Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. (2073 Views)

Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! / Mexico V Nigeria: FIFA U-17 World Cup (1 - 6) on 19 Oct 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by selingel: 11:53am On Nov 19, 2009
Sports minister, nine others quizzed over N12b U-17 World Cup funds
THURSDAY, 19 NOVEMBER 2009 00:00 NIGERIAN COMPASS
SPORTS Minister, Sani Ndanusa and top officials of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the organisation of the just-concluded Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) Under-17 World Cup were yesterday grilled by the State Security Service (SSS).

Their drilling was in compliance with a presidentail directive that the tournament be investigated to determine how the N12 billion earmarked for the three-week fiesta were applied.

The Federal Government raised an eye-brow that the several billions of the tax payers’ money released for the World Cup may not have been well utilised and demanded to know how the funds were disbursed.

It was learnt that the minister and nine other officials of the LOC were interrogated for hours yesterday.

The SSS will also invite other members of the committee to say all they know about the disbursement of the monies released to their sub-committees.

Majority of the sub-committee seats had complained during the competition that they were starved of funds and had nothing to work with.

In fact, one of the sub seat chairmen told the Nigerian Compass that he was tired of waiting daily for money to come from Abuja.

He had said: “I don’t know what is happening again. They promised that they are going to give us money to work.

“I have borrowed money to make sure that this centre is not lacking behind, but my prayer is that after the World Cup, they will pay back all the monies that I have borrowed,” fumed the sub seat chairman.

By Emeka Nwani

http://www.compassnews.net/Ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34012:sports-minister-nine-others-quizzed-over-n12b-u-17-world-cup-funds&catid=43:news&Itemid=799
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by selingel: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2009
I wonder why nothing can be done properly in this country. Anyway, I now here corruption is now a way of life in Nigeria, and some people are living it well.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
So why were these guys demanding for $37billion initially?when they could possibly make profits from the approved money
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Oboma1(m): 1:23pm On Nov 19, 2009
~Bluetooth:

So why were these guys demanding for $37billion initially?when they could possibly make profits from the approved money

I guess it was N37billion, and not dollars.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Oboma1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2009
Nigeria 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup Fallout
LOC, states trade blame over missing 71 FIFA, Kia cars
By Christian Okpara

MEMBERS of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the just concluded Nigeria 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup and some of the host states of the competition are at loggerheads over the 71 cars FIFA gave to the body and an undisclosed number of other vehicles KIA Motors made available for the competition, most of which are yet to be accounted for.

The Guardian learnt from a member of the LOC that of the 78 cars FIFA gave the committee, only seven had been returned to the body, while some top officials were still holding on to those allocated to them. Apart from the FIFA cars, the source also disclosed that KIA Motors gave out vehicles to the committee as its contribution to the successful organisation of the competition, "but the cars started disappearing even before the competition got half way."

The source revealed that because Kia Motors is not a FIFA partner, the cars it provided for the competition were not branded for the youth championship, "but they were numbered serially with the LOC plate numbers." Hyundai is the official partner of FIFA hence it reserved the right to brand its products in the body's logo.

The source, who pleaded anonymity, disclosed that vehicles were assigned to the venues for the duration of the competition, adding: "But we started getting reports that some of the vehicles were disappearing from the centres even before midway into the competition. Now, we are trying to retrieve these vehicles but it seems some people are not ready to let go of the cars."

He disclosed that the LOC would put the list of missing cars and those they were assigned to in its final report on the competition, adding, however: "I doubt if anything would come out of it because that was exactly how cars used for the 2003 All Africa Games disappeared immediately after the competition."

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/sports/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=191109&ptitle=LOC,%20states%20trade%20blame%20over%20missing%2071%20FIFA,%20Kia%20cars
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Oboma1(m): 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
Will there ever be any end to corruption in Nigeria?. It has not only eaten deep in our daily lives, but is now found in every aspect of our lives.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2009
This country is jinxed with corruption.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by sjeezy8: 8:08pm On Nov 19, 2009
im gettin fed up
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by chosen04(f): 8:21pm On Nov 19, 2009
sjeezy8:

im gettin fed up

So soon?
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by sjeezy8: 8:23pm On Nov 19, 2009
getting fed up isnt fed up
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Oboma1(m): 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
sjeezy8:

getting fed up isnt fed up

Not only you, the whole society is fed up. Sometimes I wonder if this country can ever be good?
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by chidichris(m): 9:04pm On Nov 19, 2009
for me what is happening is normal.
if we accepted the act of a signle idiot imposing a weak imebcile on us as the president, we must learn to live by the products of this shameless system.
a trip to aso rock ill reveal that the country's head of administration is infected with corruption.
when the head is dirt, the whole body is affected.
most of our ministers are not choosen on merit rather they are choosen as a way of compensation.
achike udenwa former gov of imo state was the first gov to endorse the third term agenda and today his efforts have been rewarded with a ministerial appointment so what do we expect from such decissions?
mediocres are compensated and they must not be blamed for whatsoever actions they take.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Oboma1(m): 11:57pm On Nov 19, 2009
P
chidichris:

for me what is happening is normal.
if we accepted the act of a signle idiot imposing a weak imebcile on us as the president, we must learn to live by the products of this shameless system.
a trip to aso rock ill reveal that the country's head of administration is infected with corruption.
when the head is dirt, the whole body is affected.
most of our ministers are not choosen on merit rather they are choosen as a way of compensation.
achike udenwa former gov of imo state was the first gov to endorse the third term agenda and today his efforts have been rewarded with a ministerial appointment so what do we expect from such decissions?
mediocres are compensated and they must not be blamed for whatsoever actions they take.

