Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,438 members, 7,958,313 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:16 PM

Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" (45014 Views)

If Nigeria Breaks Up, Abuja Will Be A Separate Country – Sumner Shagari Sambo / Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Photos Of Yemi Osinbajo With Namadi Sambo At State House Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 15, 2017
omogidi234:

As in showing where there are exchanging live cross fire, throwing bomb, using all manner of artillery, that is what I meant and not broadcasting an event live.
Oga them dey show am especially during The last administration when boko haram reigned supreme.
At least if it were the middle east, the terrorists grant interview to the press, if na Boko Haram, them go still your camera kill you ontop. Tbe prefer posting their own videos.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by giles14(m): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2017
dainformant:
Nigerian journalists have come under fire recently after being labelled lazy. A Nigerian journalist and former stringer/reporter at Reuters, Sumner Shagari Sambo, has shared pictures to show that not all journalist are lazy and have never been to war zones. He shared the pictures on his Facebook page and wrote;

I hate it it when some people think that all Nigerian journalists are lazy and have never been war reporters before.Social media should not give you a license to denigrate your fellow hardworking citizens. There is nothing the global TV networks have done or are doing that we haven't or cannot do.

Here I am reporting war and insurgency in different parts of Nigeria and Africa. Enough of generalisations...some of the best Journalists in the world are from Nigeria!

Source; http://www.nationalhelm.net/2017/01/not-all-journalist-are-lazy-photos-of.html
bros go and rest.

Brenda uji of channels TV a war correspondent have been reporting from the war front for 3+ years
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by omogidi234(m): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

Oga them dey show am especially during The last administration when boko haram reigned supreme.
At least if it were the middle east, the terrorists grant interview to the press, if na Boko Haram, them go still your camera kill you ontop. Tbe prefer posting their own videos.

I will appreciate any link to where TVC/Channels covered any war or boko haram activity as it was happening. I am aware most of the videos (repeat videos) are sourced from the foreign Journalists who were covering it live. I even saw one recently, the guy ( I think from CNN) was with them in the night as they were exchanging heavy fire and using heavy artillery.

1 Like

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by Nobody: 8:00am On Jan 15, 2017
Oluwanimoduroti:
TVC olodo grin
Na the reason why you dey call me an olodo?
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 15, 2017
Martinola:
Dis for me is crap, absolute shite...u cnt convince me with jst pictures if d yardstick is d foreign journalists...dos guys give us live coverages, u see gunshots at d background, u see soldiers running with guns, u see dem hold d microphone and face d camera, dey didn't convince anyone by opening teeth and posing lyk MMM jst returned ur money.
my brother so u now see gun shot at d background...
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by Generalkorex(m): 8:04am On Jan 15, 2017
Love Machine:
Which TV station is he working for?
tvc
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by omogidi234(m): 9:08am On Jan 15, 2017
IbnIslam:
my brother so u now see gun shot at d background...

:"
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin "Na wah for you guys", always scrutinizing lines. I think an average Nigerian says that often or once in a while when it relates to an object that ought to have been perceived with another sense i.e. this time the hearing sense! Most especially when trying to emphasize something.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by pressplay411(m): 10:17am On Jan 15, 2017
ChangeIsCostant:
good for him

Aiye ti su eleyi o.

Foreign journalists that do this have robust life policies in place. I doubt you'll get that from our local stations. They'll probably even make you sign counteractive contracts that protect them instead.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:18pm On Jan 15, 2017
Lol...Hello to everyone here. I am the Journalist whose story is featured here.

You can ask more questions while i try to answer some already posted here as i am a Nairalander too. But before then, read this.

HALL OF FAME OF WAR REPORTERS IN NIGERIA

By Sumner Shagari Sambo

With the decimation of Boko Haram and its camp zairo by the military, not many citizens are willing to also give credit to Nigerian Journalists who covered the war against the terrorists for their local, national and foreign media either at the war front or in different states and countries in West Africa, all doing reports on the insurgency that later migrated to full-blown terrorism.

Below is my compilation of Journalists that I knew personally or from a distance who moved from state-to-state and interior communities reporting terrorism, not just covering Defence beat or based in Abuja. This is not an exhaustive list, my colleagues should suggest more, and it is not in any order of ranking.

1. Hamza Idris - Daily Trust
2. Ahmad Salkida - (formerly of Blueprint newspaper)
3. Amadin Joseph Uyi - STV (formerly of NN24/E.TV/RT/Vox Africa)
4. Lekan Oyekanmi - AP
5. Danjuma Abdullahi - Press TV
6. Afolabi Sotunde - Daily Trust/Reuters
7. Ismail Mudashir - Daily Trust
8. Ismail Omipidan - Daily Trust
9. Sifon Essien - TVC News/ITV
10. Seun Akioye - Nation
11. Senator Iroegbu - ThisDay
12. Zakariya Isa - NTA (Dead)
13. Enenche Akogwu - Channels/Reuters (Dead)
14. Chima Nwankwoo (formerly of CCTV)
15. Isaac Abrak (formerly of Reuters)
16. Ibrahim Gwamna Mshelizza (formerly of Reuters)
17. Abraham Achirga - Reuters
18. Buhari Bello (Buhari B Bello Bello) - New Nigerian
19. Ibraheem Muhammad Hamza - NAN
20. Kolomi Dala Aji - TVC News
21. Sunday Aghaeze - ThisDay
22. Uwais Idris - Deutsche Welle (DW)
23. Malik Samuel - ICIR
24. Odili Christel - Sharpedgenews.com
25. Fisayo Soyombo - TheCable online newspaper
27. Brenda Uji - AIT
29. Muhammad Abdulkadir - NTA
30. Abdulkareem Haruna - Premium Times
31. Chika Francis - AIT
32. Sumner Shagari Sambo - NN24/Reuters/TVC News

And many other brave journalists (especially video cameramen and radio journalists, whose names I do not know or cannot remember now, please forgive me), that are based in the six states of the Northeast region, and then other states such as Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Kogi, Niger states and Abuja, FCT.

