Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% (12492 Views)

Oando Share Price Up 26%, 3 Days After Trading Reopens / Naira Overvalued By 20%, Says IMF / Mmm Nigeria Reduces Poverty By 20%(bbc News) Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by bettercreature(m): 7:33am On Jan 07, 2017
Is it not Nigeria where almost everyone is greedy
Just because government is trying to stop importation of foreign rice,they increase price of local rice
I said it before,this government is clueless,without competition local product will be too expensive
Ask yourself why the increase in price of palm oil,garri,and various local product because of dollar?
We are just too greedy and this government will never works
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by intruder15(m): 7:35am On Jan 07, 2017
Wat I hate about Nigerians...
prices goes up for no just cause. meaning when the government outrightly ban rice, local producers will finish us with outrageous prices...
and somebody is there blaming buhari....
when dis is obviously caused by the citizens...
during that flood that occurred in states around d banks of river Niger and benue, price of garri increased from 200 to 500 a paint... till date, it never went down.
Nigerians making life difficult for fellow Nigerians since 1960
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Royalfurnitures: 7:39am On Jan 07, 2017
Is forex also affecting local rice production? Anyway, the producers there also need to buy other things in the market, can't blame them.

Pls check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by dominique(f): 7:40am On Jan 07, 2017
Ak47young:
BEWARE any information would really help

Instead of spamming the forum (violation of rule 18), why not create a thread on the business section and include their details and exactly how you were scammed.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by tibro(m): 7:40am On Jan 07, 2017
Its normal, local food price will always go up every year after harvest.
This is due to insufficient supply.
Lack of storage facilities.
No subsidies for farmers.
No mechanised farming.
And above all the mouth that consumet increasth
Every year due to lack of birth control and population control.
This boko haram is a natural way of controlling population.
What we couldn't do on our own, nature is helping us do it.
Change your mindset.
Think again.

Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by azimibraun: 7:40am On Jan 07, 2017
Fayose is Busy conering Paris refund and quarrelling with who no get him time... Grow some rice empty barrel.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by alsudaes1(m): 7:52am On Jan 07, 2017
realsammie:
This is madness. this Buhari's govt is just confuse. Why ban importation of foreign rice to improve local rice while at the end of the day the said local rice will be even more expensive than the foreign rice? who local rice epp

It's so saddening, , ,

Even after placing bans on so many things that benefits the common man, prices of the locally produced ones keeps soaring high, the so called Naira keeps depreciating, virtually everything is just going wrong sad
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by repogirl(f): 7:53am On Jan 07, 2017
intruder15:
Wat I hate about Nigerians...
prices goes up for no just cause. meaning when the government outrightly ban rice, local producers will finish us with outrageous prices...
and somebody is there blaming buhari....
when dis is obviously caused by the citizens...
during that flood that occurred in states around d banks of river Niger and benue, price of garri increased from 200 to 500 a paint... till date, it never went down.
Nigerians making life difficult for fellow Nigerians since 1960
As far as demand outweighs supply, the prices will keep climbing by when it's overly available, the prices crash. Simple economics.

Tell Buhari to stop making things scarce.

2 Likes

Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Nbote(m): 8:05am On Jan 07, 2017
Most of U screaming GDP, are u sure u have any idea what it means with regards to dis topic or u jus think it's a fancy word? U think producing rice dat is selling at outrageous rates to consumers who earn peanuts is boosting ur GDP!! Damn.. If d locally produced rice sells at roughly d same price as d imported ones who do u think would go for d local ones? From d report u can see even d sellers are complaining because dey can't sell it. It's penny wise pounds foolish.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by jomoh: 8:14am On Jan 07, 2017
The challenge now is to increase the local production to meet up with demand.

We shall get there.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by intruder15(m): 8:22am On Jan 07, 2017
repogirl:
As far as demand outweighs supply, the prices will keep climbing by when it's overly available, the prices crash. Simple economics.

Tell Buhari to stop making things scarce.

we all know the concept of demand and supply. but yet it's not mandatory for price of a commodity to go up when demand is high...
an instance..
when Lagos state government started selling the state rice (lake rice) , the crowd of people trooping in to buy was outrageous. some, will come as early as 5.a.m so they can purchase theirs on time still yet d price of d commodity didn't go up even when it's obvious d demand for rice was times 100 d supply.
now u will be tempted to say it's a government business that's y... now lemme give u another instance.
after post ume some years back at delsu Abraka campus, d population of jambites going back to their respective homes was more Dan the transport buses available. most transport company hiked their fares because of that principle u stated up there. yet agofure motors maintained their normal prices...
the lesson I learnt from that experience was that Atimes u don't have to follow d crowd and do what they are doing because it's majority...
my opinion....
provided d cost price of a commodity hasn't increased, d selling price shouldn't.
God bless agofure motors...

