Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies (9610 Views)

Hot Water Bath Or Cold Water Bath? Which One Is Better? / See The ''Strange'' Baby A Young Girl Gave Birth To As Nigerians React. Graphic / Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water [ MUST READ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 10:35am On Jan 12, 2017
I have never really liked cold water. I prefer cold drinks (of course) but my water must be tepid or room temperature before I can drink it.

Recently, when I changed location I began guzzling cold water and to my chagrin, something weird has started happening to my body.

My ankle joints swell each time I take cold water and the pain that comes with it is not funny. For more than a month I didn't make the connection until I complained to my mum and she told me to stop taking anything cold.

I haven't taken cold water in about 5 days now and I can see the difference. My feet doesn't hurt so badly and the swelling has gone down, although the pain comes and goes without warning.

I have been applying Diclomol and Upheat Plus for the pain but the relief is usually temporary, however it is SLOWLY easing.

My question to the doctors and health practitioners is this: why on earth does cold water cause joint pains? I have been hearing of this for a long time and I never believed I will one day be experiencing it.

Are there remedies that will allow me take my beloved cold water without the attendant side effects?
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by hushshinani(m): 10:36am On Jan 12, 2017
k
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 10:37am On Jan 12, 2017
hushshinani:
k
What is 'k'? Are you booking space?

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 11:19am On Jan 12, 2017
Xiadnat, esosa4real, basingstoke, goodheart02, eyingueje, thorpido, Evilbrain and all the doctors on NL, please epp me o.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by thorpido(m): 2:03pm On Jan 12, 2017
The science behind it is that cold generally causes constriction of blood vessels,reduces circulation and slows immune function.When you introduce cold into your body in form of cold drinks,your joint fluid thickness can increase and that can make your joints inflamed and ache.

Ever wonder why the Chinese hardly take cold drinks?Those guys are always taking warm water and herbal drinks.

I take cold drinks though. embarassed

6 Likes

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 12, 2017
Ishilove:
Xiadnat, esosa4real, basingstoke, goodheart02, eyingueje, thorpido, Evilbrain and all the doctors on NL, please epp me o.

Its really similar to why people who who live in colder regions experience worsening joint pain during cold seasons.

It usually affects autoimmune conditions. Its the reason why things like eczema, arthritis worsen during cold weather.

Cold weather cools body temp, deceases blood circulation or blood flow becomes sluggish- this slows down bodys immune clearance and defense- which can then reduce detox of impurities.

How it affects joint pain is not entirely elucidated but can be that cold water constricts your knee blood vessels, reduces blood flow, triggering inflammation of your joint which causes pain.

Also, Google cold agglutinin disease. You may have rheumatoid arthritis or some form of autoimmune joint issues. If thats the case, then yes, warm water usually helps.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2017
Xiadnat:

Its really similar to why people who who live in colder regions experience worsening joint pain during cold seasons.

It usually affects autoimmune conditions. Its the reason why things like eczema, arthritis worsen during cold weather.

Cold weather cools body temp, deceases blood circulation or blood flow becomes sluggish- this slows down bodys immune clearance and defense- which can then reduce detox of impurities.

How it affects joint pain is not entirely elucidated but can be that cold water constricts your knee blood vessels, reduces blood flow, triggering inflammation of your joint which causes pain.

Also, Google cold agglutinin disease. You may have rheumatoid arthritis or some form of autoimmune joint issues. If thats the case, then yes, warm water usually helps.

Thanks for your response, it has been very helpful.

