Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven (3852 Views)

The Best Jumia Most Rated Microwave Oven / Clearance Sale!!! 20 Litre Microwave Oven!! / 5 Things We Discovered In Latest Laboratory Test On Plastic Rice - NAFDAC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by PascalEgens: 7:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
The microwave oven has become essential to every modern kitchen. Due to its ability to save time, stress and reduce hazard, we can now heat that cup of tea in the morning before dashing out for work and reheat the frozen leftover soup in the evening when we come back. All with ease.

However, like other appliances, we should not take the microwave for granted as impending dangers may turn into reality. To keep it working, here is a look at five things you should never put in your microwave.

Aluminium foil

Those foils we use to wrap our moi moi, cakes and snacks are not meant to follow the meal to the microwave oven. Reason being that the metal interior of your microwave is made to reflect back radio waves, which are usually called microwaves. These waves are responsible for the electromagnetic energy that warms up food. Aluminum foil reflects back the waves. The results are sparks and potentially a fire.

Paper bags

These days we shop in grocery stores and they collect our items in fancy paper bags. When you get home, do not allow that paper bag accompany any food to your microwave oven. A standard paper bag from the grocery store can catch fire in the microwave? That’s because it doesn’t have susceptors, a specialized material that can handle the radio waves produced by the microwave. As a result, fumes and toxins from the paper get released during the heating process, potentially causing a fire.

Plastic and Steel mugs

These handy cups are perfect for sipping coffee on the go. But don’t try to reheat your tea or coffee in them. Steel mugs can cause friction from the buildup of energy in the appliance. Many plastic mugs can’t take the heating process. But those written “microwave safe” on the outside are ok to enter the microwave oven.

Takeaway Styrofoam

Stryrofoam or polystyrene foam popularly called takeaway in Nigeria has save many restaurants from the excesses of plates and their inconvenience nature. But they have not done any good to the environment as takeaways are littered in every street corner and gutter, adding to the already stretched dirtiness of the street by sachet water polythene bags.

When you buy a food in that restaurant and they choose a takeaway. If you get home, please do not reheat that food inside the takeaway. Kindly remove the food in the takeaway and put it in a stainless steel plate and then reheat in the microwave. Why? By using the styrofoam to reheat, the material can melt, releasing unappetizing and unhealthy toxins into your food.

Eggs

An eggshell traps steam that forms when the microwave does its job of heating. When that reaches critical mass, it can explode. The result is a very messy, hard-to-clean microwave oven.

For more interesting tips, visit www.homeaplik.com

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by alatbaba1(m): 7:49pm On Jan 04, 2017
I once try to reheat a cold egg roll i bought. the result as very messy. thank God i was alone at home then my friend would have called me village boi. grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by DozieInc(m): 8:03pm On Jan 04, 2017
Microwave it
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by acenazt: 8:25pm On Jan 04, 2017
Mehn I was wondering how Microwaved egg would taste so I jejely carried one egg to test and satisfy my curiosity. Oboi the boom I heard scared me. Boom-splat and ugghhhhh
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by lepasharon(f): 1:52am On Jan 07, 2017
If you punch holes in the egg it won't explode

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by chukxie(m): 6:02am On Jan 07, 2017
lepasharon:
If you punch holes in the egg it won't explode

Nice idea! I once tried to microwave a leftover scotchegg and ended up with a big BOOM ! grin
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by lepasharon(f): 6:55am On Jan 07, 2017
chukxie:

Nice idea! I once tried to microwave a leftover scotchegg and ended up with a big BOOM ! grin

loool...I learnt the hard way, trial and error
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by TriciaRay: 10:05am On Jul 02, 2020
You are real experimenters with eggs))
Re: 5 Things You Should Never Put In The Microwave Oven by TriciaRay: 11:48am On Jul 02, 2020
BadyBoy:
Honestly, you are right, it is very necessary to understand that in the microwave oven, you can heat and cook food only in special utensils for microwave ovens and never use any plastic and chemical disposable bags, cups and plates. You can read more about the microwaves and some new models of convection microwaves that include in it 2 functions on diligentchef.com. Indeed, this is very comfortable when you can prepare food in it as in the oven and defrost, warm meals like in the microwave.
Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM

(1) (Reply)

Deep Sea Fisherman Takes Photos Of What Lives In The Deep Waters / Who Loves Chinese Food? / See The Delicious Food That My Friend Invited Me Over To Eat In Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.