Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:44 AM

God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] (1794 Views)

Help! My Pastor Hates Me! / If God Hates Human Sacrifice, Why Did He Sacrifice His Son On The Cross? / Ladies - Dont Use Hillshoes To Church, God Hates It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by KunleOshob(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2009
"Well, one could even almost say that we have a model for God [, ] that He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them."

This is a rather bold statement, and oddly enough, it was made by an otherwise distinguished physicist in an unpublished article. Unpublished (and slightly tongue-in-cheek) it may be, but this forms the background of Dr Holger Bech Nielsen's research that has appeared in publications over the past 18 months. Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and co-author Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, Japan, have been hinting about this subject for some time, but in a recent New York Times essay, Nielsen directly blames God for our Higgs boson woes.

The two researchers propose that the search for the Higgs Boson is jinxed, and forever will be, because this bizarre particle has the ability to travel back in time. In a nutshell, Nielsen and Ninomiya reckon that the creation of a Higgs particle during the energetic collision inside a particle accelerator -- such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) -- will cause a chain of events that will ripple back in time, stopping its creation in the future. Nielsen and Ninomiya seem to think there is some kind of natural quantum censor that prevents the Higgs particle from being produced.

", the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one." --Dennis Overbye, NY Times Essay, Oct. 12 2009.

It sounds like a particle physics version of Back To The Future and the "Grandfather Paradox" (i.e. if a man could travel back in time to kill his grandfather, would he cease to exist?), and it is certainly a very interesting question. But where's the evidence?

Nielsen and Ninomiya think that the troubled path to the potential discovery of the Higgs is proof that their theory is valid. Take the 1993 closure of the United States Superconducting Supercollider, after billions of dollars had been invested in the project. Why would the project be canceled? Could it be that the collider discovered the Higgs in the future, only for that future Higgs particle to send a signal to the Universe that it cannot be discovered, thereby triggering a natural safety mechanism in the temporal fabric of spacetime, ensuring US Congress pulled the plug on the project after $2 billion had been invested?

Right,

And what about the September 2008 LHC troubles when a transformer broke down and then a quench vaporized the connection between two of the accelerator's superconducting magnets, ensuring a 14 month delay in particle collisions? Is this proof that the LHC discovered the Higgs particle in the future, triggering the Universal safety mechanism to prevent--

You get the picture.

Although things are already starting to sound like a Dan Brown novel, the fact that the researchers decided to bring God into it makes the whole story even crazier.

I have an alternate theory. Could it be that the hunt for the Higgs boson is just really hard? After all, to produce a Higgs particle requires a lot of energy and the particle accelerators required are the most advanced pieces of scientific equipment ever built in the history of mankind. This fact alone means that prototypes cannot be constructed; all the practical experiments carried out at the LHC (for example) will be one of a kind. Mistakes are bound to happen and the experiments will need to be adapted to cater for unforeseen variables.

So, is "God" sabotaging the LHC? I think there are far simpler explanations.

Source: New York Times

Source : http://news.discovery.com/space/god-hates-the-higgs-boson.html
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by KunleOshob(m): 12:48pm On Nov 22, 2009
Some supposedly Atheist Scientists are now blaming God for their failures. grin grin grin
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:20pm On Jul 02, 2012
Things would have been a lot simpler if these dunder-head scientists put a call through to Darth Vader
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by logicboy01: 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2012
KunleOshob: Some supposedly Atheist Scientists are now blaming God for their failures. grin grin grin

Ignorance and hypocrisy.

Some people would insult scientists while using medicine, laptops and live hygenic lives.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by PastorKun(m): 7:25am On Jul 03, 2012
logicboy01:

Ignorance and hypocrisy.

Some people would insult scientists while using medicine, laptops and live hygenic lives.

And how did the OP insult scientists? I know calling someone an atheist is insultive though but I don't expect your vacant mind to realise that.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by DeepSight(m): 11:20am On Jul 03, 2012
Pastor Kun:

And how did the OP insult scientists? I know calling someone an atheist is insultive though but I don't expect your vacant mind to realise that.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Nice one!
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by logicboy01: 11:25am On Jul 03, 2012
Pastor Kun:

I was replying to a particular post that said that atheist scientists were blaming God. Why would a scientist atheist or nor blame god for an error in calculations?

KunleOshob: Some supposedly Atheist Scientists are now blaming God for their failures. grin grin grin
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by logicboy01: 11:25am On Jul 03, 2012
Deep Sight:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Nice one!

