Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,714 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji (2529 Views)

Boerboel Attacks Thief That Tried Attacking The Dog Owner In Abia(Graphic Photo) / Man Inflicts Injury On Neighbour's Dog In Warri; Doctors Stitch The Dog (Graphic / Posthumous Award For The Dog That Foiled Boko Haram Suicide Bombing In Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by DogLover24(f): 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2017
The Basenji is one of the few dog breeds which share a close resemblance to the 'local dog' in Nigeria. Originating from Central Africa, the Basenji is thought to be one of the world's oldest breed of dog, dating back to the 4th dynasty (of Eygpt) over 4000 years ago. Dogs similar to the Basenji are depicted on Egyptian artifacts, the dogs were brought up the Nile as gifts for the Pharoahs of ancient Eygpt. The Basenji has been used as a hunting and tracking dog since time immemorial and is placed in the hound group, specifically, as a sight hound.

Physical Attributes

The breed is small and graceful with a short coat, tightly curled tail, and wrinkled forehead

Weight: 9.5 - 11kg
Height: 16-17 inches
Coat: Very Short coat
Colours: Chestnut and white, Black and White, Brindle and White
Life Span: 10-14 years

Characteristics of the Basenji

The basenji is alert, highly intelligent, independent and reserved with strangers. They have an aloof personality and will only bond with one or two members of the family and most likely wouldn't get along with non-canine pets.

The breed's most unique characteristic is that it does not bark, this is as a result of its unusually shaped larynx. Although the breed is known to make a variety of sounds (yodelling and howling), it is usually quiet, a trait which gives the basenji the nickname 'barkless dog'.

One of the perks of owning this dog breed is that its inability to bark, short coat and clean habits make it a perfect house dog, the downside though is that they can be very difficult to train.

This breed was officially recognised by the AKC in 1943.

SOURCE : http://wooflinepets.com/2017/01/14/dog-that-doesnt-bark-basenji/ (Woofline Pets)

TO READ SIMILAR ARTICLES: http://wooflinepets.com/

Photo Credit: basenji-freunde.com/basenji%20history.htm

cc seun
cc Fynestboi

Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by Coyotejack(m): 12:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
grin this is the pure breed of the today's local
Dogs Na undecided
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by DogLover24(f): 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
Coyotejack:
grin this is the pure breed of the today's local dodge
Dogs Na undecided

They most likely share the same ancestors, but both dog groups aren't the same. Moreover, the Basenji originates from Congo (Central Africa)
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by Endy10(m): 1:36pm On Jan 15, 2017
I remember when I first heard about this breed. Its close resemblance to our local 'bingo' dog was what drew my attention. They notoriously hard to train. I went through so many clips of Caesar Milan in the hope I would see him come face to face with one. I was disapoited when I couldn't find one. Would love to see him tackle this one.
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by yommen: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
It is the local to its native land. Our own local dogs are also a form of species but we dont have faith in them.
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by DogLover24(f): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2017
yommen:
It is the local to its native land. Our own local dogs are also a form of species but we dont have faith in them.
yea.. we have not carried out any research regarding its origin/ancestors. Which makes it difficult to place the breed.
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by khadaffi(m): 9:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
This na pure local dog. The puppy is sold for 500 naira
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by Baroba(m): 12:03am On Jan 17, 2017
khadaffi:

I will give you 10k if you can get me a basenji for 500 box.. grin
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by DogLover24(f): 8:41pm On Jan 17, 2017
khadaffi:

shocked
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by younghartz(m): 11:02pm On Jan 18, 2017
The females comes on heat once a year
Re: The Dog That Doesn't Bark - The Basenji by DogLover24(f): 11:52am On Jan 20, 2017
younghartz:
The females comes on heat once a year

yes true, thanks for sharing the inforamtion

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kindness, Adoption And Love / I Love Rabbits... I Want One As Pet... / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.