Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan (1526 Views)

APC Changes Slogan From ‘Change’ To ‘Progress’ / Is It Time To Change The IGP? / Senator Ben Murray-bruce Mocks Change Slogan Of APC Led-government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by JohnNgene: 4:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
Recently, I was arguing with my friend from Abia state about the Fulani attack on Enugu and Governor Ugwuanyi's response to it, when he said, "Enugu is Coal City. No wonder you people behave like charcoal". I laughed so hard that day. Lol.

Yet, on a serious note, that "The Coal City" slogan of Enugu state no longer serves its former purpose. Enugu state has since grown beyond the era of coal. We even celebrated one hundred years of existence in 2009. I think that was the best time to change the slogan but it's better late than never.

Anambra state, for instance, changed its slogan during the Peter Obi administration. Everyone will agree that "Light of the Nation" is a far more powerful and inspiring slogan than "Home for All". Better still, Anambra state seems to be doing its new slogan justice by shining the light for the nation to follow through its exploits in agriculture and business.

Similarly, I suggest that my dear Enugu state should change its slogan from the old and dull "Coal City" to a more significant one like "Rising Sun". Or even "Golden City" if the Nigerian government fears the association of "Rising Sun" to Biafra. Lol.

Are you from Enugu state like me, a resident of Enugu state or a stakeholder in Enugu state? What do think about my suggestion? Please also feel free to suggest a new slogan for our dear Enugu state.

I am Ngene Chibueze John, the light of Africa.
Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2017
JohnNgene:
Recently, I was arguing with my friend from Abia state about the Fulani attack on Enugu and Governor Ugwuanyi's response to it, when he said, "Enugu is Coal City. No wonder you people behave like charcoal". I laughed so hard that day. Lol.

Yet, on a serious note, that "The Coal City" slogan of Enugu state no longer serves its former purpose. Enugu state has since grown beyond the era of coal. We even celebrated one hundred years of existence in 2009. I think that was the best time to change the slogan but it's better late than never.

Anambra state, for instance, changed its slogan during the Peter Obi administration. Everyone will agree that "Light of the Nation" is a far more powerful and inspiring slogan than "Home for All". Better still, Anambra state seems to be doing its new slogan justice by shining the light for the nation to follow through its exploits in agriculture and business.

Similarly, I suggest that my dear Enugu state should change its slogan from the old and dull "Coal City" to a more significant one like "Rising Sun". Or even "Golden City" if the Nigerian government fears the association of "Rising Sun" to Biafra. Lol.

Are you from Enugu state like me, a resident of Enugu state or a stakeholder in Enugu state? What do think about my suggestion? Please also feel free to suggest a new slogan for our dear Enugu state.

I am Ngene Chibueze John, the light of Africa.
changed to drug is prohibited
Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2017
It should stay the way it is. You don't just change your history overnight. Enugu was more known for coal than anything else.

2 Likes

Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by nonsobaba: 6:46pm On Jan 05, 2017
I agree. Coal city or Golden city state is the reason why development is disproportionate in the state as all governors focus on Enugu town while the rest of the state looks like were people fled a war or something.

1 Like

Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by Afam4eva(m): 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2017
nonsobaba:
I agree. Coal city or Golden city state is the reason why development is disproportionate in the state as all governors focus on Enugu town while the rest of the state looks like were people fled a war or something.
So, by renaming it, development will spread even if the government does not make a concerted effort to do so?
Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by nonsobaba: 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

So, by renaming it, development will spread even if the government does not make a concerted effort to do so?
There is power in the word. Ever since Anambra became Light of the Nation, the state has been a reference point for good governance all over Nigeria. Coal city or Golden city tag gives one the impression that there is one special city in the state that overshadows every other part of the state. It is an illusion because even mere cashew sales generates far more revenue in Enugu state than the comatose Coal inustry. You see why the name is awkward?

1 Like

Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by Afam4eva(m): 7:43pm On Jan 05, 2017
nonsobaba:
There is power in the word. Ever since Anambra became Light of the Nation, the state has been a reference point for good governance all over Nigeria. Coal city or Golden city tag gives one the impression that there is one special city in the state that overshadows every other part of the state. It is an illusion because even mere cashew sales generates far more revenue in Enugu state than the comatose Coal inustry. You see why the name is awkward?
if you say the name should be changed because Enugu can no longer be described as a coal city state because it doesn't produce any state, i may agree with you. But if you're suggesting that by changing a name, all things will fall into place then i don't know what to say. If the name was so important then why has the coal industry being in comatose considering that it's named the coal city. lol.

1 Like

Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by JohnNgene: 8:01am On Jan 06, 2017
Afam4eva, I don't think changing Enugu state's slogan will automatically erase its history of coal production. The same way changing the name Gold Coast to Ghana didn't erase that country's history. But a question I must ask is:
Is coal the reason why Enugu city is so developed or did its history as the capital of Igboland cause that development?

Nonsobaba, you made a strong point when you said that cashew generates more revenue for Enugu state than coal. Please suggest a new slogan.
Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by Afam4eva(m): 8:09am On Jan 06, 2017
I don't care much about the current slogan. I'm just worried that we lay so much emphasis in things that are not relevant or atleast are not of utmost important. Imagine someone saying that by changing the slogan, development will spread to every part of Enugu.

if you think changing the slogan to "The Cashew state" then no wahala.

1 Like

Re: It's Time To Change Enugu State's Slogan by nonsobaba: 8:34am On Jan 06, 2017
JohnNgene:
Afam4eva, I don't think changing Enugu state's slogan will automatically erase its history of coal production. The same way changing the name Gold Coast to Ghana didn't erase that country's history. But a question I must ask is:
Is coal the reason why Enugu city is so developed or did its history as the capital of Igboland cause that development?

Nonsobaba, you made a strong point when you said that cashew generates more revenue for Enugu state than coal. Please suggest a new slogan.
How about 'Hills of Fortune' in reference to the hills and mountains that define the landscape of the entire state and the agricutural potentials and mineral deposits above and beneath same? Afterall, the state is Enu-Ugwu, isn't it?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

US Senator Ben Cardin Tells Trump Don't Sell Fighter Planes To Buhari / Why Are Nigerians Or Africans Not Wealthy - Jewish German Reveals ! / President Buhari And Former President Obasanjo Come Face To Face At AU(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.