Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria (33455 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by Kingsley10000: 8:51am On Jan 06, 2017
even hong Kong a city in China speaks English

1 Like

Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by davidif: 8:52am On Jan 06, 2017
donfemo:
We are still slaves to the colonialist, We make fun of people who cannot speak proper English. When there are countries colonized by the British and they did not adopt English.

Preach!!!!
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by taiwo3489(m): 9:19am On Jan 06, 2017
fratermathy:

It's easier said than done. I am not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa yet I am a Nigerian. Will I then be forced to dump my language and adopt that of another that won't even help me in any way?

As a Yoruba, assuming you are one, will you start speaking Igbo if it is made an official language?

Meanwhile, don't think this idea hasn't already been considered. Northerners have tried forcing Hausa on all of us as an official language several times but it didn't work.

It's easier said than done bro.

We are our own problem, tribalism won't take us anywhere.

I am from the yoruba tribe, but I am willing to learn any language either Igbo or Hausa in as much as it is for the good of the society.

Moreover, hausa and igbo are in lagos and they speak yoruba likewise yoruba in hausa and igbo land speaks the language of that land.

I dnt see it as a problem if tribalism is erased.

It will only protect us from foreign invaders.

You agree wit me all developed country speak their language even toh they av plenty tribes.
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by yedidiah(m): 9:36am On Jan 06, 2017
I wonder why more Nigerians, want to speak with accent( which is in a sense, a dialect ) than speak the normal English.
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by swagkingcole(m): 10:39am On Jan 06, 2017
petrov10:
fucking country

the same Britain went to China, India, Korea, Japan etc these people don't speak english

China itself has multiple ethnic groups yet they don't speak english

9ja carry english for head
even the lawyers they wear that craze person wig for head like englishmen

Africa eh
So in your planet India doesn't speak english.
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by petrov10: 10:49am On Jan 06, 2017
swagkingcole:

So in your planet India doesn't speak english.
English is not their official language pls Google hindi and educate yourself

don't mention me agaain
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by maverick001: 10:59am On Jan 06, 2017
moscobabs:
Rubbish ...who english help? No b English we dey take deceive ourselves in this country. Y can't we use one of our languages as lingual franca or even use Pidgin English so everybody wud be able to express him/herself well.

Have u seen a Nigerian THINKING with English?
it's nt evri one o........English is nt first language Nd I think in English............Nd most middle class and upper class children under the age of 10 have English as their first language
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by swagkingcole(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2017
petrov10:
English is not their official language pls Google hindi and educate yourself

don't mention me agaain
Bro they have two official languages English and Hindi..
U can't tell me not to mention you again
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:56am On Jan 06, 2017
fratermathy:

It's easier said than done. I am not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa yet I am a Nigerian. Will I then be forced to dump my language and adopt that of another that won't even help me in any way?

As a Yoruba, assuming you are one, will you start speaking Igbo if it is made an official language?

Meanwhile, don't think this idea hasn't already been considered. Northerners have tried forcing Hausa on all of us as an official language several times but it didn't work.

It's easier said than done bro.
I really don't understand how people reason. the guy that you quoted is suggesting that one language be chosen because he's hoping that his language will be the chosen one. I think every language is as important as the other. I cannot drop my language to speak to accept another Nigerian language. Instead, make we continue to dey speak English till Jesus comes.

1 Like

Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by petrov10: 1:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
swagkingcole:

Bro they have two official languages English and Hindi..
U can't tell me not to mention you again
I asked you not to mention me again because you know nothing.
French is our number 2 official language. do you / can you speak it?

Indians speak English no more than we speak french here in Nigeria
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by African101(m): 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2017
Africans has been brainwashed and deceived. The slave masters brought English n religion n took away our pride n values. I always say a prayer "i shall never be able to speak foreign language more than my father's language"
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by scarr: 6:10am On Jan 08, 2017
Oghumu1:
If our schools should adopt patois as one of our recognized language and teach with it, we Nigerians will learn very fast. Nobody is dull or can't learn fast it depends on which way we can adopt with when learning. English doesn't belong to us
And patois belongs to us?

Jokers undecided
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by scarr: 6:14am On Jan 08, 2017
taiwo3489:
Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa is our major tribe.

Why not pick one of this language to serve as our official language, and let it be teach in all schools.

With that we would move forward.

Imagine if American or British want to listen to our news, they av to learn either Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. It will be so interesting cuz dey wud av to request for our teachers to teach dem. And I bet not all of them are that patient.

Dem go jst leave to progress witout interference.

So what's the yard to pick the language.
Pick Hausa and southerners would complain.
Pick Yoruba and my eastern brothers would say they want thier own country
Pick Iboundecided I don't even want to imagine the chaos
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by taiwo3489(m): 7:45pm On Jan 09, 2017
scarr:

So what's the yard to pick the language. Pick Hausa and southerners would complain. Pick Yoruba and my eastern brothers would say they want thier own country Pick Iboundecided I don't even want to imagine the chaos
We need unity, if there is love all this won't be happening...
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pidgin English is the way to go...
Let us have a board that will regulate it, then we add new words every year from our local dialect infused into the pidgin, in 29 years, you will be surprised at the results.

Jamaicans speak their patois and dem no send...
Now today it is fashionable to speak Patois, and it's well known on the global stage compared to any African Language
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by scarr: 8:20am On Jan 10, 2017
taiwo3489:

We need unity, if there is love all this won't be happening...

I totally agree with you that we need unity but even with the strongest unity amongst us, it's almost impossible to choose one out of our major languages to be an official language.
Re: History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria by taiwo3489(m): 10:10am On Jan 10, 2017
scarr:

I totally agree with you that we need unity but even with the strongest unity amongst us, it's almost impossible to choose one out of our major languages to be an official language.

Let stop making it look like it impossible, even the word says I'mpossible. If other developed country that as more ethnic group than us can make one the official, so why can't we...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Polytechnic Student Found Dead In His Apartment (photo) / Opeyemi Enoch Has NOT Solved The Riemann Hypothesis: Didnt Get Any $1M / Japa: Over 137 Students On Scholarship Abroad Absconded — TETFUND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.