1 Like

Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by baybeeboi: 8:47am On Jan 07, 2017
Blue3k:

To increase domestic GDP and policy of diversification of economy. Can't say much for consumers right now.
so who will opt for a locally made rice when its of the same price with foreign?

that will be a foolish idea by the government
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Themandator: 9:06am On Jan 07, 2017
Ak47young:
BEWARE any information would really help

Please tell me more ...how did they carry out the scam?
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:52am On Jan 07, 2017
okonja:

Hope you read well and see that it is 100KG and not the usual 50KG undecided
The key word here is that the price is on the increase
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by smirn(m): 11:10am On Jan 07, 2017
BerryBlaster:

Factor in all the cost tied to rice importation, production, transport, shipping, duty payment and profit margin for the thailand coy. A rice farmer in nigeria should have discounted about 60% of this cost. So why will the price difference be so meagre?
Didn't you read the post? It was due to high demand for the locally grown rice. Well if 100kg is sold at that rate I don't see anything bad with it, my only concern is the source of this news which I know is not true. Then if the imported rice seems cheaper, people can go for it, at least we now have options, simple. Nigerians and rice self!
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by smirn(m): 11:18am On Jan 07, 2017
Nbote:
Most of U screaming GDP, are u sure u have any idea what it means with regards to dis topic or u jus think it's a fancy word? U think producing rice dat is selling at outrageous rates to consumers who earn peanuts is boosting ur GDP!! Damn.. If d locally produced rice sells at roughly d same price as d imported ones who do u think would go for d local ones? From d report u can see even d sellers are complaining because dey can't sell it. It's penny wise pounds foolish.
From which post are u talking about? Abi u dey read upside down? Man, if you can't buy rice, go a grow rice for ur self, if u can't, then stop eating rice. Lazy Nigerians.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Nbote(m): 11:31am On Jan 07, 2017
smirn:

From which post are u talking about? Abi u dey read upside down? Man, if you can't buy rice, go a grow rice for ur self, if u can't, then stop eating rice. Lazy Nigerians.

Where dis one dey com from? Abi u left ur sense with last year ni? If U can't have sense my broda there's no where u can buy it ooo. Take ur tym and find someone to read d post slowly for u again...
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by magoo10(m): 12:17pm On Jan 07, 2017
Naija we hail thee!!
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Ngokafor(f): 3:32pm On Jan 07, 2017
okonja:

Hope you read well and see that it is 100KG and not the usual 50KG undecided

...If a 100kg bag is sold between 29,000 and 36,000 as stipulated by the op,then thats means a 50kg bag goes for between 14,500 and 18,000....way higher than 9,000 we bought a 50kg before this joke of a president called buhari came on board last year...simple arithmetic and logic.

...Therefore the person you quoted is very correct with his comments.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by Ngokafor(f): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2017
grandstar:
Why won't the price be high? The country has no comparative advantage in rice production.

Only 3 countries have comparative advantage and they are India, Vietnam and Thailand and that's because they have massive flood plains that make rice production very productive.

What the country has comparative advantage in is cocoa, cassava, I cashew, I millet, I sorghum etc.

If cassava alone was fully developed the country will earn over '$10 billion from its exports and derivatives alone which will easily offset the amount used to import food. It would be a win win.

Instead of developing what you're good at, you focus resources on what you suck at. Countries shine when they focus on what they excel in.

...Absolutely correct.
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by bakila: 4:28pm On Jan 10, 2017
grandstar:
Why won't the price be high? The country has no comparative advantage in rice production.

Only 3 countries have comparative advantage and they are India, Vietnam and Thailand and that's because they have massive flood plains that make rice production very productive.

What the country has comparative advantage in is cocoa, cassava, I cashew, I millet, I sorghum etc.

If cassava alone was fully developed the country will earn over '$10 billion from its exports and derivatives alone which will easily offset the amount used to import food. It would be a win win.

Instead of developing what you're good at, you focus resources on what you suck at. Countries shine when they focus on what they excel in.
Do you know the extent of Nigeria's flood plains??
Re: Jigawa: Local Rice Price Up By 20% by grandstar(m): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
bakila:

Do you know the extent of Nigeria's flood plains??

We are not talking of those kind of plains. These are wet plains suited for growing paddy rice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Businessman Bags Two Years For Issuance Of Dud Cheque / Currency Redesign, 43 Items, Naira Float… Major Policies Of CBN In 2023 / Five Banks Dominate Cbn’s $1.1b Forex Disbursements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.