Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,405 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company (2977 Views)

Huawei Overtakes Samsung As Top Global Smartphone Maker – Report / China’s Largest Phone Company Gives Their CEO A $1.5 Billion Bonus / Which Phone Company First Brought The Fingerprint Technology To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by stalyf(m): 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
According to the latest Market Monitor report from Counterpoint Research for Q3 2016, the Africa mobile handset market grew by 6% YoY mostly driven by rising demand for feature phones in the continent which grew a healthy 14% YoY when most of the markets globally are seeing greater demand for smartphones.

Counterpoint Research Senior Analyst, Tarun Pathak, commenting on the trends, “Africa is going to be the next big potential battleground for mobile phone vendors in coming years. Africa is one of the largest continent with more than billion population only next to China and India but highly underpenetrated in terms of mobile connectivity. Less than half of the population still doesn’t own a mobile phone and thus offers a great opportunity for every player in the mobile value chain.

While the growth potential is enormous, the continent still suffers from a volatile macroeconomic climate, modest per capita income and unstable political conditions in some countries which slowed down the growth in last couple of years.”Counterpoint Research Analyst Karn Chauhan, added, “As a result of weaker economic climate in some key countries, feature phone sales have made a comeback growing 14% annually becoming one of the fastest growing feature phone market globally as first time mobile phone users continue to rise.

Transsion Holdings’ low-cost brand itel became the number one brand in Africa surpassing Samsung for the first time capturing 20% share of the total mobile phone shipments. Transsion’s key brand Tecno captured 14% share in overall mobile phones whereas its smartphone only brand Infinix moved into top five smartphone rankings capturing 3% of the smartphone sub-segment. Overall Transsion is the biggest mobile phone supplier in Africa with all its brand combined capturing a third of the mobile phone market.

Counterpoint Research Analyst Shobhit Srivastava, added, “While feature phone segment grew annually, smartphone segment saw a modest 2% growth annually as the biggest smartphone market in Africa, Nigeria, saw smartphone demand shrink 19% annually due to the high inflationary climate caused by significant currency devaluation since June of this year. The weaker demand in Nigeria market was somewhat offset by stronger growth across other smaller markets such as Kenya, Algeria, Ethiopia, Egypt, South Africa and many other smaller African countries.

Samsung is still the market leader in smartphone capturing 34% share but down from 43% share as the overall volumes declined 20% annually due to the rise of Huawei, Infinix, Lenovo and long tail Chinese brands. It will be also be critical to see if Tecno can convert its existing feature phone user base to smartphones in next few years as competition from the mature smartphone brands such as Huawei, Lenovo, ZTE, Oppo becomes intense.”

Market Summary:
1. Africa is now bigger mobile phone market than Latin America or USA and in next few years will surpass Europe
2. Africa’s mobile phone user base is still under 50% of the total population and smartphone penetration is still at 22% level which is lowest among major regions and countries
3. However, one out of two mobile phones shipped in Africa were smartphones and in spite of current rise in feature phone demand.
4. One in three smartphones shipped in Africa is LTE capable.
5. itel was the number one selling mobile phone brand in Africa. It grew healthily at 50% YoY in the quarter to take the lead. The brand also remained the number one feature phone player in the African market.
6. Samsung the number two player in the Africa mobile phone market has been losing share in the mainly feature phone driven market. The company registered a decline of 31% YoY mainly due to brands focus shift from feature phones to smartphone in the region.
7. Tecno another brand from Transsion Holdings held the third position in the region’s mobile phone market. Together the three Transsion brands itel, Tecno and Infinix held 34% of the overall mobile phone market, 11% of the smartphone market and almost 60% of total feature phone market
8. Nokia remains in top 5 with its feature phones, although the company registered a 50% decline in shipment as compared to same quarter the previous year. It will be interesting to see if the brand will be able to revive itself with a new breath of life from its new owner HMD.

Source: http://www.counterpointresearch.com/press_release/itel-lead-africa-mobile-market/

2 Likes

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by ritababe(f): 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
hahahahahahahaha
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by stalyf(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2017
CC: lalasticlala, honsule, dragnet, puskin...Front page worthy?

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by zeanslim(m): 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2017
wow, itel is getting there smiley

4 Likes

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by itelMobileNG: 2:30pm On Jan 13, 2017
At itel Mobile, We are always looking for ways we can improve our products to serve our customers better.

We say thank you to all those who have bought our phones and have supported us since 2007.

4 Likes

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 2:34pm On Jan 13, 2017
Hmmm...guess itel mobile is doing something right

2 Likes

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 2:35pm On Jan 13, 2017
ritababe:
hahahahahahahaha

You can laugh for Africa
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by Kondomatic(m): 2:52pm On Jan 13, 2017
zeanslim:
wow, itel is getting there smiley
Samsung don leave phone production tey tey.

