Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,056 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC (42970 Views)

"I Have Been Eating Plastic Rice For 2 Months; Be Careful" - Lady Cries Out / See The Plastic Rice Sold To Me In Lagos(pictures) / Tips On How To Identify Plastic Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by LoveJesus87(m): 10:07am On Dec 30, 2016
bellenornor:
Nigerians, we can eat rice eh
lol. See who is talking. See dem. If I ask you now as a lady what is your best food, its either you write indomie or rice grin abeg who get dat 'u think u are doing me picture...' Make e help me put am for here grin grin
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by nickxtra(m): 10:11am On Dec 30, 2016
Coming up with this rubbish after a lot of people have cooked same for Christmas?
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by badttrader(m): 10:12am On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:
"Micro - organisms above permissible limit "

Madam Nafdac, please what's the national limit for micro - organisms in our food items?

And please, are there nationally recognized micro - organisms approved for human consumption by Nafdac?

If yes, please give us a list of them and also indicate their "permissible limit" smiley

Thanks a lot Ma for your anticipated cooperation smiley

hahahahaha....

you obviously have never been a science student. Not all microorganisms are harmful. some are even very useful. for example, yeast.
Virtually everything we consume contain microorganisms, just that they are in permissible quantities.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by nwabobo: 10:17am On Dec 30, 2016
9jakohai:

Forget government propaganda abeg!

Speaking as someone who knows people whose lives were affected badly by fake imported drugs, I doubt that NAFDAC or someone in government would deliberately taint rice to stop Nigerians from eating imported rice.

Also, keep in mind that not every importer of rice are good people....some of them are bad people who won't mind importing substadard products so that they can make quick money....it does not matter to them if people die. Thank God NAFDAC is at least trying to stop them.

And keep in mind also that there are good importers whose imported products pass NAFDAC tests too.

If you like....eat tainted rice. Na you wey go suffer. As for me....high time we stopped being a dumping ground for all sorts of tainted products. It is in our interest.

So what tainted the rice? Care to let us know?

The tweets below were from the Minister of Health before NAFDAC were apparently coarse into rowing the path of propaganda set out by govt to save forex by discouraging consumption of foreign rice.

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by Cool83(m): 10:18am On Dec 30, 2016
Nigeria shouldn't be a dumping ground
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by buygala(m): 10:23am On Dec 30, 2016
eddyline:

generally, coliforms and not just the two i mentioned are supposed to be absent in oral preparations and foods. not that they are nafdac approved but rather their presence suggests feacal contamination. I cannot start listing the limits for each microorganisms right now. perhaps you could Google that out. am sure you know that microorganisms are ubiquitous and as such it is inevitable to have them present in foodstuffs, water, etc. that is why limits are being set in CFU/g or CFU/ ml as the case may be. thanks.

Thanks a lot Sir. ...but disclosing the microorganisms limited by Nafdac and their manner of limitation isn't a bad idea Sir instead of telling us how "ubiquitous" they are....
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by Xtowilson(m): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2016
kristian98:
Pls serve buhari a bowl of expired plastic rice. We need him dead and its an emergency
infact he should die at 31st of December sharp sharp
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by buygala(m): 10:28am On Dec 30, 2016
Genea:
yes darl, there are permissible limits for m/orgs that are beneficial to humans.. But wah I wud have preferred she said was dah the sanitary quality of the rice is low, rather Dan say permissible limit cos this could be misinterpreted.... wink

Thanks a lot... You just cleared my misunderstanding of the issue smiley

Like you said. .. a simple "the sanitary quality of the rice is low" would have been sufficient instead of all that grammer about microorganisms and limits smiley
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by sapele914(m): 10:35am On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:

Madam Nafdac, please what's the national limit for micro - organisms in our food items?

And please, are there nationally recognized micro - organisms approved for human consumption by Nafdac?

If yes, please give us a list of them and also indicate their "permissible limit" smiley

It was all a hoax,nothing do the rice. Nafdac cannot explain.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by Originalsly: 10:44am On Dec 30, 2016
darkid1:
It alo took me days imagining someone out there was manufacturing rice from plastic...thank you NAFDAC.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by MeAboki(m): 11:03am On Dec 30, 2016
I listened to their statement on Channels TV yesterday and came to the conclusion that their declaration on the suitability of the rice based on a rudimentary laboratory report: floatation, sedimentation, 1 or 2 heavy metals (can't remember which) and micro-organism level was rather premature; because much more extensive tests would have been required to arrive at such conclusion.

It seemed they must have determined that the rice was not plastic based only on the floatation and sedimentation tests alone i.e. whether it sank or floated in water and therefore IMO insufficient.
Even if they were lacking proper equipment, i want to believe that there were still more that they could have done, including expected basic physical test characteristic that should exclude the rice from plastic e.g. fragility (rice should be more fragile/brittle than plastic), absorption (rice should readily absorb more water than plastic), ductility (plastic should be more ductile and malleable than rice), flammability (plastic should readily burn in a naked flame than rice).

As for the microbial tests; yes there are tolerant limits for particular levels of certain micro organisms permissible for specific foods e.g. e. coli, streptococci etc that may indicate fecal contaminants from contact with soil or water etc.
However, most micro organisms are heat labile and therefore would not survive the temperature attained in sustained cooking.

My take on this therefore is that rice may not necessarily be unfit for human consumption but could still be safe to eat (based on these mere findings) if properly cooked, because most of the organisms could easily be killed off by simple boiling during cooking of the rice.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by MedicalSamwise(m): 11:10am On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:

Bro microorganisms are beneficial to the human race.... some are harmful some are not... Don't jes talk out of ignorance.... without microorganisms, there's no life.. .. why do u think your food get spoilt after 24hrs,its because of microorganisms. That's one of the bad sides of microorganisms.

