Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,760 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria (19782 Views)

Burial Of Man, 2 Daughters Who Died After Taking Traditional Medicine In Anambra / Tiantian: Chinese Baby Born 4 Years After The Death Of The Parents / Nigerian Scientists Prove Efficacy Of Nano-medicine In HIV/AIDS Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 06, 2017
1. In reality, western medicines has done a lot of good, especially to us Africans but it's not enough to totally discard our traditional medicine.

2. Part of my aim for this thread is to highlight how our pharmacists and pharmacologists are being useless as well as the university that produces them.

3. I read an article about the guy that invented alabukun, that pain killer, yea, y'all know it. it's made from herb extracts and it works. So, my rants below is partly as a result of that article and ofcourse the recession.

If there was something I never took as a child, it was the white man's medicine.
I remember following my mum to an old woman's little wooden shop to get some herbs and barks when anyone of us got sick. After my mum would list out the symptoms to her, the old woman would smile and gather some herbs, or seeds, barks, hand it over to my mum with some instructions on how to brew it and the dosage. My mum would do as instructed and within a few days, the sickness is gone. She always had a tomtom handy to gift me with whenever I finished my dosage.
The old woman always complained about not having anyone committed who would learn from her.

What we see around today that is been paraded as herbal medicine is a mediocre to what it really is.(I mean, those bottled herbal gin) So it's important everyone understands that when we make reference to herbal medicines we are not talking about the bottled 'bitters' mixed with alcohol and packed in unappealing bottles. We are not talking about the ones hawked at the bus stops in various colours in transparent plastic bottles.
We are talking about the ones our ancestors had and passed on to our parents.

Why then have we dumped it totally for a white man's medicine? That's treating your diabetes problem and probably breeding the ground for another bigger disease?

Why do we import malaria medicines from India when we have thousands of pharmacy/pharmacology graduates in the country who can learn from this native herbs, modernise it and do what they were trained to do?

And errm, the old woman I mentioned earlier is dead, and her vast knowledge of herbs, died with her.

#rantover!

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 06, 2017
lalasticlala angry
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 2:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
The procedures for making these herbal drugs are never documented, regulation is none existence, it is open to all and sundry with possibility of high mortality rate, it cannot be traced, dirty and filthy hawkers engage in herbal medicine, storage and packing is poor and unhygenic

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Kondomatic(m): 2:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nigeria demonize everything herbal, I don't know why.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Chimaritoponcho: 2:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
GOD bless you for this op
Traditional herbal medicine are by far more potent than the so called Western medicine ..i remember being down with malaria a year ago and how one of those gave me a permanent and swift cure

I just hope these motherfuckking 'i don't give a Bleep" crew don't come and ruin this thread
#istandwithtraditionalherbalmedicine

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by ajoskele(m): 2:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
.Someone said when the Brits colonized India and Nigeria, the Indians rejected their language, food, clothes, religion and other British culture.
They only embraced their technology.

But Nigeria accepted their language(some would be talking through their noses like the Queen herself), their food(someone cannot eat eba/garri with hands again), clothes(I once wore a fine ankara to campus on a Monday morning and my girl didn't walk with me all day), religion(if you don't go to church on Sunday, consider yourself a devil re-incarnate) and other British lifestyles.

Sadly, we rejected their technology.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
The last drug u took was it herbal?

Be sincere

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
smiley
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Chiscomax(m): 2:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
F
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by sexymoma(f): 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
u go learn from dia hand dem go compensate you with witch
unto say u be dia favorite angry

3 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by jerryadigun: 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
Nice topic !!!!!
These are the kind of informative articles we expect this year not the instagram pictures we were inundated with last year.

5 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by EmekaBlue(m): 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2017
I still drink agbo jedijedi o

4 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Too many Baba Abiodun and Hajiya Bilkisu running the industry...

