Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,779 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music (1055 Views)

5 Nigerian Artistes Who Influenced Contemporary Nigerian Music / 9 Nigerian Music Influenced Slangs And Their Meanings / Nigerian Music Groups That Have Broken Up (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Opinionated: 10:44pm On Jan 13, 2017
By Chris Ogunlowo

Twitter was still on fire yesterday over Mr. Eazi’s pronouncement on Ghana’s influence on Nigerian music. The hoopla has been louder among folks whose knowledge about Ghanaian-and-Nigerian music is limited to contemporary sounds. They can’t imagine Ghanaian music beyond azonto and Fuse ODG. One shouldn’t blame them. We’re a generation that treat history and culture with indifference.

Let me digress here. Our ignorance of history and culture will be the death of us. I personally find the recent destruction of the Mbari shrine in Owerri despicable and unforgivable. I felt quite traumatized by the pictures shared on social media. It’s nothing more than cultural treason to destroy that which represents a people’s spiritual essence and symbols of their creative and moral identity. This is even more sickening given that my first introduction to Mbari was in a book by Herbert Cole – “Art and the Life Among the Owerri Igbo”, and I learnt fascinating things about the Owerri people. (I lost that book in the university. Anyone that loves me should consider buying it for me o. My birthday is by the corner o). And Mbari Club was the first cultural group of young creative Africans who bore our stories in writings and in paintings, including Okigbo, J. P. Clark, Wole Soyinka, Bruce Onobrakpeya, Chinua Achebe, Ezekiel Mphahlele, Mabel Segun, etc. But what have we done to that source of creativity? Destroyed!!! Lemme just return to pop culture…

Mr. Eazi is right and Nigerians should swallow some pills of humility. You cannot rule out the influence of Ghanaian music on Nigeria. Laye laye! Especially highlife. All the Nigerian musical greats including Bobby Benson and his proteges – Victor Olaiya, Roy Chicago – I think Victor Uwaifo too, owe their sounds to Ghana’s E. T Mensah. When it comes to the evolution of West African sounds, you can’t bullshit Ghana (and Sierra Leone and to some extent Congo). No way!!! Nigeria, only by sheer ability to re-create and dominate – and with an incredibly large consumer market, has appropriated some of these influences that it’s hard to even tell where they are from. Of course, we have our own unique sounds too. But we’re the genius of remixing!

I suppose Mr. Eazi alludes to contemporary afro hip-hop music, which infuses highlife with R&B and whatnots. One only needs to trace the influences to discover that the legacy of old highlife lives on, albeit diluted. When I hear some of the new songs, I sometimes wish that the instrumentalists could launch into long guitar or trumpet or saxophone solos. But that will be asking for too much. Radio plays and repetitive choruses won’t permit that. This is highlife 2.0.

One shouldn’t blame these young(er) generation and their rude excesses. We don’t have the means to tell these stories. An older generation has failed to structure our history and culture.

We are in crisis!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/mr-eazi-right-ghana-significant-influence-nigerian-music/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by hoover420: 10:46pm On Jan 13, 2017
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Opinionated: 10:47pm On Jan 13, 2017
I think even in recent years, Ghanaian artists where quicker to embrace their local sounds with what they tagged 'Hiplife'. At this time Nigerian artists were still doing 'shigidifigidishikishikishee' in the name of rap.
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by UrWorstNitemare: 10:49pm On Jan 13, 2017
e be like... 2 follow Eazi go Ghana dey hungry you... bah? angry

1 Like

Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Opinionated: 10:52pm On Jan 13, 2017
UrWorstNitemare:
e be like...
2 follow Eazi go Ghana dey hungry you... bah? angry

You read the post at all?
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Nixiepie(f): 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2017
Who is Mr Eazi undecided here in Chicago we dnt knw him
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Opinionated: 11:03pm On Jan 13, 2017
Nixiepie:
Who is Mr Eazi undecided here in Chicago we dnt knw him

No be only Chicago you dey, na Toronto.
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Ayodeleseyi65(m): 11:04pm On Jan 13, 2017
With All The Rants You Call Write Up, O.P To Slap You Dey Hungry Me, Besides You Sound More Like A Ghanaian Who Was Brought Up In Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by ThinkWISELY(m): 11:09pm On Jan 13, 2017
I laff in swahili
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by DozieInc(m): 11:32pm On Jan 13, 2017
UrWorstNitemare:
e be like...
2 follow Eazi go Ghana dey hungry you... bah? angry
Lollz... No chillz
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Revolva(m): 1:27am On Jan 14, 2017
mr eazi is right like 70 percent...ghanian influence is taking naija music...way back and even now
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by pointblank247(m): 3:20pm On Jan 14, 2017
attention seeking and confused human being.
Re: Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music by Opinionated: 8:56am On Jan 15, 2017
pointblank247:
attention seeking and confused human being.

When you don't have counter-arguments backed with facts, you attack abi.

Abeg Seun, let us have a wider Opinion on this. I tire for people commenting here from this section for the most part on this thread so far.

(1) (Reply)

Download All Tracks: Tiwa Savage – Sugarcane Ep / Chris Okey – Oba [AUDIO] / I Need A Sponsor For My Music Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.