One of the good side is that it aids digestion in your stomach
Cheese, youghurt etc are made with the action of microorganisms

Don't be ignorant man.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by buygala(m): 11:17am On Dec 30, 2016
MedicalSamwise:

Bro microorganisms are beneficial to the human race.... some are harmful some are not... Don't jes talk out of ignorance.... without microorganisms, there's no life.. .. why do u think your food get spoilt after 24hrs,its because of microorganisms. That's one of the bad sides of microorganisms.

One of the good side is that it aids digestion in your stomach

Don't be ignorant man.

Mr wiseman... So Nafdac also has a limit for beneficial microorganisms in food items, since they didn't specify what micros they were limiting sad

Going by the story, anybody with half a brain will decipher they were talking about the harmful micros. ..and it was on the basis of that I asked my questions sad

So please sit down and try not to meddle in stuff you do not fully comprehend smiley
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by luminouz(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2016
masonkz:
Not good enough.

Agencies in Nigeria lack proper research and Investigation skills thoug.

You did findings. What were the basis of your research? We the masses deserve to know.

What is "Nafdac Integrity test" made up of? What are the stages??

"Based on the laboratory results". What were these laboratory results? We deserve to know, especially in order for prospective farmers to be aware of the exact micro organisms to stay away from.

Research is for learning. Don't just bring us some half baked "findings". There are still educated people out there.

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by highwaist: 11:40am On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:

you question ❓ is may not answer here.you know the right way to direct your questions to
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by ChukwuemekaVal(m): 11:53am On Dec 30, 2016
Must we eat foreign rice or any rice at all....?
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by Genea(f): 12:21pm On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:

Thanks a lot... You just cleared my misunderstanding of the issue smiley

Like you said. .. a simple "the sanitary quality of the rice is low" would have been sufficient instead of all that grammer about microorganisms and limits smiley
u wc dear wink
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by MedicalSamwise(m): 12:36pm On Dec 30, 2016
buygala:

Mr wiseman... So Nafdac also has a limit for beneficial microorganisms in food items, since they didn't specify what micros they were limiting sad

Going by the story, anybody with half a brain will decipher they were talking about the harmful micros. ..and it was on the basis of that I asked my questions sad

So please sit down and try not to meddle in stuff you do not fully comprehend smiley

Lol.. . .. Issokay baba grin
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by plaetton: 12:43pm On Dec 30, 2016
Bunch of clowns.
Just like I said when this Fake news made the rounds,
BULLSHIT !!

Now that scientific tests( the only test that matters) has confirmed that it is indeed natural Rice, any other utterances to discredit the Rice is just the silly customs officials trying to save face for their knee-jerk , idiotic pronouncement on the matter prior to any scientific tests.

Rice is rice.

What the official' s definition of "Wholesome " ?
As long as the rice doesn't contain harmful chemical preservatives, it is fit for consumption.

Unless the correct duties were not paid for this shipment of Rice, the customs ought to release this shipment as soon as possible, in the interest of fairness , equity and justice.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by eddyline(m): 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2016
there is a certain number of microorganisms that can be said to be within tolerable limits. I don't have these numbers in my head. if the microbial load in the said product exceeds this limit, the product becomes unacceptable. however, for certain microbes known as coliforms, the presence of even 1 renders it unacceptable. this is because for them to be present, then there is feacal contamination of some sorts. if you really want to know the number of limit for each microorganism, you'd have to consult official books or Google them.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by shotuns: 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2016
bellenornor:
Nigerians, we can eat rice eh

Not as much as the Chinese! Those chinkos can eat rice. I fear them. I remembered a time the biggest shopping mall in my district was out of rice. grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by akeensbussy(m): 5:33pm On Dec 30, 2016
Liars EVERYWHERE.....

Check my Signature
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by Cityguy: 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2016
Uhh! So it's not plastic afterall.
Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by davidif: 9:11pm On Dec 30, 2016
9jakohai:

There is nothing wrong with opposing the policies of the current administration. It is good and just to do that. We need a viable opposition in Nigeria so that we can be on the right path.....especially as one can be wrong some of the time.

However, to wish death on one's political opponents is the height of despicable behavior. It is not sane and principled opposition, and it reveals the person as being nothing more than an evil and vindictive fellow.And the excuse that opponents of your preferred political champion do the same is not tenable, as it merely reveals you as being just another vindictive person.

As Nigerians, it is high time we learned to engage in politics without bitterness and vindictiveness. By all means criticize Buhari. I do the same, and I am not a fan of his government. Neither was i a fan of most previous governments of Nigeria. I wish they could have done better. But, at the same time I was ready to appreciate the good things they did....and that means, for example, appreciating GEJ for railways investment, or IBB for DFFRI and NDE, and NDLEA, and Abacha for cleaning up the banking system, to give a few examples.

But do not call for his death. In so doing you are giving in to the same evil and vindictive force that has caused so much tears and bitterness in our country since independence. You do not have to let bitterness and anger invade your mental and spiritual space. Because at the end of the day, it will do you more harm than the target of your attentions.

Good morning.

Re: 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC by juman(m): 11:41pm On Dec 30, 2016
The government suppose to prosecute those importers of improper rice to discourage others.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free School Meal By Countries Including Nigeria / Kulikuli – Check out mindbowing facts about the popular snack found in West Afri / Noraliciouscakes: Cake Made For IG Of Police (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.