Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. (2779 Views)

Time To Beg Okonjo-iweala To Come Back - Femi Aribisala / No Gains For Almajiri Schools’ Graduates – Fashola / If I Hated The North, I Wouldn’t Have Built Almajiri Schools - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by SapeleGuy: 11:27pm On Nov 23, 2009
10m Kids Beg In The North – Minister

Written by Ali Alkali, Kaduna
Sunday, 22 November 2009 19:14

Minister of State for Education,Hajiya Aishatu Jibrin Dukku, at the weekend took a swipe at the educational backwardness in the north, estimating the number of child beggars in the region (almajirai) at more than 10 million.

“We are yet to finish our compilation, but at the moment we have over ten million child beggars roaming our streets, and that’s a conservative estimate,” she said.

She also decried the situation whereby wealthy northerners are not emulating their southern counterparts in investing heavily in education.

Speaking on a live phone-in Hausa programme, ‘Hannu Da Yawa’ on Radio Nigeria, Kaduna, on Saturday, the minister said, “It is very alarming that parents are becoming so insensitive to the welfare of their children that they dispatch them to unknown places to take care of themselves.

"They just send them away without making any arrangement for their feeding, medical care, shelter and other necessities. "Most of these children, because of the harsh realities they found themselves in, end up becoming juvenile delinquents and, subsequently, adult criminals.”

Dukku expressed sadness that such parents are tarnishing the image of Islam and the North. “It is very sad that these kind of negative things are always attributed to us, and are gradually becoming our identity," she said. "All hands must be on deck to clean this mess. States and local governments, with the help of the Federal Government, must bring all the stakeholders together – the parents, the Malams and community leaders – to find a way to stop this show of shame.”

She, however, singled out for praise the Kano State’s Agency for Societal Reorientation, a.k.a. A Daidaita Sahu, for its efforts in curbing the menace of child begging. “What Kano State is doing through A Daidaita Sahu is very commendable. Other states should emulate it. I know that some states are helping the Malams with food and other little incentives, but that’s not enough. We must tackle the problem from the roots.”

Dukku revealed that the Federal Ministry of Education is currently working out a blueprint on this issue, to be implemented through Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).

“But I want to assure everybody that we are not going to ban or take over the traditional Islamic schools, known as Makarantun Allo," she said. "We are just going to instill sanity and responsibility into the system. We will embark on a mass campaign to make the Malams understand that nobody is trying to stop the pursuit of religious education; but there are proper ways to do it. It is believed that when a parent curses a child something bad must happen to that child, and he will never end well in life. I want to tell these irresponsible parents, who fail to take the responsibility of bring up their children properly, that in this case it is the other way round. That is to say, if the children curse them, I am sure God will answer their prayers.”

On girl-child education, the minister called on parents who withdrew their children from school for marriage to let them continue with their education.

She said, “I am not an advocate of delayed marriage. It is in our culture and religion to marry off girls when they reach puberty. You cannot stop people from doing that. The only thing we want parents to do is to request and have an agreement with the prospective husbands to let the girls continue and finish their education after the wedding. This method is working; and many married girls are now attending school.

"So, I am appealing to those husbands who removed their young wives from schools to please allow them go back and finish. It is for the good of the entire family to have an educated wife and mother.”

Commenting on the educational backwardness of the North, the minister lamented that despite the numerous organisations and wealthy people the region has, there are only two private universities in the region.

"The heart of any responsible Northerner will bleed if we count the number of private universities in the South," Dukku said. "For example, there is one state that has six private universities. How can we catch up with this kind of laxity?” She wondered why Northerners are so myopic that they cannot see the significance of education in nation-building and individual self-actualisation.

She said, “I know one man in the South who spent 500 million naira to build and equip a private university for his community.

When the university was opened and was about to commence academic sessions, he deposited another 500 million naira into the university’s account and went to court and signed an affidavit that he didn’t want a kobo from whatever the university would generate in future from its programmes; all its earnings should be re-invested into the development of the institution. "Why can’t our people in the North emulate such noble gesture?”

http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/index.php/news/cover-stories/8792-10m-kids-beg-in-the-north--minister
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by SapeleGuy: 11:30pm On Nov 23, 2009
Nigeria can not afford to fail a whole generation in this manner - something needs to be done.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by sjeezy8: 11:35pm On Nov 23, 2009
The Elite in the North are NOT a voice for their people and they arent working for their peoples interest. truth be told

The average condition of a northerner is 100xs harder then that of a southerner by FAR.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by SapeleGuy: 11:44pm On Nov 23, 2009
Their govt doesn't spend the money on education, health or projects to employ people or reclaim the desert, what the bloody hell do they do with their federal allocation?
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by blackspade(m): 11:48pm On Nov 23, 2009
This is just a social time bomb waiting to explode. undecided

1 Like

Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by WilyWily: 1:01am On Nov 24, 2009
This is very good for Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani North,
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by PeeDaVinci: 1:09am On Nov 24, 2009
the truth is that there are loads of almajiri's everywhere in the north, but i bet they are not anyway up to 10 million, this is just another bogus claim to steal some money by our politician!!!!

morealso, i think we really need to define who is an almajiri , is he an a < 11 years old roaming the street, or a <18 years unemployed roamin the street
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 3:31am On Nov 24, 2009
This can't be true. 10 million is a full 7% of our population! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by bawomolo(m): 4:24am On Nov 24, 2009
WilyWily:

you do know an impoverished north means increased immigration to the south right?
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by AloyEmeka6: 4:49am On Nov 24, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Their govt doesn't spend the money on education, health or projects to employ people or reclaim the desert, what the bloody hell do they do with their federal allocation?

