Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,278 members, 7,842,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

There Is A Pebble In My Shoes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is A Pebble In My Shoes (594 Views)

Tinubu To Buhari-shine MY Shoes.lol / Tinubu-buhari: "Shine My Shoes" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

There Is A Pebble In My Shoes by memzycool: 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2009
As far as moral history is concerned, the last generation of true Africans [our parents] with rich trado-cultural and religious norms and values might be winding up. I remember my guardian used to tell me how he went to school just to get some “education”, be able to communicate in the alien language and he always dreamt of speaking like Tafawa Balewa of blessed memory, and how much he admired Fela Kuti’s call for a corruption free society which stresses trying to bring an end to colonial indirect enslavement of African[post independence style].
The last generation of true Africans went to school to get educated not a Meal Ticket, they strove hard having in mind that collectively or otherwise, they would be given a chance to work in Nigeria’s bureaucratic administration and be given the honor to serve in nation building, they revered with utmost passion and an insatiable zeal for emulation the legendry Kwame Nkurma’s, Gen Usman Katsina’s, sardauna’a, Awolowo’s, Namdi Azikwe’s, Balewa’s e.t.c. and they hard an unshaken mindset to emulate these immortal humans who fought so hard to make Africa and Nigeria a better place. The last generation of true Africans loved Nigeria with a passion and always thought of what they could sacrifice for their motherland either in thought, time or money and not what they could squeeze out of it.
When I look forth at my generation, my heart bleeds with so much pain!. We are the generation entrusted upon with the responsibility of making Nigeria a better place, for our children and our children’s children right? Or we just don’t care huhn?, the basic impression is “ if I can make some cool money, get my children a good life then Nigeria could go to hell huhn? Well the truth of the matter is that “what goes around comes around” if Nigeria is corrupt, no matter how hard you try to protect your own, it will still catch up.
When I look hard at my generation, I see a generation of youngsters with misplaced priorities, I see a selfish and self indulgent cadre of future leaders, I see half baked and ill educated people with no regards for being their brothers keepers let alone their nation builders, I see a generation of future leaders with such gullible role models as Michael scoffield, Angelina Jolie, Christiano Ronaldo, Drogba, Tupac, Celine Dion, t.bag, David Beckamp, Jessica alba, Ali Nuhu, Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Anioston, Brad Pitt, Fati Muh’d e.t.c.
Sometimes I get to thinking that this pebble in my shoe will give me a gangrene. My generation don’t refer to scholarly books and important education web links to be educated on life, living, religion or leadership, but only wait in earnest for Oprah Winfrey, Dr Phil or some movie e.t.c to give them advice on how to live; ohh! what a pathetic state of intellectual degeneration have we scooped so low to.
My own generation cannot be referred to as true African huhn? There is an adage in Igbo land that says, “ it is by copying what everybody does that the monkey ended up cutting its own throat”, thus we are neither British nor Americans, Latin nor French, Arabic nor Indians… “a lizard they say may resemble a crocodile, but it does not necessararily make it to become one” and imitation they say is the highest form of flattery, and it is limitation. So, when I peep into the future of our dear nation guess what i see? If Michael scoffield and the likes of him would be passionately seen as role models and be religiously emulated by the supposed future leaders guess what subsequently ensues? Thus, the above questions are a food for thought to ponder over.
Meanwhile, I appeal to those within the concerned cadre to please close their eyes and visualize Nigeria in the next fifty years going at this reckless phase coupled with our generations supposed provisions for tomorrow. What will the future of our own children look like? Their children?,
So please, let us wake up from our fantasy slumber, come together, be patriotic, selfless and strive to love our country and make Nigeria a better place thus, preserving and restoring trado-cultural and religious norms, values and be our brothers keepers.
Nigeria good people, great nation!,
Long live the federal republic of Nigeria,
Long live Africa,
United we stand, divided we fall[ like a house of cards]
Muhammad Tijjani Nakande is a freelance, a neo panafricanist. Geography department university of Maiduguri, Borno State Nigeria. You can reach him at www.muhmmadnakandesworld..com or email him at memzycool@yahoo.com .

(1) (Reply)

Anambra 2010 / Wicked Mother Transfer Agression To Her Kid / Nigeria President Umaru Yar'adua 'has Heart Problem'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.