Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,582 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Transport Business In 2016. My Experience - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Transport Business In 2016. My Experience (2970 Views)

The 10 Bank Directors That Have Earned The Highest Dividends In 2016 - PIC / Tony Elumelu In 1983 Vs Tony Elumelu In 2003 Vs Him In 2016 (Pics) / Mike Adenuga Is The Biggest Billionaire Gainer In Africa In 2016 - Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2017
The year 2016 started just like every other year. Nothing special.

For those of us in transport business we had high hopes and expectations.

Let me introduce myself. I'm a young transporter. I manage a business called Muntayo Transport. We offer car and bus hire service.

Back to the topic, the year 2016 marked the beginning of the recession.

We suddenly discovered that the game had changed so there was a need to change the "music" as well.

The first pointer was that I suddenly noticed a decline in patronage. All of a sudden it was as if my customers misplaced my number grin

In our car hire business, customers usually call to book for a ride. So the telephone is very important. The moment my phones went on "technical break". I knew something was wrong.

Eventually I had to do an examination and the result.......
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
Number 1:

our regular customers had experienced a general decline in income or they had decided to spend less on cabs. For obviously reasons (the Buhari economy had affected everyone)

Number 2:
Cab fares had suddenly reduced somehow. How did this happen. UBER

Number 3:

It then appeared as if UBER had finally taken over our industry and a good number of my customers had migrated to Uber. (Painful, who says customers are loyal grin )

Note: Initially I had serious dislike for Uber. But I had to change my perspective.

Now why the sudden love for UBER?
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2017
Why the sudden love for Uber?

To all the entrepreneurs in the house we can learn a few things here.

Uber provided a nice car (the oldest car on uber is at least a 2006 model car)

Now imagine this combination.

A nice car (fully air conditioned) neat and sharp

Plus Convenience. Just pick up your smart phone and an Uber ride will pick you up at your preferred pick up point.

Then to crown it all, relatively cheap price.

What else can a customer ask for?

As far as I'm concerned Uber offered an opportunity for the average customer to experience the "good life"

After series of brainstorming and all I decided to join Uber.

I had to learn a thing of 2 from them.
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by CuteTj(m): 12:02am On Jan 03, 2017
Uber was a serious game changer for cab businesses. I think you didn't see the threat uber was going to pose to your business nor envisage the impact it will have on the cab business industry.

It is important to be conscious of the steps of other competitors as they are capable of pushing us out of the market before we know what is happening.

Well it is good you have learnt from the experience.

3 Likes

Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 2:26pm On Jan 03, 2017
CuteTj:
Uber was a serious game changer for cab businesses. I think you didn't see the threat uber was going to pose to your business nor envisage the impact it will have on the cab business industry.

It is important to be conscious of the steps of other competitors as they are capable of pushing us out of the market before we know what is happening.

Well it is good you have learnt from the experience.

You have a point. I saw it coming but I was in denial. Eventually I had to learn by experience.

1 Like

Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by donbabade: 2:33pm On Jan 03, 2017
I thought u hated uber.
So how is ur experience with uber?
How much on d avg were u able to make?
I quit uber cos of their many slave like conditions
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 7:45pm On Jan 03, 2017
MY UBER EXPERIENCE (contd)

I applied and wrote the test, then I decided to drive for about 2 months just to gain first hand knowledge.

First day at work I discovered the first secret about uber.

1. They offer cheap prices.
Picked up a customer from Ikeja to Marina in the morning (Plus Ikorodu road traffic) and she paid just around N2,400 or there about. Don't forget uber gets 25% commission

2. They have a lot of customers
The moment you drop off a client you may receive another request immediately. With this a driver is sure of multiple trips daily.

3. The customers absolutely love Uber
Why not? Uber is good news for the customers. A nice ride takes u around town at a cheap price.
This is more of a blessing to uber as it helps to boost market acceptance.

4. Uber is convenient and user friendly for the customer.
You simply grab your phone and in a few minutes a driver is waiting at your door step. So sweet.

5. They give discounts and free rides.
Regular cab operators like us really do not offer discounts and stuff. And of course everyone loves a free gift isn't it.

With all the points listed above and from my interaction with uber customers I discovered that Uber has come to stay and the regular cab guys (like myself) stand no chance of survival.

The only way out is to embrace change. Change our mentality first, then our business model.

In fact uber is more like an agent of change in the taxi industry in Nigeria and the customer is the ultimate winner.

The uber business model is interesting. It has its good sides but some flaws still exist.
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 7:48pm On Jan 03, 2017
At the end of the day I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone.

1. Serve my existing customers

2. Join Uber

That is the current business model and it works like magic. Cars are placed on Uber and still serve non Uber customers.

This is a brief summary of my experience.

I'm ready to answer questions and we can share ideas about any aspect of car hire and bus hire business.

Thank you.
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2017
donbabade:
I thought u hated uber.
So how is ur experience with uber?
How much on d avg were u able to make?
I quit uber cos of their many slave like conditions

Experience explained already.

Average earnings between 30- 50k weekly after deducting expenses. Subject to certain conditions.

I agree they have some funny conditions though
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by SuperSolon(m): 1:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
Good day Mr Sage. Nice post by you there and thanks for sharing your experience. please I would like to connect with you as I have interest in driving Uber. thank you sir. u can reach me on 07068507889.
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by SuperSolon(m): 1:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
Good day Mr Sage. Nice post by you there and thanks for sharing your experience. please I would like to connect with you as I have interest in driving Uber. thank you sir. u can reach me on 07068507889.
Re: Transport Business In 2016. My Experience by mrsage(m): 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
SuperSolon:

Okay sir.

(1) (Reply)

Online Paying Business Needed! Willing To Pay / Need Help Getting Clients For Online Business? Follow This Instruction. / Cocoa Export Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.