Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,499 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

The Headless Chicken - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Headless Chicken (858 Views)

Somadina Nwabuwa Gets Yam Tuber, Live Chicken As COOU Best Graduating Student / FUNAAB ALPHA Chicken Breed Developed By University Of Agriculture Abeokuta / Cobra Killed In A Student's Kitchen In Kogi While Trying To Eat Chicken (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2017
Yeah, you read right, as untrue it may sound, it's actually true. On 10 September 1945, a poultry farmer, Lloyd Olsen and his wife Clara were killing chickens, on their farm in Fruita, Colorado. Olsen would decapitate the chickens, his wife would clean them up. But one of the about 50 chickens that went under Olsen's hatchet that day didn't behave like the rest.

When they were through with the decapitation and were planning for further preparation of the decapitated chickens, they got down to the end of the farm only to see that one was still alive, up and running. The chicken kicked and ran, and didn't stop.

It was placed in an old apple box on the farm's screened porch for the night, and when Lloyd Olsen woke the following morning, he stepped outside to see what had happened.  The chicken was still alive,hale and hearty headlessly. The chicken was later named Mike and went on a tour across the country with his owner.

After the tour, the Olsens took Mike the Headless Chicken to Phoenix, Arizona, where disaster struck in the spring of 1947 where Mike finally died.

The only explanations science have been able to give are;

1. What happens when a chicken's head is chopped off?
Beheading disconnects the brain from the rest of the body, but for a short period the spinal cord circuits still have residual oxygen.
2. Without input from the brain these circuits start spontaneously. "The neurons become active, the legs start moving," says Dr Tom Smulders of Newcastle University.
3. Usually the chicken is lying down when this happens, but in rare cases, neurons will fire a motor programme of running.
4. "The chicken will indeed run for a little while," says Smulders. "But not for 18 months, more like 15 minutes or so."

You will be wondering how possible could Mike lived for 18 months where  the head, brain and other parts of the body that constitute the CNS were either severed or missing but this is how the farmers kept the chicken alive. Mike was fed with liquid food and water that the Olsens dropped directly into his oesophagus. Another vital bodily function they helped with was clearing mucus from his throat. They fed him with a dropper, and cleared his throat with a syringe.
Many chickens lost their heads as a result of many people trying to match  the feat but what many didn't realize is that there would have been serious clotting that prevented Mike from bleeding to death.
This is another research question, can clotting be induced  Biologist and medical experts, what's your view

More so, a chicken expert, Dr Tom Smulders at the centre for behavior and evolution at university of Newcastle says that the fact that he was able to survive is incredible but says for a human to lose his or her head would involve an almost total loss of the brain but it's rather different for a chicken.
"You'd be amazed how little brain there is in the front of the head of a chicken, It is mostly concentrated at the back of the skull behind the eyes explain Smulders.

Reports indicate that Mike's beak, face, eyes and an ear were removed with the hatchet blow. But Smulders estimates that up to 80% of his brain by mass - and almost everything that controls the chicken's body, including heart rate, breathing, hunger and digestion - remained untouched.

It was suggested at the time that Mike survived the blow because part or all of the brain stem remained attached to his body. Since then science has evolved, and what was then called the brain stem has been found to be part of the brain proper.

"Most of the bird brain as we know it now would actually be considered the brain stem back then," Smulders says.
"The names that had been given to parts of the bird brain in the late 1800s were all indicating equivalences with the mammalian brain that were in fact wrong."
Even though scientists have theoretically given explanations on this absurd incident, nobody has been able to practically replicate the feat.
Scientists, what do you have to say

But before you go, let's go on a mental tour, mention any animal you know that can live without its head.

Happy New Year to all our fans.

http://bud-ol..is/2016/12/the-fable-like-story-of-chicken-that.html

Re: The Headless Chicken by UDbester(m): 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2017
this op na mumu ooo, idolness abi na idleness has bleeped this op up big time
Re: The Headless Chicken by HQuadreal: 8:48pm On Jan 01, 2017
Wow.
Re: The Headless Chicken by spartan117(m): 8:53pm On Jan 01, 2017
Beautiful
Re: The Headless Chicken by UDbester(m): 9:03pm On Jan 01, 2017
spartan117:
Beautiful

what is beautiful in this kwa, abi u dnt see the red crown of the chicken ni wey turn dey look for wetin e go eat? na waooooo
Re: The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2017
UDbester:
this op na mumu ooo, idolness abi na idleness has bleeped this op up big time

People like you necessitate the importance of civility101 as a course in our institutions. You called me mumu but you failed to identify just a single reason why I am in your post. if I may ask what class are you?
Re: The Headless Chicken by Idydarling(f): 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2017
master piece op, the ftc guy is real mumu. ☺

1 Like

Re: The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 9:08pm On Jan 01, 2017
UDbester:

what is beautiful in this kwa, abi u dnt see the red crown of the chicken ni wey turn dey look for wetin e go eat? na waooooo

I bet you didn't read the post before commenting, now go back and read between the lines and if you still can't find the answer, this is a pictorial answer. Besides, learn to read, digest, think before making comments. cheers!!!

1 Share

Re: The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 9:12pm On Jan 01, 2017
Idydarling:
master piece op, the ftc guy is real mumu. ☺

Thanks, we can't do away from people like that in our society, most especially on a faceless platform like this but we must do our best in correcting them.

1 Like

Re: The Headless Chicken by UDbester(m): 9:22pm On Jan 01, 2017
abdulahi001:

People like you necessitate the importance of civility101 as a course in our institutions. You called me mumu but you failed to identify just a single reason why I am in your post. if I may ask what class are you?

the last time i checked i was in elementary 5. ode101, why dnt u put the right pix in ur write up initially
Re: The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 10:09pm On Jan 01, 2017
UDbester:

the last time i checked i was in elementary 5. ode101, why dnt u put the right pix in ur write up initially

Then, the class is really good for you, people of your class learn with pictures better than words, hence your request for many pictures.
Re: The Headless Chicken by DozieInc(m): 10:10pm On Jan 01, 2017
Unbelievably true, which kin' thing be dis.
Re: The Headless Chicken by abdulahi001: 11:33am On Jan 10, 2017
DozieInc:
Unbelievably true, which kin' thing be dis.

As in, it's enough to start a major argument.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ghastly Accident In Imo State University Junction (graphic Pix) / 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress / Neco 2017 Chemistry Answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.