Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg (1021 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: How Dare You Tell How Long We Stay In Church / "Stop Complaining" - Pastor Adeboye Tells Nigerians / "FG Is Increasingly Meddling In Church Affairs" - Pastor Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by PMBNG(m): 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2017
THE General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God Worldwide, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has warned the Federal Government on meddling in church matters.

This was just as the renowned cleric advised the members of the church to register as card-carrying members of political parties.

Speaking at the 2017 Ministers’ Annual Thanksgiving on Saturday at the Redemption Camp, Km 46, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Mowe, Ogun State, Adeboye expressed worries over deliberate anti-Christian laws being churned out by the Federal Government to interfere in church affairs.

“The government has been showing increasing interest in church affairs. Unfortunately, for us in RCCG, it might not be very helpful,” Adeboye said.

He further accused the government of not allowing the church (RCCG) to continue with its innovative lifetime 100 per cent salaries to its pensioners.

He said: “For example, when I decided on what will be the pension of our pastors, what I decided is not done anywhere in the world. That somebody will retire and continue to earn full salaries all his lifetime.

“This, I started, but government stepped in and made a law that we should be contributing to pension fund.

“We have to obey and we started doing that. The result is that pastors don’t get as much as they were getting under our own previous arrangement. But what can we do? We have to obey the law.”

Speaking further, Adeboye disclosed that other fresh laws had been enacted by the government to ruffle the feathers of the church in the country, with some particularly targeted at the RCCG.

According to him: “Now there are fresh laws. We have a rough idea of what the law is about.

“Some people believe that RCCG is becoming too influential and we’re going to be more influential. When you get home, tell members to join a political party.

“Join a party and become a card-carrying member of any party. Just join any party. We shall decide issues right from the ward level.

“Enrol in any party of your choice and have a card.

“When holding meetings at ward level to choose delegates, be there.

“One Muslim in Ibadan said years ago that he didn’t know what’s wrong with Christians; that we help them to occupy political positions and refuse to capitalise on our population. That’s going to change from now.”

On the tenure of General Overseers of religious bodies in the country, Pastor Adeboye disclosed that in the “new law that has been announced, they said that nobody can be overseer for more than a certain number of years.

“And according to that law, people like me, Bishop David Oyedepo, Pastor W. F. Kumuyi, Bishop Mike Okonkwo, we are already gone.”

Adeboye, thereafter presented Pastor Joseph O. Obayemi as the new General Overseer of RCCG (Nigeria), now designated as National Overseer; Pastor Johnson Odesola as Secretary; and Pastor Adeyokunnu as Treasurer.

Pastors Obayemi and Odesola were former Special Assistant to the General Overseer on Finance and Special Assistant on Administration and Personnel respectively.

Speaking further on the new law, Adeboye, while presenting the new appointees, said: “They also said we must have a secretary; they said we must have a treasurer too. So, I present to you Pastor Obayemi, Pastor Odesola and Pastor Adeyokunnu.

“As God will have it, the people have been prepared for the jobs for years. For instance, Pastor Obayemi has been in charge of the salary review committee for years and inland missions.‎

“He’s been our representative at the Christian Association of Nigeria for years, so he’ll be doing what he’s been doing.”

Adeboye, who did not specifically announce his new position, said he has no problem performing his God-given role.

He said: “About me, no problem. RCCG is in 192 nations of the world and the Overseer in Nigeria will not drive me out of the camp.

“He won’t stop me from doing the Holy Ghost Services and he won’t stop me from visiting you.”

Adeboye joined RCCG in 1973 and was appointed the General Overseer in 1981 after the demise of Ondo State-born founder of the church, Reverend Josiah Akindayomi.

Source: http://www.socialtimesng.com/2017/01/stop-meddling-church-affairs-adeboye-fg/

Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by sarrki(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2017
We all operate under the constitution of federal republic
Of Nigeria.

Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by eshietIntrepid(m): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2017
And the church should also stop involving in politics, policians should stop coming to our camp and clime the altar of God to tell lies.
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by ammyluv2002(f): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2017
Very true Sir!
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by omogin(f): 3:18pm On Jan 08, 2017
Nigeria cannot I repeat cannot be islamised. Buhari is a goner
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by ammyluv2002(f): 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2017
eshietIntrepid:
And the church should also stop involving in politics, policians should stop coming to our camp and clime the altar of God to tell lies.
You're right, but the church is for everyone. Don't forget God used the prophets of old to speak to the leaders like David etc just that I don't understand some of the church leaders these days.
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by menxer: 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2017
Still trying to find the 4th angle of the triangle.
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by greatgod2012(f): 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2017
Hmmmm

Should this outburst by Baba Adeboye be seen as not being comfortable with the new law by the FG

I really don't understand!
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by greatgod2012(f): 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2017
ammyluv2002:
You're right, just that I don't understand some of the church leaders these days.

This is exactly the concern of so many. Religion in Nigeria have been mixed with politics. Even in the church, the type of Nigeria politics is what is being practiced by many church leaders.

Anyway.........
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by ammyluv2002(f): 3:31pm On Jan 08, 2017
greatgod2012:

This is exactly the concern of so many. Religion in Nigeria have been mixed with politics. Even in the church, the type of Nigeria is what is being practiced by many church leaders.

Anyway.........
Very true
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by felixomor: 3:41pm On Jan 08, 2017
Its as though our lawmakers are no longer reading the laws they pass. Hmmmmm

Well, God has a purpose for everything.
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 08, 2017
eshietIntrepid:
Help me tell him. The same church that had undeserved benefits from past administrations is getting grumpy because government wants to protect its citizens. RCCG benefited from import duty waivers and government patronage from successive administrations without paying taxes
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2017
greatgod2012:
Hmmmm

Should this outburst by Baba Adeboye be seen as not being comfortable with the new law by the FG

I really don't understand!
The present President doesn't come to kneel before him and get his head washed in olive oil. Adeboye is playing politics with religion. He has told his adherents that government is meddlesome. He said his Muslim friend told him about Christians not using their population to put their chosen people in government. He has also asked his people to join parties and seize the machinery of governance from the ward level. Summary is that he's still suffering from the hangover of Jonathan administration
Re: Stop Meddling In Church affairs, Adeboye Tells fg by greatgod2012(f): 4:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
kITATITA:

The present President doesn't come to kneel before him and get his head washed in olive oil. Adeboye is playing politics with religion. He has told his adherents that government is meddlesome. He said his Muslim friend told him about Christians not using their population to put their chosen people in government. He has also asked his people to join parties and seize the machinery of governance from the ward level. Summary is that he's still suffering from the hangover of Jonathan administration

I'm indifferent about thatt your last statement but for baba Adeboye to be worried about Christians using their population to put their chosen ones in power and then calling on all his members to join political parties, become card-carrying members, become delegates, contest for political offices, etc.....shows that he isn't comfortable with the new law and that he was forced by law to appoint a successor.

I really don't understand his outburst! A position he has been enjoying since 1981! Haba! What's it with Africans and power!

And he still retain G.O worldwide for himself o, after all, Nigeria law no reach other countries.

Issokay!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Astra Projection And The Seven Chakras / Rccg Sunday School Lesson 20 January 14, 2018 : Topic – Integrity Part 1 / Did You Know: The History Of Christianity Can Be Traced To Only Roman Catholic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.