Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,222 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (12429 Views)

Presidency Lists 57 Achievements Of Buhari Administration(complete List) / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria And States / Two Groups In Battle For Buhari’s Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 5ircreepy(m): 9:32am On Dec 28, 2016
And I thought there are only flaties, cone heads and abokis
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by emmalexabl(m): 9:40am On Dec 28, 2016
BolaAdeyemo:
Ikwerres are not ibos

Yeah..same way Aworis aren't Yoruba's....

8 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by seunajia: 10:03am On Dec 28, 2016
Awori and Egun separate from Yoruba? Error.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Newmanluckyman(m): 10:05am On Dec 28, 2016
... Very educative. Great to know that Igbos are found in 13 States. I know that the population of igbos are underestimated in Nigeria. They could numbered between 60million to 70 million.

10 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:09am On Dec 28, 2016
emmalexabl:

Yeah..same way Aworis aren't Yoruba's....
That is for Awori to say . The two scenarios bear no connection.
Ikwerre have said very loudly they are not Ibo and in the 1979 constitution which mentioned ethnic groups by name Ikwerre were clearly identified
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dreamwords: 10:49am On Dec 28, 2016
BolaAdeyemo:
Ikwerres are not ibos
Ikwerres are yorubas
And ijebu and aworis are ibos

10 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by jericco1(m): 10:54am On Dec 28, 2016
mine is not there o
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by freeze001(f): 11:09am On Dec 28, 2016
LoveMachine:
Some won't like what I'm about to write but I gotta do it. For all of you who say you only have Igbo names but aren't Igbo notice that you've been lumped in with us as a whole. We are one. Welcome home. grin

Very true...lol
Is the 'Ikwerre' tribe abi na ethnic group listed?
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 11:30am On Dec 28, 2016
seunajia:

Is not an error.
Those groups has always identify themselves being a separate ethnic groups

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Eastactivist: 11:31am On Dec 28, 2016
Thank God for Igbos, we have the numbers

2 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BeClever: 11:51am On Dec 28, 2016
Horlufemi:

Which is?

True federalism

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AirFireEarthH20: 12:04pm On Dec 28, 2016
I think these so many various ethnic groups with diverse political interest and, most importantly, lack of homogeneity couple with religious differences is the root cause of the constant frictions in the country today.

For this country to move forward faster, it must be restructured to reflect true fiscal federalism
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by seunajia: 12:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Eastactivist:

Is not an error.
Those groups has always identify themselves being a separate ethnic groups

Lol. You want to help us write Yoruba history? The Awujale once claimed the Ijebus are from Wadai, when Obanta himself came from Ile-Ife. lol. Political interest. Don't meddle in what you know nothing about.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by reallest(f): 12:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
Wrong list
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by hoodmenconcept(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
ajbf:
Ijesha !!! So, you are tell me that there is nobody speaking Yoruba in Edo state.

Even Delta.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
251 grin
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Dedetwo(m): 12:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
Afam4eva:
Are these ethnic groups or tribes because i saw Gokana which is a part of Ogoni being listed as an ethnic group.

Most are neither ethnic group nor tribe. Large number of them are villagers. This is a deceitful attempt to remove the congenital pedigree to form a united front that could led to disintegration of the crap called Nigeria. This idiotic multiplicity of ethnic groups in Nigeria was born during Nigeria/Biafra war and had been nourished to dunce since after the war. If Gokana is an ethnic group than Ikeduru is also an ethnic group. You can easily discern the level of their idiocy and moronic acts when they labeled "Egbema" an ethnic group in Rivers State and imbecilely forgot that Egbema also exists in Imo State.

