Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,714 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Buhari Reveals Why He Was Removed From Power In 1985 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Reveals Why He Was Removed From Power In 1985 (404 Views)

President Buhari Reveals His Focus In 2018 / Buhari's Deputies In 1985 Vs In 2017 - By Stanley Nwabia / President Buhari States Reason Why He Was Removed From Office In 1985 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Reveals Why He Was Removed From Power In 1985 by Kemperor: 3:01pm On Dec 31, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari has said his refusal to adhere to an advice from the IMF, World Bank to devalue the Naira and increase prices of fuel and flour, led to the coup against him as military the Head of State in 1985.

Buhari speaking on Friday night, December 30, when he was hosted in Abuja by the Army at the Guards Brigade Regimental Dinner and presented with the captured Boko Haram flag said:presented with the captured Boko Haram flag said: "I refused and gave my reasons and the next thing I knew I was removed and detained for three and half years.

“As a civilian president I will do my best and I’m telling you all these because you are part of the leadership of this great country and God willing we will remain great.”

The president also stated he was conversant with the problems of the military having spent over 25 years in service.

He challenged the Nigerian army to ensure the unity of the country despite what he described as “political madness in the North East, the Niger Delta or in the East” of the country.

The president and the Army commanders however kept silent on Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau’s denial of his defeat in a new video.

Buhari became in charge of Nigeria on December 31, 1983, after he and his loyalists overthrew the government of Shehu Shagari.

However, on August 27, 1985, Buhari’s rule was ended by the Chief of Army Staff, IBB, who was a part of Buhari’s team and one of the key actors in 1983 coup.

The president had earlier said he knew Babangida was planning the coup against him. It may sound incredible, but they discussed it together with him at Buhari’s office.

(1) (Reply)

Http://www.poligist.com/nnpc-names-39-crude-oil-off-takers-for-20172018/ / Edo To Introduce POS For Revenue Collection / State Govs Fuelling Niger Delta Crisis —OMPALAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.