Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! (772 Views)

5 Early Signs Of Breast Cancer That Almost All Women Ignore! / 11 Signs Of Heart Disease That Should Not Be Ignored / 10 Early Warning Signs Of Diabetes You Should Not Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by Damian2016: 11:27am On Jan 15, 2017
Source: www.DoctorsHub.com.ng

A few days ago, I was on Facebook, going through posts by friends...basically trying to keep up and know how they were doing. And while I was doing this, I came across a post by a friend that really touched me. He had posted that he was kind of down, sad and depressed, and that people should help him with ideas and suggestions on how to lift his mood. Shockingly, all but one person, made fun of him and joked about his condition. Some even took it afar...advising him to go get himself high with alcohol and marijuana! Feeling both sad and angry, I reached out to him and offered the little help I could. But then, that experience had a profound lasting effect on me. It thought me that, most times, the only thing some people need, to help them overcome their challenges, is a listening ear- someone who genuinely listens to them without judgement.

Tragically, that experience is just one among thousands of others out there. A sad depiction of how we take our mental health for granted. Today, so many people out there are very sick and in need of help. But because of our obsession with superstitious beliefs (taboos about mental illnesses) and our nonchalance for health generally, we often abandon them to their fate.

Just sad.

Anyways, here...a few depressing facts for your digestion:

Do you know that over 800, 000 people die yearly as a result of suicide? And that for every 3 suicides, 2 have depression as the reason behind it? These statistics are depressing, but they are facts. Nigeria is currently experiencing a rise in suicide rates. This worrisome rise is not unconnected to the fact that we exhibit a shocking lack of interest in our mental health.

According to WHO, depression is a common mental disorder, characterized by sadness, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, feelings of tiredness and poor concentration.World over, about 350 million people, of all age groups, are said to be depressed! And contrary to the belief that depression is a rich man's disease, depression is as rampant among the poor, even more so, as it is among the rich.

Here are the 7 early signs that may help you identify a depresssed loved one/colleague/friend or one who's on the brink of a depression,

#1. Prolonged feelings of sadness: this is different from normal sadness that usually lasts for a short period of time. The sadness of a depressed person is usually persistent and must have been ongoing for at least 2 weeks. The person is persistently gloomy and despondent 247! Nothing brightens his or her mood. You see him/her for first time and you can tell all is not well. As a rule: not all sad people are depressed, but all depressed people are sad...always.

#2. Lack of interest: this one is actually shocking and worrying. Someone you know, who loves and deeply enjoys a particular experience or activity, suddenly goes cold. No more interest. And it happens so suddenly that your mental alarm gets ticked off, leaving you worried with a lot of unanswered questions.

$3. Social withdrawal: you have that friend or loved who has, only recently, started avoiding social gatherings without a genuine reason, and in a way that gets you worried? Observe them very closely. They may be depressed. Look out for the other signs of depression and if indeed that person is depressed, quickly REACH OUT to them asap before it is too late.

#4. Sleep disturbance: usually, depressed people often have sleep disturbances. For some, it is insomnia (sleeplessness) while for others, it is narcolepsy (oversleeping). Which ever it is, always look out for other constellating signs that will support your suspicion(s).

#5: Personal neglect: someone who is usually a fashionista by calling or a neat freak by profession, suddenly transforms into a slob: clothes are dirty, hair unkempt, body is out of shape and every other thing a complete mess. There is absolutely no motivation for them to want to a
There is absolutely no motivation for them to want to appear neat. Life suddenly loses its colour and everything becomes hopeless. Cause? Depression.

#6. Feelings of guilt and worthlessness: he or she persistently demeans himself/herself. They blame themselves for everything. They are overwhelmed with a profound feeling of guilt....to them, they are the world's greatest failures. Even their previous achievements becoming meaningless and forgotten.

#7. Absent-mindedness: you are talking to them about a topic that should naturally make their eyes light up and their ears stick out, instead what do you see? They are absorbed in their own worlds....completely lost in thought and oblivious of reality and their immediate environment. You shout their names severally but until you touch them, they do not hear you.

NB: suicidal thoughts/ideation is usually a sign of a very serious and prolonged depression (major depression). If you are having thoughts of suicide or you know of a person who is always talking about and has some of the signs listed above , please don't hesitate in getting help, either for yourself or for that person. Ask for help. Talk to a doctor ( visit www.doctorshub.com.ng and have a doctor attend to you).

Thanks for reading!

Until another,
Ja mata ne.

http://doctorshub.com.ng/2017/01/15/8-early-signs-of-depression/

1 Like

Re: 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by Nutase: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2017
Re: 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
Very informative post. Last year,i experienced depression and it got so bad that the things that are had interest in became boring. But thank God i bounced back like a ball off the ground.

1 Like

Re: 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by ashala(m): 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
Very wonderful and educative topic
Re: 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2017
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Very informative post. Last year,i experienced depression and it got so bad that the things that are had interest in became boring. But thank God i bounced back like a ball off the ground.
Wonderful.
Re: 8 Early Signs Of Depression!!! by kingscheta: 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
I really need you to email me on scoutnaf@gmail.com it's about your website @ writter

(1) (Reply)

Finally, here's the proof Ladies; Sex in pregnancy does more good than harm! / Me And My Fiance Are As / Sexual Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.