Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

If You Believe You Can; You Can - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / If You Believe You Can; You Can (547 Views)

Believe You Can / 7 Job Myths You Should Never Believe Again / Now I Believe In Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If You Believe You Can; You Can by Ayoola171(m): 10:47pm On Jan 12, 2017
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10211576020702498&id=1424695694&comment_id=10211594668088671&notif_t=like&notif_id=1484256423044819&ref=m_notif#!/photo.php?fbid=10211575943380565&id=1424695694&set=a.1067812581935.2012910.1424695694&source=57&refid=52&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like&__tn__=E

Part 1.

Faith of my mother; the beginning of my Journey from Sagamu to Buckingham Palace.

(Note: This is a long story, but i hope you will find something to learn)

So, I decided to share part of my story. You see, irrespective of what you believe, I will start by telling you that whatever I am, and that I will be, is all by God's grace. 2003, I finished my High School education in Nigeria, and it was at Mayflower Secondary School to be precise. If you are familiar with Nigeria, you'll know securing admission in university isn't child's play. You must hustle!

Basically, there are two exams to sit for at the end of High School. One is the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (WAEC) and the other Joint Admissions Matriculation Board (JAMB) exam. I passed both exams in just above average points. Where I am from, we dream tall dreams and so it is not unusual to see prospective university candidates compete for the best of courses such as Medicine, Engineering and Law. For many of us, these are the courses you must study if you want to succeed in life. My case was not different, I wanted to study Medicine like many others. Sadly, admission spots are competitive and often manipulated by the schools.

Growing up with many Doctors around me and coupled with the fact that my mother is a nurse, I was fascinated with their work and I wanted to be one. Unfortunately, my above average performance was not good enough secure a place on my choice program. Then I tried to do something close with the hope that I will cross over after 1st or 2nd year. I decided to pursue Biochemistry. At the departmental level, I was selected as a candidate, but when the list got to central admissions office, mysteriously, the name disappeared. I lost the spot and was not even considered for another. My mother being a staff member of the University Teaching Hospital, decided to go see the Vice Chancellor and complain.

Luckily, on the spot, she was given a note to the admissions officer that I should be given a place in the university. The note never specified any particular course and off she left. Getting to the admissions officer, she tendered the note and I was considered. The officer mentioned I have been admitted to Botany. She was disappointed and asked why I could not be given a "better" course. If you understand the Nigerian system, gratification of public workers is not uncommon. Many expect gratifications to do their work and this case wasn't different. The note coming from the Vice Chancellor, and my mother by an extension a staff meant the request can not be made boldly.

Putting my name as a candidate for Botany was a protest in silence. That was a good bargaining position. Unknown to the officer, my mother was not the kind to give in to such under any circumstance. If you have ever worked with my mother, you will understand better her stand on such issues. She asked the officer if there was no better course I can be admitted to, but he insisted none. People around suggested that she should "oil" the pocket of the officer in charge, she declined. She tried asking questions but the officer kept on dragging. At a point, the officer said, "so you think your child can't succeed as a Botanist, ok let me change it for you then." The words made impression on her, and she asked I should be left in the Botany program. So she left.

My mother came home and told me what transpired, I was disappointed. I expressed my disappointment that she fell for the cheap blackmail and told her I was not interested in the course. She said to me the statement had a great impression and that she believes how far I will reach in life is not going to be determined by whatever I choose to study but rather the grace of God and my determination to succeed. To be honest, the statement made no sense to me at that time. In fact, I was unhappy with her for many years as I reluctantly accepted the offer because staying at home was not an option for me.

First few years of the program was not funny for me. In fact, some of my friends studying other programs always pull my legs that I will end up as a Herbalist. These words were painful and to make matters worse, many ladies on campus won't even look the way of a Botany student cheesy . It is often believed that only those studying professional courses have a secured future, and the rest of us outside these courses are just passing by in school. Yes, it was that bad. Lol

Years later, as a Botanist, I have no regrets that I decided to tow that line. Most of my experiences today are not unconnected to this course I chose. November 2011, when I received my first national award in Nigeria with my parents in attendance, I was close to tears when I saw how happy I made my mum and dad. I knew if not for her uncommon wisdom, I definitely would not be on that stage. I have since travelled to different continents, and received other awards. Each and everyone of it would not have been possible if I had studied something else. Botany that I reluctantly chose at the beginning influenced my career path today and many other things.

My point, have faith in God, and never doubt yourself. The heights you can attain are not determined by what you study or any circumstance surrounding you. You have all what it takes to be successful if you can look inwards. Exodus 4:2, Then the LORD said to him (Moses), “What is that in your hand?” It is high time you stopped complaining about what you have. Whatever you have in your hands, please use it.

Lastly, never forget to listen to to the elders. Please, appreciate my mother. smiley

To be continued.......

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apply Now!!!! Social Media Internship With Ayiba! / Cross River State Government Local Scholarship Award 2017 / Way Out Of Joblessness For 27 Million Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.