Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? (911 Views)

Meet The Nigerian Woman Who Is Building The "Fashion Amazon" Of Africa / How Much Is Nigeria Fashion Industry Worth / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by bfashion(f): 4:44pm On Nov 23, 2009
I want to know if you have to go to university to get a good career in the fashion industry because i might not be able to afford to go to university. i was hoping to study fashion design. Can anyone tell me what options i would have?
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by ayettymama(f): 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2010
well it depends

there are many aspects to fashion

ur best bet is to go to uni

if not just look for jobs with the big companies

to gain experience

as long as ur good at what u do sha
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by madlady(f): 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2010
@Poster, @ayettymama really is correct, I did Visual Merchandising for some years, left due to ill health.

I would find it hard to get back into the industry now without a degree.

If it's at all possible get a degree even if it's after a few years of working. Good luck smiley
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by ayettymama(f): 3:06pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^ vis merch??

hw was it??

was it a degree?? wow!

i dreading the design of my store

lemme post some ideas i have

tell me what u think
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by madlady(f): 3:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^ Held that post back in the days when you did not need a degree.

Worked mainly in the Department Stores, would have to do some real groveling if I wanted to go back.

Doing completely different thing now.

SHOW ME would really like to see gosh!!!!!
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 26, 2010
bfashion:

I want to know if you have to go to university to get a good career in the fashion industry because i might not be able to afford to go to university. i was hoping to study fashion design. Can anyone tell me what options i would have?

If you dont mind me asking where are you currently located/living? I can pretty much give you a more detailed peice of advice on the financial part depending on where you live wink I am also a fashionista and part time seamstress. Here in the states the best schools are expensive and require relocation to more populated states/cities. Honestly great fashion schools are only good at giving you a good look as far as your resume if you want to work for an established designer/company. However all schools start off with the basics: design, marketing, merchandising etc. You have have to be TOP OF THE LINE in your craft because the fashion world is HIGHLY competative!!!
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 27, 2010
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by ayettymama(f): 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=382198.msg5323833#msg5323833

madlady my post was in the business section

just images from topshop and river island

im still tryna find out how i can get neon lights back hme

but if u have better styles lemme see pls
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by madlady(f): 9:08pm On Feb 28, 2010
^I will post on your thread kiss

chaircover:

No knowledge is wasted. If you do have an oppourtunity to to to uni. I will say go for it

This is so true, you will be able to take your degree to most fields.
Re: Do You Have To Go To University To Get A Good Career In The Fashion Industry? by bluespice(f): 6:47pm On Mar 01, 2010
absolutely!
the fashion industry is very competitive and if you wanna be a designer, u definitely have to go to school to learn the rudiments of the trade

(1) (Reply)

Looking For A Good Hair Braider In London! / New Models Wanted / Shey Selling Imported Wears Is Not Illegal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.