Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,966 members, 7,825,023 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt (1479 Views)

House Hunt / House Hunt / Gov. Ambode At Signing Of Bond Deal With Issuing Houses At Lagos House, Ikeja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by PortableAngel: 5:42pm On Dec 29, 2016
Lagos state has become a state with mixed tribes, although it is originally and mostly dominated by the Yorubas. Today, there are many other tribes within the state such as the Ibos, Hausas, Eguns, and at least a representation of every other tribe in Nigeria.

Considering the dominance of the Yorubas and the quest to reclaim ownership of the state, there has been issues of discrimination even in the area of housing. Most Yoruba landlords have a bias for accommodating Yoruba tenants as against other tribes. As a matter of fact, there’s more discrimination between Yoruba landlords and the Ibo tribe.

In my view, this is so inappropriate! I believe it is a beautiful thing to have one state out of the 36 states in the country that can help pull all tribes together, which is what Lagos state is achieving. But with this kind of discrimination, how can this be achieved?
Nigerians, both within and outside Lagos, should be willing to accommodate her fellow man, whether of similar tribes or not. As if the discrimination against blacks abroad is not enough we still create internal discrimination amongst black tribes. How sad!

It is sad that in this day and age, a Nigerian would so clearly discriminate against and, thus, disregard his own people. However, it is not shocking because there are Nigerians who show a clear disdain for their fellow citizens. The fact that this practice of not renting to Nigerians is not illegal and not prevented by Lagos State and Federal Government authorities suggests that this practice is somewhat acceptable by authorities.

So, if you’re in the category of discriminating landlords, kindly turn a new leaf! And, if you’re a victim of the house hunt discrimination, share with us your experience below while you keep in mind that ToLet.com.ng helps you connect with the right apartment and the right landlord.

Source: https://www.tolet.com.ng/blog/tribal-discriminations-in-lagos-house-hunt/?utm_source=naraland&utm_campaign=nairaland28_12_2016&utm_medium=blog
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by ogologoamu: 5:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by true2home(m): 6:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
Sorry, i was reasoning like you until i experience Igbo tenant. when everybody advised me to not let our family house to ibo, i called them all kinds of names. Today, the only ibo in my building has refused to move or pay for 19 months now. my father waited on this fool for a year to move so we can convert the house for my Old Man in retirement. the fool is still proving strong head as i speak.

Come Jan. 3, the house is going down and my lawyers are also ready to face the so call Gov. on this matter. I will still rent to anybody that comes my way, but the Ibo thing is getting to be a normal occurrence. As an educated person, one should not be blame for reaching a conclusion based on consistant data result that points to the likelihood of defaulter because of sentiment

4 Likes

Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by nepapole(m): 6:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
true2home:
Sorry, i was reasoning like you until i experience Igbo tenant. when everybody advised me to not let our family house to ibo, i called them all kinds of names. Today, the only ibo in my building has refused to move or pay for 19 months now. my father waited on this fool for a year to move so we can convert the house for my Old Man in retirement. the fool is still proving strong head as i speak.

Come Jan. 3, the house is going down and my lawyers are also ready to face the so call Gov. on this matter. I will still rent to anybody that comes my way, but the Ibo thing is getting to be a normal occurrence. As an educated person, one should not be blame for reaching a conclusion based on consistant data result that points to the likelihood of defaulter because of sentiment
Bro...humans will always be humans irrespective of tribe, religion. A bad person remains a bad person weda Ibo or any other tribe. I have 4 tenants and just one family of the 4 is Ibo. They are very very good pipl if not the calmest of our tenants.
NOTE: Omo yoruba ni mi.
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by true2home(m): 7:10pm On Dec 29, 2016
i agree with you sir. i just hate the fact that this particular man is showing himself as irresponsible. Had it been that our judiciary is working, there wouldn't be room for people to act like animal in our society.

nepapole:

Bro...humans will always be humans irrespective of tribe, religion. A bad person remains a bad person weda Ibo or any other tribe. I have 4 tenants and just one family of the 4 is Ibo. They are very very good pipl if not the calmest of our tenants.
NOTE: Omo yoruba ni mi.
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by nepapole(m): 7:18pm On Dec 29, 2016
true2home:
i agree with you sir. i just hate the fact that this particular man is showing himself as irresponsible. Had it been that our judiciary is working, there wouldn't be room for people to act like animal in our society.

Eeya...i feel ur pain sir. I wish u well on this. I pray d guy gets his senses back asap.
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by seunfly: 3:21pm On Apr 05, 2020
true2home:

How did u deal with the tenant that refused to vacate ur house?
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by true2home(m): 1:20am On Apr 11, 2020
If you do the lay down steps to evict a tenant, they will be gone in 3months max. In Nigeria, most of us do not follow the law from start, but all of a sudden, we want the law to protect us. If you give 3months notice before the tenants lease runs out, all you then do is go straight to court and show them that the tenant;s contract is over. The worst the court will do then is to add up to 3month for the tenant to vacate. Try that and see what happens. The key here is the 3months advance notice for a 12month lease BEFORE there money runs out. That way you don't loose too much due to court allowance

NOTE...for this particular case of my, I started moving in construction materials and knocking some Other structures down in the compound in preparation for renovation. He took off 5days later. I guess he realized that I wasn't afraid to go through court after I would have done my worst of making the flat unlivable for him

[

quote author=seunfly post=88123361]

How did u deal with the tenant that refused to vacate ur house?[/quote]
Re: Tribal Discrimination In Lagos House Hunt by Homeyfav: 1:03pm On Jan 24, 2022
][

(1) (Reply)

Buy a plot in Arium Estate, Abijo GRA, Ajah Lekki and Get iPhone 8 / Do You Need Land With C Of O In A Developed Location? / Get Real Value For Your Money. 50% Off On Queen's Court Estate With C Of O,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.