Cheerleading without understnding the context. grin
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by DeepSight(m): 11:37am On Jul 03, 2012
logicboy01:

Cheerleading without understnding the context. grin

Responding without understanding the innuendo. . . which, as Pastor Kun predicted, has escaped you!

I am not interested in the thread, but, here, to help you, read again, and see what I was laffin at - - -

Pastor Kun:

I know calling someone an atheist is insultive though but I don't expect your vacant mind to realise that.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by logicboy01: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2012
Deep Sight:

Responding without understanding the innuendo. . . which, as Pastor Kun predicted, has escaped you!

I am not interested in the thread, but, here, to help you, read again, and see what I was laffin at - - -

No problems, you have acknowledged your ignorance. Cheers
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by tbaba1234: 12:38pm On Jul 03, 2012
It honestly takes a greater leap of faith to believe in the non-existence of God than to believe in the existence of one.

@deepsight

What are your beliefs?
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by PastorKun(m): 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
logicboy01:

I was replying to a particular post that said that atheist scientists were blaming God. Why would a scientist atheist or nor blame god for an error in calculations?

Did you read the original article before commenting? If then you would realise that it is the scientist that are supposedly blaming God and not me, i am merely commenting.

ps: by the way i am the OP, i posted this article using my previous user name a couple of years ago.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2012
"As some of you may know, The God Particle is the title of a popular science book by Nobel Prize winner Leon Lederman, who was Fermilab's director for many years and thus my boss when I was a postdoctoral fellow there. According to Leon, he wanted to call the book The Goddamn Particle because nobody could find the thing. However, his editor discouraged him from the title, suggesting that The God Particle would sell many more copies. This is the story that Leon tells us."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/12/12/143571097/here-we-go-again-has-misnamed-god-particle-finally-been-found

@OP
don't worry, the particle really has nothing to do with god, yours or any other one. It was just the title of a book in order to sell more copies because we know mentioning "god" can be very lucrative. You should know this since you're a christian.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by PastorKun(m): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
Martian: "As some of you may know, The God Particle is the title of a popular science book by Nobel Prize winner Leon Lederman, who was Fermilab's director for many years and thus my boss when I was a postdoctoral fellow there. According to Leon, he wanted to call the book The Goddamn Particle because nobody could find the thing. However, his editor discouraged him from the title, suggesting that The God Particle would sell many more copies. This is the story that Leon tells us."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/12/12/143571097/here-we-go-again-has-misnamed-god-particle-finally-been-found

@OP
don't worry, the particle really has nothing to do with god, yours or any other one. It was just the title of a book in order to sell more copies because we know mentioning "god" can be very lucrative. You should know this since you're a christian.

Whilst i submit that religion and the mention of God has been commercialized in some circles, it does not take away the reality of God. That aside everything as to do with God who is the creator of all things s i really don't get your point.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Whilst i submit that religion and the mention of God has been commercialized in some circles, it does not take away the reality of God. That aside everything as to do with God who is the creator of all things s i really don't get your point.

My point is, the higgs boson has nothin to do with god and I jut posted the link to show how it got the moniker, "the god particle". Your god has always been a commercial commodity......tithes, indulgencies when the pope had the power, prosperity gospel, offerings,promise of paradise full of earthly objects(streets of gold ) etc

I didn't say anything about your "reality" of god and his creation. That's just your way of dealing with the absurd. Your god is a popular one though.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by logicboy01: 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Did you read the original article before commenting? If then you would realise that it is the scientist that are supposedly blaming God and not me, i am merely commenting.

ps: by the way i am the OP, i posted this article using my previous user name a couple of years ago.

Confusion......

1) Scientists dont blame God

2) Sorry I didnt know you had 2 accounts
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by PastorKun(m): 3:04pm On Jul 03, 2012
logicboy01:

Confusion......

1) Scientists dont blame God

2) Sorry I didnt know you had 2 accounts

Nope i don't "have" two accounts per se, more like i have a previous account. I have since stop posting with the other account.
Re: God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] by DeepSight(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2012
tbaba1234: It honestly takes a greater leap of faith to believe in the non-existence of God than to believe in the existence of one.

@deepsight

What are your beliefs?

Non-religious empirical and intuitive deist.

https://www.nairaland.com/404066/essentials-deism

(1) (Reply)

Paul Believed That Jesus Was Not God / Religion, How Did It Began / Is There A Second Chance After The Rapture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.