Does your own southern government spend money on the things you mentioned above?
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 5:17am On Nov 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Does your own southern government spend money on the things you mentioned above?

What a question! Who doesn't spend on health or employment. The only thing state govts can't reasonably do, is reclaim the desert.

But then, why are ND people regularly asked why their govs can't clear up oil spills? embarassed
If Nigerians are willing to stretch credulity in the ND, they must do it up North as well. It is a democracy.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by sjeezy8: 5:20am On Nov 24, 2009
Beaf:

What a question! Why are ND people regularly asked why their govs can't clear up oil spills? embarassed
If Nigerians are willing to stretch credulity in the ND, they must do it up North as well. It is a democracy.

I think you deserve an award because the has to be the most reasonable thing youve said within your 3000+ post

Congrats!!!!
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 5:21am On Nov 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

I think you deserve an award because the has to be the most reasonable thing youve said within your 3000+ post

Congrats!!!!

Stop following me around like an idiot. If I wanted a puppy, I would buy one.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by sjeezy8: 5:24am On Nov 24, 2009
whos following you ode boy?

back to post - yes ohhh the northerners are in an even worse condition then southerners but its easier to blame things on regions/tribes.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by AloyEmeka6: 7:46am On Nov 24, 2009
Beaf:

What a question! Who doesn't spend on health or employment. The only thing state govts can't reasonably do, is reclaim the desert.

But then, why are ND people regularly asked why their govs can't clear up oil spills? embarassed

How did you determine that your southern government spends more in health and education than the northern government?. As far as I'm concerned, the Nigerian government is moot and citizens develop themselves. The problem with the north is social structure and not welfare aid from government.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 7:53am On Nov 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How did you determine that your southern government spends more in health and education than the northern government?. As far as I'm concerned, the Nigerian government is moot and citizens develop themselves. The problem with the north is social structure and not welfare aid from government.

My state (Delta) happens to have the Highest Quality of Life Index in Nigeria, but we are regularly asked why our governors are failing or why we aren't catching the FG's pet (Ibori). So the same goes to the North, let their population (or just the suffering almajiri's) catch their governors too.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander, so the quote below ticks all democratic boxes;

SapeleGuy:

Their govt doesn't spend the money on education, health or projects to employ people or reclaim the desert, [size=14pt]what the bloody hell do they do with their federal allocation? [/size]
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by texazzpete(m): 8:10am On Nov 24, 2009
Beaf:

My state (Delta) happens to have the Highest Quality of Life Index in Nigeria, but we are regularly asked why our governors are failing or why we aren't catching the FG's pet (Ibori). So the same goes to the North, let their population (or just the suffering almajiri's) catch their governors too.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander, so the quote below ticks all democratic boxes;

Yes, but the Northern states don't go complaining at every opportunity about the teeming number of almajiris. And of the monthly allocation to the Northern states, no penny is voted towards solving the almajiri problem.

WilyWily:

So it's all good for you to treat the Hausa/fulani with disdain, but when they extend the same to you it becomes oppression abi?
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2009
texazzpete:

Yes, but the Northern states don't go complaining at every opportunity about the teeming number of almajiris. And of the monthly allocation to the Northern states, no penny is voted towards solving the almajiri problem.

Oh, so as soon as you complain at every opportunity, others gain the right to stretch credulity? shocked

The almajiri problem is very serious, but I have learnt brand new and incredible ways to deal with such things. Let them catch their governors, just the same way the Ekiti man should from now on, catch any naked politician; it is a democracy.

Maybe after every state has answered its own [i]name [/i]once or twice, we will learn that the measure should be equal. Let them hold their governors responsible.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 24, 2009
I am happy this is coming out because people should know that curroption and bad leadership is not an advantage to the North. Bad leaders are selfish human beings, they do not care about tribe, region or religion just their curropt selves
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by SapeleGuy: 9:04am On Nov 24, 2009
It is amazing how 'detribalised nigerians' like Dimeji Bankole will become deaf, dumb and blind on this particular issue.

Aisha2- This Almajiri phenomenom should be declared a state of emergency, can you imagine what the numbers will be like in 10 years time. People need to speak out.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Kx: 9:15am On Nov 24, 2009
Finally one of thier own is telling them the truth.

Poor edu background yet by quota system and other ojoro means,they are
occupying all the top positions mearnt for educated people.
Little wonder why 9ja is retroprogressing.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by FrankC3: 9:32am On Nov 24, 2009
But the lady is not saying that the number is increasing when compared to the number in the last ten years. She is just giving the estimated number as of now, and for those talking about time bomb, it has always been there. Those are boko haram recruits. They are the ones that always unleash terror on innocent Igbo traders.