My colleagues should feel free to add more names of brave Journalists who covered the war against Boko Haram in different states from the frontlines or covered the insurgency and bomb attacks severally across states and borders, so long they are Nigerians.

To those who died, may their souls continue to rest in peace. For those who survived especially with scars, may we never witness such a deadly uprising/insurgency/terrorism or mass killings in Nigeria again.

Many of the global news networks that came to Nigeria to cover the Boko Haram terrorism, at random times, mostly succeeded in their reports because of Nigerian journalists like us who served as their fixers or stringers. I personally served as Fixer to many networks like Sky News, AlJazeera, France 24 and many others.

Not all Nigerian Journalists are lazy or fit into the warped beliefs and thinking of some members of the society especially commentators on social media. Let's learn to research before we generalize and post or comment on social media what may not be a proper reflection of reality.
You should not be fixated on celebrating foreign correspondents without celebrating your own. Nigerian Journalists are some of the best in the world irrespective of shortcomings by some of our colleagues due to poor training and poor remuneration.

Finally, Since many people like action pictures from war scenes before celebrating hardworking journalists who would have ordinarily wanted to remain below the radar, here are some shots that I can lay my hands on from my good friend Amadin Uyi and myself at various times between 2009 and 2016. We started this journey of reporting insurgency together at NN24 TV (now rested).

NB: This list will continue to be updated until those who deserve the accolades get it. Reporters should send me photos or links to their own stories.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:24pm On Jan 15, 2017
Also see more pictures here while I covered war in Mali for TVC News circa 2013. I am here embedded with Senegalese troops.

1 Like

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:33pm On Jan 15, 2017
At Mopti and Timbuktu in northern Mali while covering war there

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
When the city of Timbuktu fell and AQIM, MNLA rebels fled the city. French troops bombed the terrorists and we followed them into the city to speak with residents.

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2017
Watch video of our entry into Timbuktu here on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Qn1-3gja0
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by naptu2: 12:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
omogidi234:

As in showing where there are exchanging live cross fire, throwing bomb, using all manner of artillery, that is what I meant and not broadcasting an event live. I see these on CNN et al regularly. I commend the man for even having the courage to go near but to give live coverage of war, I have not seen it on TVC or Channels or on any Nigeria media.

I have. Many times. Did you see Ecomog's arrival in Monrovia in 1990? The NTA reporter arrived as the battle raged between Taylor and Doe's forces. We could hear the explosions and see the smoke.

Krees Imodibe and Tayo Awotusin were killed by Taylor's forces while covering the war in Liberia.

Wasn't that how Enenche Akogu died while covering Boko Haram's attack on the emir's palace?

Have you heard of Niyi Babade?

There are so many Nigerian journalists that have been in the thick of battle.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
Moral: Not all NIGERIAN Journalists are lazy or fit into the warped beliefs and thinking of some commentators here.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
Let's learn to research before we generalize and post or comment on social media what may not be a proper reflection of reality. Nigerian Journalists are some of the best in the world irrespective of some shortcomings by some of our colleagues due to poor training and poor remuneration.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by shiazzabwa: 12:49pm On Jan 15, 2017
Not all TV channels in Nigeria can afford war reporting but TVC News has done a great job in that area. We covered recent crisis in Central African Republic (CAR) better than your average western news channel via our Reporter, Femi Akande. We are also in Gambia at the moment preparing for the aftermath of January 19 when President Jammeh hands over or allows war to breakout in his country. We have covered insurgency better than any channel in Nigeria or sub-saharan Africa for our international channel and audiences. Not many Nigerians like watching such, hence they don't appreciate it but viewers on our international channel that watch us appreciate us better.

TVC News is better viewed and appreciated abroad. We even supply visuals to major international news channels like BBC, CNN, RT, Reuters etc. Bobby Christopher...on insurgency coverage in Nigeria, we remain the best. Ask any military man in the country just that we don't make noise.

But because many Nigerians are hooked to the feeding bottle of CNN, BBC and AlJazeera, they dont see the good in other channels but are quick to castigate upcoming African networks. If you are one of such, kindly cure yourself of mental slavery according to Bob Marley. Cheers
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by yungeez(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2017
omogidi234:
He tried Sha! But those CNN and foreign journalists would give you live footage ni!
lol...live footage ni...how much dem wqn pay am
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by limamintruth: 6:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
Kondomatic:
I came here to see flying bullets

Lol, war zone really? grin
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by omogidi234(m): 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
naptu2:

I have. Many times. Did you see Ecomog's arrival in Monrovia in 1990? The NTA reporter arrived as the battle raged between Taylor and Doe's forces. We could hear the explosions and see the smoke.

Krees Imodibe and Tayo Awotusin were killed by Taylor's forces while covering the war in Liberia.

Wasn't that how Enenche Akogu died while covering Boko Haram's attack on the emir's palace?

Have you heard of Niyi Babade?

There are so many Nigerian journalists that have been in the thick of battle.

Good to hear this then but we want more of that.
Re: Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" by omogidi234(m): 8:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
yungeez:

lol...live footage ni...how much dem wqn pay am

grin grin grin Haha, it is part of the job now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obasanjo Registers As Member Of Coalition Of Nigeria Movement / "Igbo Man Defeated Boko Haram For Us" - Shettima / Magnus Abe Dumps APC For PDP - Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.