I am waaaayyyy too young to be having any form of arthritis or rheumatoid disease. I am just 21 tongue grin
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2017
Dear ishilove, generally taking cold water is okay to an extent. Especially in the heat of the sun. But when taken to an extreme, you begin to witness all you've complained. In our modern days rarely anyone considers that being cold is a nice experience, but also a deadly one. People subconsciously cringe at the idea of being cold in any way and avoid that unpleasant experience called HEAT. But they don't understand that being cold now and then can actually have highly positive and negative effects on the body and the overall health. Probably, you changed location to a more humid and warm environment hence the high intake of cold water. My simple advice to you is, reduce your intake of anything cold, ranging from ice cream to beverges. From all indication, your body wasn't tuned up to withstand extreme cold consumables or you must have taken it beyond the ordinary. Of course nobody's body was tuned up to withstand excessive cold, especially from the inside. Below is a little info that will make you understand better:

When cold water hits the stomach, the body is forced to use energy in order to warm up that liquid inside your body to match that of the body’s natural temperature. This robs your body of the energy it needs to properly process what you have ingested. Instead of working to extract all the foods nutrients, your digestive system is instead working on regulating the temperature of the cold drink.
Studies also indicate that the problem with cold water is that as the liquid passes through your system, the cool temperature solidifies fats from the foods we’ve eaten and thus the body in turn finds it hard to digests the unwanted fats from our stomach.

Also the body is about 70% fluid, and any fluids taken into the body becomes part of that 70 % . So when excessive cold fluid gets into the body, the blood may be thick , unable to flow properly to the extremities of the body , the hands and feet begin to feel numb and hurt, the toes begin to hurt, the toenails lose their shine and may begin to decay . The heart labours to pump the blood throughout the body, and the lungs fight to keep up. The legs may swell and become dark , when blood cannot be efficiently pumped back up to the heart . Which is an extreme state of what you had experienced.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2017
thorpido:
The science behind it is that cold generally causes constriction of blood vessels,reduces circulation and slows immune function.When you introduce cold into your body in form of cold drinks,your joint fluid thickness can increase and that can make your joints inflamed and ache.

Ever wonder why the Chinese hardly take cold drinks?Those guys are always taking warm water and herbal drinks.

I take cold drinks though. embarassed
Lucky you. My body doesn't agree with cold drinks again cry

So what are your suggestions for my aching feet (usually the back of my ankles)?

cc Xiadnat, goodheart02
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by thorpido(m): 4:51pm On Jan 12, 2017
Ishilove:

So what are your suggestions for my aching feet (usually the back of my ankles)?

cc Xiadnat, goodheart02
Keep warm as much as possible especially this harmattan season.Take hot drinks more.
Also you can rub your ankles with analgesic creams like diclomol and use a pain reliever.
Do any of your parents experience joint related issues?
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2017
thorpido:
Keep warm as much as possible especially this harmattan season.Take hot drinks more.
Also you can rub your ankles with analgesic creams like diclomol and use a pain reliever.
Do any of your parents experience joint related issues?
Thanks.

Yes, my mum. She is experiencing exactly the same thing on her left ankle. The same left ankle I am feeling it the most.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by thorpido(m): 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2017
Ishilove:

Thanks.

Yes, my mum. She is experiencing exactly the same thing on her left ankle. The same left ankle I am feeling it the most.
Seems you are susceptible to having arthritis.

2 Likes

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 5:01pm On Jan 12, 2017
thorpido:
Seems you are susceptible to having arthritis.
But I am too young to have arthritis. Way too young
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by thorpido(m): 5:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
Ishilove:

But I am too young to have arthritis. Way too young
it's not just old people who experience it really.
You can take calcium and fish oil(Cod liver) to renew your joints.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 5:49pm On Jan 12, 2017
thorpido:
it's not just old people who experience it really.
You can take calcium and fish oil(Cod liver) to renew your joints.
Thanks a lot. I will do just that.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 5:01pm On Jan 13, 2017
Ishilove:

cc Xiadnat, goodheart02

Sorry I saw this mention late. Just as thorpido has said, which I agree with him, his suggestion is the solution to your problem now it's still at its non lethal stage. The calcium drugs and cod liver oil will also go a long way to help you. Even if it's arthritis, frequent intake of the above drugs will also reduce the challenges as you grow older.