We are just fed up. Instead of people repenting, more are joining them. We are tired!.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by yemmight(m): 8:19am On Nov 20, 2009
Oboma1:

Not only you, the whole society is fed up. Sometimes I wonder if this country can ever be good?

Good? Not in our dictionary. angry
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Enjoyment1(f): 5:10pm On Nov 20, 2009
Please correct me if I am wrong. I learnt that even cars that FIFA gave to Nigeria are missing?
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by yemmight(m): 5:30pm On Nov 20, 2009
Enjoyment1:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I learnt that even cars that FIFA gave to Nigeria are missing?

I learnt over 70 cars are missing. For Nigeria. Its business as usual.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Otobroto(f): 11:32am On Nov 21, 2009
Corruption is now a way of life.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by centrica: 12:42pm On Nov 21, 2009
You are correct all the 71 FIFA KIA car disapear into thin air, EFCC should wade in immediately.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by clemiss(m): 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2009
any little oppurtunity nigerians have they use it as if is not gonna come agian i think the sport minister should step down is too currupt.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Blueray: 2:55pm On Nov 21, 2009
Lets have faith in the system. The so called minister is still a suspect and undergoing investigation by the SSS. It has not been proven that they misappropriated the fund for the competition. It is only after that, and the President wade in to clear him and others accused that you could pass invectives on Mr President. The fight against corruption is not only by pointing fingers and sitting down to do nothing. The presence of these so called THIEVES in our big events today still determine the success of such events, How can we blacklist them from showing off with thier illgotten wealth. If our artists refused to perform in occassions they attend, we refused to honour IV to thier children wedding, corruption will naturally find a new haven. We MUST act. sad
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by gentlegg(m): 3:23pm On Nov 21, 2009
From the bottom of my heart, I doubt if there is still any hope for this Nigeria.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Sagamite(m): 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2009
As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I have disdain for this government.

I have to say well done Yaradua government.

I recognise the tactical ploy employed in first lowering the budget from 37bn to 12bn and then having the patience of letting the tournament conclude before now seeking to deal with the corrupt individuals.

Final judgement will be placed after the investigations, charges and convictions.

Let morons that lack achievements in their individual lives, bottom of the barrels in their behaviours, cannot organise a queue (or even obey one) continuing ranting about anything and everything done by Nigerian authorities without ever proffering pragmatic solutions to a difficult problem.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by kajadman: 5:11pm On Nov 21, 2009
just take a look at what Nigeria is painting herself into to the world at large bunch of theives from the president to the pedestrian and form the speaker to the sweeper even you posting replys. we need CHANGE.(am not exempted)
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by gamesb: 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2009
corruption " corruption " corruption" how many time did i called u ? 3 times sir" when will u leave naija?
i will not leave her now infact im dipping into her root the more right now i place on HER 130th position in the world because
both her pple in govt, market places , transport, fuel, unemployed & employed , sports , movie, music ,employee, financial,media , politics are with me. INFACT THEY ARE ALL CORRUPT.
MAY GOD HELP HER.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by jacob05(m): 1:10am On Nov 22, 2009
Born and die in corruption naija style.cheesy
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by jacob05(m): 1:11am On Nov 22, 2009
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by jacob05(m): 1:11am On Nov 22, 2009
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by dfanthom(m): 10:26am On Nov 22, 2009
i hope the investigation come to a logical conclusion & indicted culpits prosecuted.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR CORRUPTION IN NAIJA!!!

embarassed
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by omar22(m): 11:18am On Nov 22, 2009
i HEARD that the ref havent blown the final whistle when the ambulances, official cars, mini buses were shared among each other,
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by kshow1(m): 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2009
omar22:

i HEARD that the ref havent blown the final whistle when the ambulances, official cars, mini buses were shared among each other,

Wao, Nigeria We Hail Thee
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by Okwyjesus(m): 9:36pm On Nov 22, 2009
They must vomit those cars by fire. Even if they gave it out to their girlfriends, What is even wrong with Nigerians, l pray Yar' Adua dig deep into the issue.
Re: Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. by TayoD1(m): 10:21pm On Nov 22, 2009
@topic,

“I have borrowed money to make sure that this centre is not lacking behind, but my prayer is that after the World Cup, they will pay back all the monies that I have borrowed,” fumed the sub seat chairman.
Am I the only one that thinks its funny for the sub seat chariman to borrow money to host the World Cup? What is the cost of the money borrowed? Where did he get the money? What collateral did he use. I smell a rat!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best Goal Keeper Of The 2014 World Cup ? / Exclusive Photos Of Victor Osimhen, The World FIFA U17 Highest Goal Scorer Ever / Single Stakes Betting Tips Daily Winning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.