They're now into the production of sophisticated explosives

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by Ayodeleseyi65(m): 2:54pm On Jan 13, 2017
One Time About The New Series Of Itel Phones Is Their Front Cameras, Very Dope And Their Price Ain't That Expensive!

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by starlife30(m): 3:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
Kondomatic:

LooooL... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Guy you wicked

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by stalyf(m): 3:50pm On Jan 13, 2017
Ayodeleseyi65:
One Time About The New Series Of Itel Phones Is Their Front Cameras, Very Dope And Their Price Ain't That Expensive!

i agree with you, especially their itel S31 and S11

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by starlife30(m): 4:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
stalyf:

i agree with you, especially their itel S31 and S11
the S31 is itel's best phone ever.
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by zeanslim(m): 4:49pm On Jan 13, 2017
Kondomatic:

You mean something like this ? grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 5:06pm On Jan 13, 2017
zeanslim:

You mean something like this ? grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by Divinerace(m): 5:19pm On Jan 13, 2017
Itel produces dumb phones

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by DOUBLEWAHALA: 6:31pm On Jan 13, 2017
DUMP TREND FROM DUMP SITE YOU ARE COMPARING SAMSUNG WITH YESTERDAY ITEL
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by NCP: 6:55pm On Jan 13, 2017
Amala with Banga soup is the bestselling delicacy in USA. Infact, it would be served during the swearing in of Donald Trump.
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by henryobinna(m): 9:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
seriously, which kind lie be this?

e fit be true sha, if rest of Africa asides Nigeria is using itel craps
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by oscillation55(m): 12:08am On Jan 14, 2017
henryobinna:
seriously, which kind lie be this?

e fit be true sha, if rest of Africa asides Nigeria is using itel craps
Sir I need to remind you that all fingers are not equal. You may be using more than 3 premium phones but please acknowledge the fact that we have in our various communities those that could barely afford 3 Sim Itel 5010 and they'll feel they've accomplished once they procure one. I work in a retail outlet so am talking from experience.
Peace cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by donpata(m): 5:46am On Jan 14, 2017
Selling crappy devices abi
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by Techm8: 9:42am On Jan 14, 2017
Itel overtakes what? you're Kidding right? can't remember the last time I saw an itel phone sef.

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by kio052001(m): 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2017
Techm8:
Itel overtakes what? you're Kidding right?
can't remember the last time I saw an itel phone sef.
rili
the thing is that when u see their new models, U'll be surprised because U'll keep asking "are u sure this Mobil phone was produced by Itel" just the same way ppl ask me whenever they see me operating my Itel it1550

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 8:41am On Jan 16, 2017
oscillation55:

Sir I need to remind you that all fingers are not equal. You may be using more than 3 premium phones but please acknowledge the fact that we have in our various communities those that could barely afford 3 Sim Itel 5010 and they'll feel they've accomplished once they procure one. I work in a retail outlet so am talking from experience.
Peace cheesy

Gbammm. That is all i can say because you said the honest truth
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 8:51am On Jan 16, 2017
Techm8:
Itel overtakes what? you're Kidding right?
can't remember the last time I saw an itel phone sef.

Read the source of the info bros
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by starlife30(m): 3:40pm On Jan 16, 2017
donpata:
Selling crappy devices abi

LOOL. Bros haf vex
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by itelMobileNG: 9:21am On Jan 17, 2017
Divinerace:
Itel produces dumb phones
That is not true smiley
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by barackodam: 2:33pm On Jan 17, 2017
I refuse to believe undecided

Itel?

You've gotta be kidding me
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by Youngpo413: 4:50pm On Jan 17, 2017
kio052001:

rili
the thing is that when u see their new models, U'll be surprised because U'll keep asking "are u sure this Mobil phone was produced by Itel" just the same way ppl ask me whenever they see me operating my Itel it1550
you have a point though.

1 Like

Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by klinro(m): 9:29am On Jan 18, 2017
barackodam:
I refuse to believe undecided

Itel?

You've gotta be kidding me

LOOL. It is hard to believe but facts and figures are there to prove it
Re: Itel Mobile Overtakes Samsung As Africa Number One Phone Company by starlife30(m): 9:04am On Jan 20, 2017
klinro:

LOOL. It is hard to believe but facts and figures are there to prove it
many people would not agree with you despite the evidence

(1) (Reply)

Sold / Good Android Phones Within A Budget Of 23,000naira / Iphone 4 16gb White And Blackberry Bold 9700 White

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.