2 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by oladipo322(m): 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
Everybody wants to upgrade.
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
Herbal drug is dead because it has no dosage limits, produced under conditions that are not hygienic, vendors are not registered and certified, they have no form of regulation

Except you want to kill yourself u patronize them at your own risk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by boriswole: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
African Traditional Medicine practitioners are responsible, instead of documenting their recipes and packaging their products, they surround the whole thing with superstition and fear.

It is possible that early Africans developed technology that would have been useful today for transportation or flight or energy, they would have retained the knowledge to themselves and used it to frighten their people.

7 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by goshen26: 2:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
Op tiri gbosa for u there, in fact someone should help me that Patrick Evra pics.

We now take our own herb as juju medicine, if u r ill and u went to hospital for drugs, ur pastor will come n pray for u there, but if dear go to mama alagbo shop for treatment na u ur pastor go use do sermon on Sunday, saying "what relationship does darkness has with light" and those white drugs are extracted majorly from local herb.

Most drugs that wrought wonders came from Africa, any thing that came from white is good.

If white package their faeces inside nylon I am sure Africans will buy it

9 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by justicejay(m): 2:12pm On Jan 06, 2017
I was here
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by dhardline(m): 2:12pm On Jan 06, 2017
In China traditional medicine thrives side by side with orthodox medicine. There government there greatly supports them and hence that's why we have so many Chinese teas flooding our markets today. When the government of Nigeria only thinks of oil, plus all those elected that only think of how to get contracts and embezzle without having future plans for all sectors.

10 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by sagieramos(m): 2:12pm On Jan 06, 2017
a woman looking for the fruit of the womb, pain during messes for women, you wanna strengthen ur ateries and capilaries to avoid stroke (note: sometime ur body need high BP to force blood to all part of the body when/if parts of ur vain and arteries get blocked; it is a normal fluid mechanism process of the body, do not reduce it with drugs instead use harb to clear all dirt from ur arteries, then ur bp automatically reduce), an infant that had consums hair in the womb resulting to illness after birth (this makes the child cry always and lossing weight), glaucoma.
all this can be cure with common harb/grass u see around some in less than a day. thanks to my grandma though for alighten me
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by gfreymom302: 2:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
Its because the practice has been left in the hands of illiterates, meanwhile times have changed. We are in the modern era where everything is in the hands of the educated.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by yanabasee(m): 2:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
k
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by jazinogold(m): 2:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
angry
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:14pm On Jan 06, 2017
little wonder there has been a steady increase in the rate of amputation recently.

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by MEILYN(m): 2:14pm On Jan 06, 2017
free2ryhme:
Herbal drug is dead because has no dosage limits, produced conditions that are not hygienic, vendors are not registered and certified, they have no form of regulation

Except you want to kill yourself u patronize them at your own risk
Nonsense! I for don die if no be for herbal medicine. No doctor was able to treat me, I went to Nigerian Navy Hospital Ojo, I went to many general hospitals as well. An old woman, who never went to school gave me medicine and I was okay within 2 weeks. Till today, I hardly fall ill.

16 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 06, 2017
b
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by AfonjasMustProsper(m): 2:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
Vvg
Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by benueguy(m): 2:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
Herbal all the way... No artificial coloring, no PRESERVATIVES, no chemicals. Our fore fathers used herbs and lived longer than the present day world.

2 Likes

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 2:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
MEILYN:
Nonsense... I for don die if no be for herbal medicine. No doctor was able to treat me, but an old woman gave me medicine and I was okay within 2 weeks.

Which hospital did u go to?

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Talk2Bella(f): 2:16pm On Jan 06, 2017
I still drink Agbo grin

1 Like

Re: The Death Of Traditional Herbal Medicine In Nigeria by Emma003: 2:17pm On Jan 06, 2017
Trado-medicine practice is not dead at all.... In fact, it is more active than Orthodox medicine practice, I'm taking Oshogbo the capital of Osun State as a case study
Those that believe this, give this comment likesgrin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Unknown Patients At National Hospital, Abuja / My Experience At LUTH Extension, Dermatology Clinic. Harvey Road. YABA / Conjoined Baby Girls Delivered In Nasarawa...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.