him to make a big impact in the Barclays Premier League? How will he adapt to the pace here?

Good players prove themselves wherever they go. Alberto will adapt to any type of football.

Will he be a key player for Italy in the World Cup?

I really hope he will be and I wish him good luck for that.

You have played at Anfield before. Did you speak with him about the great atmosphere?

Anfield is a great stadium; really exciting. Your fans are really warm. Even Riise told me about it and he said our supporters and yours are alike.

How has former red John Arne Riise settled into life in Rome?

Really well, the fans love him. He is a professional and his shot is so powerful. It's not easy to adapt to Italian football, but he tried his hardest and did it.

What are your own personal memories of facing Liverpool in the Champions League and what did you make of the fans and the stadium's atmosphere?

To be honest, my memories are not that good because Liverpool beat us in the 1984 Final and here in Rome many resent them for that. I also remember the game in 2002. The refereeing was quite controversial and Litmanen scored a very, very dubious penalty. Riise played a good game that night.

Riise was also involved on another famous night against Italian opposition - the 2005 Champions League final. What did you make of that game?

I was sad for Milan, but for a fan winning the Cup in that way must be incredible.

Liverpool face a potential Matchday 6 winner-takes-all showdown with Fiorentina in the Champions League (if results go there way on Matchday 5). Who do you expect to qualify?

The Viola are clearly favourites and Liverpool are going to have a really tough time especially after drawing against Lyon.

The Reds' hopes could well rest with the likes of Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, who have both recently been short-listed for the Ballon d'or. What are your views on the two players?

I can only think about an Italian adjective to describe them both: grandissimi!

As a striker yourself, where does Torres rank among the best in the world?

Torres is absolutely one of the best in the world. He is so fast and sees the net like no other – a great striker indeed. I had a look at his Premier League scoring record - not bad at all!

Andrea Dossena is another Italian international on our books. What have you made of his impact in England? Last year he scored famous goals against Real Madrid and Man United,

He is a decent full-back, who can do well both attacking and defending.

And finally, we know you are Roman born and breed but would you have liked to give it a go over here in England?

Staying at Roma was my personal choice, one I took with my heart. I grew up playing for this club, the one I always supported. So thanks, but I am good here.

(1) (Reply)

Girl Friend Blames Boatengs Numerous Injuries On Too Much S*x / Nigeria FA President Doesn't Know How FIFA Rankings Work? / British Woman Defrauds Osaze Odemwingie Of £70,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.