Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,163 members, 7,825,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Andy Murray Becomes Britain's Youngest Modern Knight - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Andy Murray Becomes Britain's Youngest Modern Knight (582 Views)

"My Hip Was Killing Me" - Andy Murray Reveals Cruel Moment He Knew It Was Over! / Andy Murray Confirms Retirement Plans In Tears (Photos) / Andy Murray Finally Beats Djokovic To Claim World No 1 Spot In Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Andy Murray Becomes Britain's Youngest Modern Knight by P0intBlank(m): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
He has spent the whole year re-writing sporting history, and Andy Murray can now add another entry in his personal record book after becoming Britain’s youngest knight of modern times.

Only weeks ago the world No.1 tennis player had said he considered himself too young to be knighted, but at the age of just 29 he is now Sir Andy Murray.

Already an OBE, he was an obvious choice for a knighthood after a year in which he cemented his status as an all-time sporting great.

But sources close to the Scot said he was unlikely to use his title on the tennis circuit, and yesterday he made no mention of it after unexpectedly losing an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi.

Last month he was asked about the possibility of a knighthood after he became the first Briton to achieve the world No.1 ranking. He said at the time: “I don't know, I feel too young for something like that. I am still young and there are still a lot of things that can go wrong, I could still mess up and make mistakes.”

Sources close to Murray said he did not know at the time that he was about to be knighted, and was giving his “honest opinion”.

But when he received notification of the knighthood he did not hesitate to accept, as it is “a great honour that he was never going to turn down”. He is the first tennis player to be knighted.

It caps a year in which he became a father, won a second Wimbledon title and a second Olympic gold medal, picked up a third BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award and was named by Telegraph readers as Britain’s greatest ever sportsperson.

Read More @ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/30/sir-andy-murray-plus-got-new-year-honours/

All hail Sir Andy Murray!!!

(1) (Reply)

Real Madrid Slumps To Another Defeat Against Celta Vigo / Henry: Arsenal Don't Need Payet, They Have ... / Chelsea Star Plans Summer Exit If Demand Not Met

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.