Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,955 members, 7,814,241 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves (738 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Rape Starving Women –amnesty International / Nigerian Soldiers Injured After Stepping On Explosive During Operation. Photos / 11 Nigerian Soldiers Killed By Gunmen Buried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 2:26pm On Jan 01, 2017
Before you judge my write-up, kindly read and understand the premise upon which it is pertinent that I write this.
When we were growing up, one idiomatic expression, that eventually became proverbial, was the saying that "a stitch in time saves nine". In the case of the Boko Haram menace, a stitch aptly made, would have saved thousands.
To set the record straight, I am not here to castigate any govt, but we the people, the citizens.
I have watched, sitting on the fence, as two different sides of this country struggled hard to apportion blames with a thick air of vindictiveness and believe me, I sometimes take side (we are all guilty).
If today Boko Haram strike and demean the valour of our soldiers, a side shout in approval, just because they want to prove that the govt of the day, past or present, is incapable. And when the table turns and the soldier deal the agents of death a deadly blow, the other side of the divide also shout the shout of victory, praising the fire-power of our military.
The bitter question is, who are the soldiers, and whose citizens are the Boko haram? Is it not the same people of the same nation killing themselves and jubilating over it.
If you have read my story up to this point, you might have gotten me wrong, thinking I am soliciting that the soldiers dont kill the terrorist. Or that I am in support of terrorism or the killing within our boundaries. Fact check, none of these assumption suffices.
This is where I am heading to:
1. How did we get here?
2. Before BH became a menace, was there a clue that something sinister was building up?
3. If There was a clue, were there opportunity to have nipped it in the bud through other means other than with guns and bullets?
4. Was there a govt effort? And lastly
5. What was the people's reaction to the effort of govt.
I remember clearly how a woman who claimed to be BH's Benefactor and mother narrated how it all began. And I also remember how the then govt goofed by killing these guys all the way from plateau to gombe, down into the heart of Maiduguri, where the police finally unleashed the dragon of terrorism by extra judicially murdering The then leader of the sect after he was handed over by the army in one piece. Suddenly, the heartless group lost its innocence, and the rest is now history.
As if all of these are not bad enough, I remember the worst circumstance in the BH narratives. A point where northern elites and some holier-than-the-rest cleric gave the sect the boost it needed to ensure tears and mournings in people lives and homes. Instead of them to call a spade by its name, they called it fork. They denied the presence and threat of Boko haram. They said it was an agenda to depopulate the north. They created several excuses for the Boko haram palaver; some said they are youths agitating for good governance. Others said they were used and dumb by politicians. Some go to the extent of saying Jonathan created and late Azazi created Boko haram. In a nutshell, we hid behind a finger and deceived ourselves instead of call a problem by its name so that a suitable solution can be found for it.
Now, we jubilate that the army has succeeded to anhilate the Boko, who by count of the dead will be close to 30,000 of them killed by the military, plus the over 10,000 civilians and paramilitry the terror-sect killed, not to mention (believe it or not), over 2000 military men killed by the BH.
If we were a people, truthful, compassionate and patriotic, our timely stitch would have saved over 40,000 souls. And instead of us to celebrate when two different sides of the same country kill themselves and waste precious souls because of our parochial, ethnical and religious bigotry, we wouldn't have experienced such wanton destruction and stampeded growth.
I hope we are not beginning to see the same trend in the Niger-Delta Saga and the Biafra Agitation. Military should not kill peaceful protesters, so long they are just protesting. Niger-Deltan that had laid all the eggs since 1963 should be called to the round table.
Sometimes we prefer war to peace, not because we benefit from it, but because we are not wise. "a wise nation protect its own".
When next you want to support Boko Haram or the Military, remember it is the same Nigerians, killing themselves and always have it in mind that truth exalt a nation.
I am Temidayo Kingheart
#Temidayokingheart
#Tomorrowstartstoday
#itsinourhands
#Letsleadtheway
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by Elkay3: 2:38pm On Jan 01, 2017
OK Mr wise, next time we would "protect its own".
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by AntiWailer: 2:46pm On Jan 01, 2017
I have always said it

Wailers can not be defeated

IT is a win win situation no matter what happens.

If Buhari succeed it is because of Jonathan, if he fails, it is becos he is a dullard. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by Cekpo34(m): 9:20pm On Jan 01, 2017
Seriously, I cannot fathom the central idea and significance of this trite

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2017
Elkay3:
OK Mr wise, next time we would "protect its own".
When Commonsense becomes Sarcasm to you, I think you need a self-check.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 11:38am On Jan 03, 2017
AntiWailer:
I have always said it

Wailers can not be defeated

IT is a win win situation no matter what happens.

If Buhari succeed it is because of Jonathan, if he fails, it is becos he is a dullard. cheesy
The Wailer/Zombie divide show how badly our sense of nationalism and coexistence had degenerated. We no longer see issues from the angle of general good and benefit to humanity but from how well it buffers our ego and petty narratives.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 11:39am On Jan 03, 2017
Cekpo34:
Seriously, I cannot fathom the central idea and significance of this trite
Read it again...........this time around, with an open mind.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by azimibraun: 11:47am On Jan 03, 2017
I get it clearly what you are saying as it were..
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by azimibraun: 11:49am On Jan 03, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

Read it again...........this time around, with an open mind.
Open mind ke? 2 out of 20,000 Nigerians have open minds. The rest, hateful/sentimental minds. Country of cursed people.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 11:53am On Jan 03, 2017
azimibraun:
Open mind ke? 2 out of 20,000 Nigerians have open minds. The rest, hateful/sentimental minds. Country of cursed people.
God Have Mercy on us. We have no other country of origin.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by Elkay3: 2:26pm On Jan 03, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

When Commonsense becomes Sarcasm to you, I think you need a self-check.

Exactly!!! Please proceed with the procedures... till then, thank you.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by Elkay3: 2:29pm On Jan 03, 2017
Anyone can edit and re-edit,but as long as it doesn't make sense, it remains just as stale or worse.
Re: Boko Haram And Nigerian Soldiers: Same Countrymen, Killing Themselves by PatriotTemidayo: 7:38am On Jan 07, 2017
Elkay3:
Anyone can edit and re-edit,but as long as it doesn't make sense, it remains just as stale or worse.
Evidence of what we have been hammering on.

(1) (Reply)

Ferderal Govt Aims To Attack Church Leaders With FRC Laws - Fayose / Nnamdi Kanu And Nigerian Anthem / Governor Okowa Weeps As Eldest Brother Dies Of Chronic Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.