Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,009 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces (7595 Views)

How Many Faces Do You Wear On Campus? / See Why Every Writer Should Publish Online In Nigeria / 10 Sites Every Writer Must Sell His Book On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 5:41pm On Jan 11, 2017
As long as you write; whether a novel, books or even just an article, there are 5 common hurdles every writer faces. Most of the time, new breeds often get discouraged when they come in contact with such hurdle. But the already established writers see it as something common. For the sake of our upcoming writers, I will be listing and explaining about the 5 common hurdles you must likely face as a writer.

Writer’s Block: If at a point when writing, you feel like someone just opened your head and took away all valuable information as regards to what you are writing, don’t be scared, it is a normal occurrence called writer’s block. Writer’s Block doesn’t announce its coming. It comes when it feels like a most time stays there for a lengthy period of time. It is considered dangerous because if not handled properly, could lead to lack of motivation. This in turn will lead to you abandoning whatever writing project you were handling before “Writer’s Block” came knocking. Here are some tips to handle it:

Seek Inspiration from anywhere: Music, Videos, whatever you think would get you back in the mood.

Relax and Read something similar to what you are writing

Take some time off your writing project(not for long)

Picture credit https:///a4q1EK

Great Heading/Topic: This hurdle is constant and common especially among article writers and novelists. We all know that the key to producing a good content lies on your ability to create a captivating headline. Most times I spend about 1 hour thinking and writing down various topic I believe would be great. But guess what? I end up scrapping them all. So when next you want to dump a project because you can’t find a good topic for it, I advise you to seek help from a friend. When you have like 3 – 5 ideas coming in, you can be able to select and create a super headline with ease.

Inferiority Complex: Okay; let’s go this way. You are about finishing up your “super novel” and unfortunately someone hands you over a copy of a great Author’s story. You have a good read and out of anger, you go back and tear up your work. Why? Because you feel yours isn’t good enough. Once in a while it happens, but it shouldn’t get to you. The secret to becoming a great writer lies in your ability to keep reading and writing (Like I explained at http://topwritersden.com/how-to-become-a-better-writer/). These common hurdles every writer face are only there to make you a better and stronger writer.

Criticism: As a writer, this is a hurdle you will have to keep crossing if ever you wish to be successful. After taking a whole lot of time to create a super article or novel, someone ends up calling it trash. A lot of writers have undergone the same treatment and came out successful. So why should you give up? Simply suck up the criticism and work on places that need improvement. At the end you come out a better and more sophisticated writer.

Usage of Words: You believe you have abused a particular style of writing or you really can’t find a way to express yourself differently again. You become so pissed and dump the manuscript or draft somewhere on your computer. The fact remains that every writer has a particular word that is often abused. The moment you realize that, it wouldn’t be much of a problem again as it makes you to look for ways to improve. Take out time to search for new words with the dictionary and you will be just fine.

These are the 5 common hurdles I believe every writer faces. The earlier you know it is common among every one of us, the better you find ways to overcome them.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by amicable212(f): 7:58pm On Jan 11, 2017
nice one op
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 9:57pm On Jan 11, 2017
amicable212:
nice one op

Thanks dearie. You write?
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by amicable212(f): 8:51am On Jan 12, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

Thanks dearie. You write?
yes
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 12:11pm On Jan 12, 2017
lalasticlala
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by EmperorLee(m): 1:44pm On Jan 12, 2017
Correct Ma Nigga

Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by josephine123: 1:44pm On Jan 12, 2017
nice
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by firstclassmumu: 1:45pm On Jan 12, 2017
Thank God o that idiot lagos boy wey dey chain girls go club police don arrest am
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by lawrenzi(m): 1:48pm On Jan 12, 2017
ok

Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 12, 2017
Laziness : Sometimes you have a really great story idea and build the characters in your imaination and shii.... But to put it down is always too stressful cry
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by ritababe(f): 1:51pm On Jan 12, 2017
nice one baba
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by Goziemiguel(m): 1:51pm On Jan 12, 2017
So true
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by slap1(m): 1:52pm On Jan 12, 2017
Your posts about writing are all on point. Keep it up.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by oluwafemi1993: 1:58pm On Jan 12, 2017
As long as you write; whether a novel, books or even just an article, there are 5 common hurdles every writer faces. Most of the time, new breeds often get discouraged when they come in contact with such hurdle. But the already established writers see it as something common. For the sake of our upcoming writers, I will be listing and explaining about the 5 common hurdles you must likely face as a writer.

Writer’s Block: If at a point when writing, you feel like someone just opened your head and took away all valuable information as regards to what you are writing, don’t be scared, it is a normal occurrence called writer’s block. Writer’s Block doesn’t announce its coming. It comes when it feels like a most time stays there for a lengthy period of time. It is considered dangerous because if not handled properly, could lead to lack of motivation. This in turn will lead to you abandoning whatever writing project you were handling before “Writer’s Block” came knocking. Here are some tips to handle it:

Seek Inspiration from anywhere: Music, Videos, whatever you think would get you back in the mood.