Those guys are there to serve some strategic interest like the enforcements of the defined boundry for the infidels and such craps. It is actually strategic to the cabal interest in the north and that lady stand to lose her job for 'sabotaging' the elites.

Now, it is clear that democracy (how ever skewed or upright it is being practiced) will not favor the north at the long run. The indicators are every where and there is nothing they can do about it.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 24, 2009
SapeleGuy:

It is amazing how 'detribalised nigerians' like Dimeji Bankole will become deaf, dumb and blind on this particular issue.

Aisha2- This Almajiri phenomenom should be declared a state of emergency, can you imagine what the numbers will be like in 10 years time. People need to speak out.

I have been shouting this oh every where i go an speak, there are over 17.5 million children without access to education in Nigeria today. We currently have just 2 million youths out of school and see kidnapping, imagine what will happen with 17. 5 miilion. It is a state of emergency. Thank God The Minister herself is saying this.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by oko1: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2009
it is very heartbreaking to see such a negative trend from north after 40years of controlling NIGERIA. I am very sorry for those that make statements insinuating that criminality, thuggery in government, indiscipline and corruption is peculiar to one tribe. What is happening today was imported by Hausa /Yoruba
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by smooooooth: 10:27am On Nov 24, 2009
i did my service in the north, yobe to be precise, and it was disheartening to see those kids walking around day to night with no hope. its such a big problem. they need help, when u see them walking hopelessly with just the plate that's the only inheritance they get from their parents, u are moved to tears. alot of work needs to be done to correct this problem, alot of financial commitment on the part of govt, as well as personnel to reorient this people, especially the parents that keeps producing this kids in the midst of nothing. and there will be alot of willingness on the part of the people to allow the transformation.

in all this the northern Elites are to blame, they are not carrying their people along, they just leaving for themselves and their families. so sad.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by citizenY(m): 10:30am On Nov 24, 2009
Our servant leader/governor/ chairman of governors forum happens to be around.
what is his score card. What is the governors forum doing?

It is a challenge to northern elite.  There is no fool who is in position today that does
not have rural roots and by projection direct filial relationship with these unfortunate
kids. Where is our conscience?
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by WilyWily: 11:08am On Nov 24, 2009
texazzpete:

So it's all good for you to treat the Hausa/fulani with disdain, but when they extend the same to you it becomes oppression abi?
I dIdn't treat any Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani man with disdain, Almajiri is in them, it's their Culture, that's their way of life.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by oko1: 11:18am On Nov 24, 2009
WilyWily:

I dIdn't treat any Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani man with disdain, Almajiri is in them, it's their Culture, that's their way of life.

am with you .
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by bibiking1(m): 11:20am On Nov 24, 2009
aisha2:

I have been shouting this oh every where i go an speak, there are over 17.5 million children without access to education in Nigeria today. We currently have just 2 million youths out of school and see kidnapping, imagine what will happen with 17. 5 miilion. It is a state of emergency. Thank God The Minister herself is saying this.
Aisha, sayings are not an exact determinant of future actions in this country. You know tis as much as i do!
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by Beaf: 11:27am On Nov 24, 2009
The North is a catastrophe waiting to happen. The almajiri issue is Nigeria's greatest security threat.

When you visit the North, you really wonder what the lords and masters of these innocent souls achieved in their 40 years in power. It isn't just the uneducated almajiri's, it is destituition, the the abysmal quality of life. If you visit one of the hamlets that sort of pop up from the sorrounding desert / savanah as you drive by (Bauchi area), the air is always filled with a very strong faecal stench, there is so much tangible squalor and poverty; you wonder how the inhabitants could possibly survive till old age. It really is heart wrenching, the closest I have come such a feeling down south was when I found myself on a soul destroying tour of Ijora Badia (Lagos). The North has thousands of Ijora Badia's, only they are on dry land.

. . .after their own leaders have ruled this country for 40 years. But lets forget about their "leaders", something urgent needs to be done to improve and save lives.

Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by SapeleGuy: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2009
Beaf:

. . .after their own leaders have ruled this country for 40 years. But lets forget about their "leaders", something urgent needs to be done to improve and save lives.

Quite correct. But where are those critical friends who are always on hand to offer remedies, even before you have finished spelling the B in Biafra or N in Niger Delta issues.
Conspicuous by their absence.
Re: Almajiri - 10 Million Kids Beg In The North. by back2back(f): 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2009
The North is a catastrphe waiting to happen. The almajiri issue is Nigeria's greatest security threat.

Wrong. Nigeria is a catastrophe!

Imagine 5million of these suddenly in Lagos or Enugu?

They will do havoc and destroy lives; remember they have nothing to loose.

As long as they are NIGERIANS, it is in all our interests to get this FIX quickly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Independent Bomb Blast / APC Accuses Gov. Peter Obi Of Playing Politics With Nigeria’s Unity / Aerotropolis Will Generate N100 Billion Annually – Stella Oduah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.