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 7:25pm On Jan 13, 2017
goodheart02:

Sorry I saw this mention late. Just as thorpido has said, which I agree with him, his suggestion is the solution to your problem now it's still at its non lethal stage. The calcium drugs and cod liver oil will also go a long way to help you. Even if it's arthritis, frequent intake of the above drugs will also reduce the challenges as you grow older.
Thanks so much, Doc. Can you recommend calcium drugs?

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 8:12pm On Jan 13, 2017
Ishilove:

Thanks so much, Doc. Can you recommend calcium drugs?

CAC 1000 will be okay. It is an effervescent drug which has a combination of calcium and vit C. Take it once a day, preferably at nights after meal. Just dissolve in a glass of water and gulp.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 8:14pm On Jan 13, 2017
goodheart02:

CAC 1000 will be okay. It is an effervescent drug which has a combination of calcium and vit C. Take it once a day, preferably at nights after meal. Just dissolve in a glass of water and gulp.
Is it expensive?

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 11:29pm On Jan 13, 2017
Ishilove:
Is it expensive?

Expensive depends on how you see it. It's between the range of #2000 to #2500

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 1:10am On Jan 14, 2017
goodheart02:

Oh okay, that's not bad.

Thanks so much Doc kiss

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 1:22am On Jan 14, 2017
Ishilove:
Oh okay, that's not bad.
Thanks so much Doc kiss
You're always welcome

3 Likes

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ejaisky: 8:08am On Jan 14, 2017
goodheart02:

It is between 900 to 1200

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 9:21am On Jan 14, 2017
Ejaisky:

It is between 900 to 1200

Really. But the last time I checked the price varies based on quality. CAC sandoz is of a higher quality and hence that price. But if there's anyone as low as that, it's okay. Ishilove, shey you don hear am. My own na to prescribe, I no dey fix price..... Lol

2 Likes

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 9:27am On Jan 14, 2017
goodheart02:

You're always welcome
Doc one last thing. What is the full name of CAC calcium drug? A name easily identifiable at pharmacies.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 9:28am On Jan 14, 2017
goodheart02:

Really. But the last time I checked the price varies based on quality. CAC sandoz is of a higher quality and hence that price. But if there's anyone as low as that, it's okay. Ishilove, shey you don hear am. My own na to prescribe, I no dey fix price..... Lol
I don hear cheesy

So I should ask for CAC sandoz at the pharmacy?
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 9:34am On Jan 14, 2017
Ishilove:
I don hear cheesy
So I should ask for CAC sandoz at the pharmacy?

Yeah, you're free.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ejaisky: 9:52am On Jan 14, 2017
goodheart02:

Same CAC 1000 Sandoz. I buy it once in while.
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by goodheart02(m): 10:15am On Jan 14, 2017
Ejaisky:
Same CAC 1000 Sandoz. I buy it once in while.

Okay no p

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by sisisioge: 4:52pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hiiiew! Cold water causes arthritis? Thank goodness I almost never drink it cos it freezes my teeth so...

Hope the pain is fully gone now babes.

1 Like

Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Victorez007: 5:50pm On Jan 14, 2017
Visit www.victorezblog.com.ng For health and good living tips
Re: The Strange Effect Of Cold Water On Our Bodies by Ishilove: 6:59am On Jan 15, 2017
sisisioge:
Hiiiew! Cold water causes arthritis? Thank goodness I almost never drink it cos it freezes my teeth so...

Hope the pain is fully gone now babes.
My sister I now drink lukewarm water and I did not die. Lesson learnt. smiley

The pain has reduced significantly but it isn't gone. I'll get the drugs on Monday

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kaduna Confirms 2 COVID-19 Deaths / Edo Discharges 20 Coronavirus Patients, Records 1 Death / Causes and Solutions To Alopacia/Hairloss And Baldness In Men And Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.