Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

The X In Xmas: What It Means - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The X In Xmas: What It Means (483 Views)

Difference Between Xmas And Christmas / "All I Want For Xmas Is You" - Sharon Oyakilome Gushes About Her Husband / Before You Hate Israel, Note That It Means You Are Fighting Against God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The X In Xmas: What It Means by kengreatleads(m): 8:26pm On Dec 26, 2016
Earlier today while going through my Facebook wall, a friend pointed out something I haven’t really given much thought but interestingly captured my attention. My friend’s FB post got me asking: Why do people sometimes replace the Christ in Christmas with an X?

According to mathematics, you represent a variable with an X. And a variable is an UNKNOWN value that can take any form.

Here’s my opinion, it’s actually two sided, the first: When you use Xmas instead of Christmas, you’re simply implying that you do not know Christ. He’s a variable, so you replace Him with an X.

The second, when you wish someone a merry Xmas instead of Christmas, what you’re simply telling the person: I’m wishing you a Merry Xmas, not necessarily Merry Christmas. So you can take out the X and replace it with whatever you like, even your name for all I care…lol

I took this discussion to two of my siblings: Gideon and Yemi. Yemi pointed out what’s on the mind of millions and probably on your mind right now that Xmas is just an abbreviation for Christmas like Xteristics for characteristics. However, Gideon indicated that people have literally graduated from typing or writing Xmas to saying it! That is, verbally wishing people Merry Xmas.

I do not think I’ve ever heard anyone say xteristics instead of characteristics, but I’ve heard a good number of people say Merry Xmas countless number of times.

Gideon further looked at it from a whole different point of view when he said X can also mean CANCELLATION! So when you say Xmas or Xtian, you’re actually taking Christ which is the core out of the picture.

You can probably say all these is baseless or something, but one of my school of thoughts is: You don’t just take things for their face value, develop a curious mind that searches deep for the truth behind the physical. Who knows, you may find the key to your happiness, peace and freedom…and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Like I said earlier, these are just my opinions and that of my lovely siblings of course. Let us know what you think, share your opinion at the comment section. Merry Christmas in arrears and a prosperous New Year!

Source: http://amebojoint.com/2016/12/26/x-xmas-means/

(1) (Reply)

Ministry Organize Vigil For Those Who Lost Money To MMM / Vanguard Newspaper Send Apologies To Bishop Oyedepo Of Winners' Chapel / Wolf On The Altar - John Wesley Mfr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.