Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? (15209 Views)

2020 Police Recruitment: IGP Suspends Entry Requirements For Candidates / Requirements For FRSC Successful Candidate 2018-recruitment Still Pending / MTN Nigeria Recruitment 2017 | Application Requirements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? by The5DME(m): 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2022
pierrenwob:
Hi, a Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Physics, Physics Electronics with a First Class or Second Class Upper will almost certainly get you an entry level job into any of the Telecoms company. At least it will get you an interview. I worked in the recruitment unit of one of the GSM Operators for over seven years. Graduate of other Engineering Disciplines have good chances provided they have good result 1st Class/ Second Class Upper. Second Class Lower with relevant Master's Degree is also considered.
How about graduates of physical science, of they have a CCNA and relevant knowledge?
Re: Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? by The5DME(m): 8:05pm On Jul 23, 2022
Alore:

I work in a Telecom company. The trend in the industry is fast changing and I will advise you to position yourself for the future. Field operation and field maintenance functions in Telecoms companies are being outsourced to Telecoms coy like Ericsson, Huawei, IHS (facilities, infrastructure maintenance). In those companies, graduates of PSE will have jobs but trust me, mostof those jobs can be dead end having no sterling future prospects in the scheme of things - at best you keep on doing the same thing with some little changes.

What is the future of Telecoms? The trend is IP, Cloud Technology, Application-based solutions. On this note, I'll strongly advise you to follow a career path that gets you footing and assures you climbing on the right ladder into the future.

So in summary:
1. go for ECE or COE for your undergraduate study
2. Finish with very good grade (minimum 2.1 or Upper Credit)
3. Get relevant certifications relevant to future-demanding technologies e.g. IP Technologies (Cisco - CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, Juniper, etc). Read more on certification tracks on www.cisco.com/certifications. Get skills/certification on others, like cloud computing, network security and solutions architecture and designs. Also, read up on IT Projects and Business certifications e.g. PMP, PRINCE2, ITIL, AGILE, SCRUM, SIX SIGMA, etc. There are some Telecoms/IT jobs where coding/scripting/software development skills are demanded. Most foreign jobs posted in Telecoms section have these in very high demand. Most of these guys work on the applications side - VAS (Value Added Services e.g. callerbacktunes, Callerfeel, etc.
4. Get a job that gives you experience along any of the above or similar career track and work steadily but swiftly around to learn the ropes and be an authority. Prioritise on company where there is training and exposure to these technologies; the pay may not be much but stick with a company that teaches you hands-on skills. Get as many relevant certifications as you can, ensuring you follow through to at least professional level of your core career track within the first three (3) years of your working.
5. Strategically, look out for a change of roles or position after the first 3 years of your job - it may be with same organisation or outside of it. Recruitment people (HR) seems to love people who have[b] strong career mobility[/b].
6. After your first 3 years, get expert certifications. Also, go for your MSc or MBA, to prepare you for taking up managerial positions.
Continuous learning is the key! Don't spend your early money you made at work to buy Lexus 350 and take up 3 bedroom flat in Lekki!!! Use it instead to invest in your career. If you must travel out, let it be that you go for workshops and seminars relevant to your career! Don't just go there to sleep in expensive hotels and riding in yachts!
Above all, fear God and keep all His commandments! Follow experienced and highly-knowledgeable career gurus in the house like Jarus and Ajanlekoko! These guys are good!
How about physical science students who are interested in working in the Telecom industry, and have CCNAs?
Re: Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? by BlessedJonMoss: 9:23am On Aug 26, 2022
Alore:

I work in a Telecom company. The trend in the industry is fast changing and I will advise you to position yourself for the future. Field operation and field maintenance functions in Telecoms companies are being outsourced to Telecoms coy like Ericsson, Huawei, IHS (facilities, infrastructure maintenance). In those companies, graduates of PSE will have jobs but trust me, mostof those jobs can be dead end having no sterling future prospects in the scheme of things - at best you keep on doing the same thing with some little changes.

What is the future of Telecoms? The trend is IP, Cloud Technology, Application-based solutions. On this note, I'll strongly advise you to follow a career path that gets you footing and assures you climbing on the right ladder into the future.

So in summary:
1. go for ECE or COE for your undergraduate study
2. Finish with very good grade (minimum 2.1 or Upper Credit)
3. Get relevant certifications relevant to future-demanding technologies e.g. IP Technologies (Cisco - CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, Juniper, etc). Read more on certification tracks on www.cisco.com/certifications. Get skills/certification on others, like cloud computing, network security and solutions architecture and designs. Also, read up on IT Projects and Business certifications e.g. PMP, PRINCE2, ITIL, AGILE, SCRUM, SIX SIGMA, etc. There are some Telecoms/IT jobs where coding/scripting/software development skills are demanded. Most foreign jobs posted in Telecoms section have these in very high demand. Most of these guys work on the applications side - VAS (Value Added Services e.g. callerbacktunes, Callerfeel, etc.
4. Get a job that gives you experience along any of the above or similar career track and work steadily but swiftly around to learn the ropes and be an authority. Prioritise on company where there is training and exposure to these technologies; the pay may not be much but stick with a company that teaches you hands-on skills. Get as many relevant certifications as you can, ensuring you follow through to at least professional level of your core career track within the first three (3) years of your working.
5. Strategically, look out for a change of roles or position after the first 3 years of your job - it may be with same organisation or outside of it. Recruitment people (HR) seems to love people who have[b] strong career mobility[/b].
6. After your first 3 years, get expert certifications. Also, go for your MSc or MBA, to prepare you for taking up managerial positions.
Continuous learning is the key! Don't spend your early money you made at work to buy Lexus 350 and take up 3 bedroom flat in Lekki!!! Use it instead to invest in your career. If you must travel out, let it be that you go for workshops and seminars relevant to your career! Don't just go there to sleep in expensive hotels and riding in yachts!
Above all, fear God and keep all His commandments! Follow experienced and highly-knowledgeable career gurus in the house like Jarus and Ajanlekoko! These guys are good!

The information you shared here is invaluable.

It is even more meaningful now after more than five years of posting it, I wish I had come across this earlier.

Pls I'd like to connect with you and have more conversation on the topic, if you don't mind.
I've sent you a dm on here on NL, pls respond it.

Thanks
Re: Requirements For A Job In A Tel'com. Company? by The5DME(m): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2022
pierrenwob:
Hi, a Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Physics, Physics Electronics with a First Class or Second Class Upper will almost certainly get you an entry level job into any of the Telecoms company. At least it will get you an interview. I worked in the recruitment unit of one of the GSM Operators for over seven years. Graduate of other Engineering Disciplines have good chances provided they have good result 1st Class/ Second Class Upper. Second Class Lower with relevant Master's Degree is also considered.
How about someone with a Mathematics degree who intends to break into the Telecom industry?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help With Guidelines In Writing A Resignation Letter. / Job Recruitment At WAZOBIA FM Onitsha New Office / Man Narrates How He Disqualified 3 Job Seekers For Not Having PVC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.