2 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BolaAdeyemo: 12:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
dreamwords:

Ikwerres are yorubas
And ijebu and aworis are ibos
Ikwerres never agree to be called ibos,join the ikwerre page on facebook,Ikwerre otnu,they believe they are different from Ibos
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dreamwords: 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
BolaAdeyemo:
Ikwerres never agree to be called ibos,join the ikwerre page on facebook,Ikwerre otnu,they believe they are different from Ibos
And aworis and ijebus agree to be igbos also join their page u will see it
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by cheruv: 2:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
The igbo ethnicity has around 21-30 tribes within it... These tribes also double as the dialects and the well known tribes of the igbo ethnicity are the ukwangwa, aro, oroata(owerre), ika, ado(onicha), izi, ihuruoha, ada, oru, ubani, isu etc

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nuezha(m): 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
bukifemi1:

The complete list of all 371 ethnic groups in Nigeria. Pictorial credit: Heritage Bank.
Please i can't find Egba, Ijebu on that list or is it my eyes?
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by masseratti: 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2016
seunajia:
aworis are yorubas, eguns are not
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by seunajia: 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2016
masseratti:
aworis are yorubas, eguns are not

Perhaps you're new to nairaland, this issue has been thrashed countless times in the past. The Eguns, although not initially Yoruba, were conquered and became subject to Oyo rule in the Oyo Empire. By assimilation, their descendants became Yoruba citizens. Just like the children of African slaves are now Americans in the US.
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by masseratti: 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
seunajia:

Perhaps you're new to nairaland, this issue has been thrashed countless times in the past. The Eguns, although not initially Yoruba, were conquered and became subject to Oyo rule in the Oyo Empire. By assimilation, their descendants became Yoruba citizens. Just like the children of African slaves are now Americans in the US.
please after the fall of oyo empire the eguns raided egbaland, it was only abomey that was under the subjugation of oyo empire not the other egun parts, oyo was called an empire for a reason just like bini was called an empire and not a kingdom, from what You just said i could as well call the Yorubas in Lagos, the uhrobos, ijaws, itsekiris down to some places in rivers bini or edo people just because they were once in their history under the rule of bini empire, oh wait don't go too far, Ilorin people are fulani then right?

3 Likes

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by UIA04(f): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
masseratti:
please after the fall of oyo empire the eguns raided egbaland, it was only abomey that was under the subjugation of oyo empire not the other egun parts, oyo was called an empire for a reason just like bini was called an empire and not a kingdom, from what You just said i could as well call the Yorubas in Lagos, the uhrobos, ijaws, itsekiris down to some places in rivers bini or edo people just because they were once in their history under the rule of bini empire, oh wait don't go too far, Ilorin people are fulani then right?
Historian how far?
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2016
seunajia:

Take a look at this

http://saharareporters.com/2014/03/04/exclusion-ogu-egun-people-lagos-and-ogun-national-conference-delegates%E2%80%99-list
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by masseratti: 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
UIA04:

Historian how far?
student i dey ooo, how your side?
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by UIA04(f): 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
masseratti:
student i dey ooo, how your side?

I just dey
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by seunajia: 5:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
masseratti:

You fail to get the point. Unfortunately, I don't do well in back and forths anymore. The fact that these people are found in what is today core Yorubaland answers your question. Just FYI, majority of Ilorin people are of mixed ancestory. The Kings, ruling families aren't even Yorubas. Eventhough they choose Yoruba names. Are the Sarakis, Gambaris, etc, truly Yoruba? Note however that there are pure Yorubas in Kwara, the Igbominas...
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by hicare(m): 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2016
Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by mensdept: 7:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
Not a big deal, and like Nigeria, all hype with no bark.

Even in India you'll find even a thousand "ethnic groups".

Often this is used as propaganda to make "Nigeria" look bigger and badder than the crap it is, or to discredit legitimate separation into natural nations.

1 Like

Re: The Complete List Of All 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by basilo102: 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2016
All classification of ethnic groups in Nigerian by reasonable anthropologists have failed to classify Ikwerre as an ethnic group. This group are the most confused set of people i have ever met. God creates ethnic groups, not Federal government. Do they think people have the power to decide their ethnic group by themselves?? Its just like if come out and say "I am not a black man" and expect to be accepted like that without showing convincing evidence on the difference between me and blacks, who will take such a person seriously

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PREMIUM TIMES EDITORIAL: Onnoghen: Time To Halt Nigeria’s Slide To Anarchy / Zulum Directs Urban Board To Unseal NNPP’s Office, Calls It ‘Wrong Timing’ / Court Dismisses PDP’s Suit Seeking Disqualification Of Tinubu, Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.