Relax and Read something similar to what you are writing

Take some time off your writing project(not for long)

Picture credit https:///a4q1EK

Great Heading/Topic: This hurdle is constant and common especially among article writers and novelists. We all know that the key to producing a good content lies on your ability to create a captivating headline. Most times I spend about 1 hour thinking and writing down various topic I believe would be great. But guess what? I end up scrapping them all. So when next you want to dump a project because you can’t find a good topic for it, I advise you to seek help from a friend. When you have like 3 – 5 ideas coming in, you can be able to select and create a super headline with ease.

Inferiority Complex: Okay; let’s go this way. You are about finishing up your “super novel” and unfortunately someone hands you over a copy of a great Author’s story. You have a good read and out of anger, you go back and tear up your work. Why? Because you feel yours isn’t good enough. Once in a while it happens, but it shouldn’t get to you. The secret to becoming a great writer lies in your ability to keep reading and writing (Like I explained at http://topwritersden.com/how-to-become-a-better-writer/). These common hurdles every writer face are only there to make you a better and stronger writer.

Criticism: As a writer, this is a hurdle you will have to keep crossing if ever you wish to be successful. After taking a whole lot of time to create a super article or novel, someone ends up calling it trash. A lot of writers have undergone the same treatment and came out successful. So why should you give up? Simply suck up the criticism and work on places that need improvement. At the end you come out a better and more sophisticated writer.

Usage of Words: You believe you have abused a particular style of writing or you really can’t find a way to express yourself differently again. You become so pissed and dump the manuscript or draft somewhere on your computer. The fact remains that every writer has a particular word that is often abused. The moment you realize that, it wouldn’t be much of a problem again as it makes you to look for ways to improve. Take out time to search for new words with the dictionary and you will be just fine.

These are the 5 common hurdles I believe every writer faces. The earlier you know it is common among every one of us, the better you find ways to overcome them.
[/quote]
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by importexpert(m): 2:02pm On Jan 12, 2017
nice write up bro. more grease to your elbow.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 2:07pm On Jan 12, 2017
slap1:
Your posts about writing are all on point. Keep it up.

Thanks Bro smiley
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 2:07pm On Jan 12, 2017
importexpert:
nice write up bro. more grease to your elbow.

Twale Sir. Our seasoned affiliate marketer smiley
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by oluwafemi1993: 2:11pm On Jan 12, 2017
Please can someone enlighten me on how to quote a post on this forum

Sorry I am new on this
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by samadream(m): 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
so useful and timely for me your valuable tips,allah bless you for us who appreciate time you spent on it
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2017
oluwafemi1993:
Please can someone enlighten me on how to quote a post on this forum

Sorry I am new on this

You will see Quote. Click on it and start typing.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by takenadoh: 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2017
those that gave a bleep really didn't care to give a bleep about this post.

[url]thenaijalisting..com[/url]
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by eazydest: 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2017
Nice one bro. I'm an establish movie writer, and I tell u what, I've encountered all the points u mentioned.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by labakeJ(f): 2:54pm On Jan 12, 2017
SirWere:
Laziness : Sometimes you have a really great story idea and build the characters in your imaination and shii.... But to put it down is always too stressful cry
embarassed As in

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by favcom(m): 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2017
Really nice and educative post.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by elvision1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 12, 2017
So this bush boy can write? Cool!
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 3:09pm On Jan 12, 2017
labakeJ:
embarassed As in

lazy lazy tongue cheesy
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by purityval(m): 3:09pm On Jan 12, 2017
Your head no pass there, e dey there gan gan. Nice piece bro, big ups.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 3:10pm On Jan 12, 2017
elvision1:
So this bush boy can write? Cool!

shocked shocked embarassed
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by Kunlexxxx(m): 3:12pm On Jan 12, 2017
Good post! Inferiority complex is one of my major headache. I'm into poetry. Most times when I write, I usually think it is not good enough. But when I give my work to quality readers, they keep asking if I wrote it myself, like it's too good, but to me, it is never good enough.
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by labakeJ(f): 3:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

lazy lazy tongue cheesy
Lool

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by elvision1(m): 3:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

shocked shocked embarassed

you dey do that face dey form saint now because na you get d topic u no wan Bleep up so you wan keep am professional abi? If to say na another post u for don turn savage now o!
Re: 5 Common Hurdles Every Writer Faces by BiafranBushBoy: 3:14pm On Jan 12, 2017
purityval:
Your head no pass there, e dey there gan gan. Nice piece bro, big ups.

I fit send you pm?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Son Of A God(a Story By A Nairalander) / Freestyling Work / Christmas In The City __ohibenemma.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.