Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,253 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately (4470 Views)

Starcomms Morderm / Starcomms Introduces 50 Hours Internet Package / Starcomms Izap Slim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Passworded: 10:26pm On Nov 25, 2009
About 2 weeks ago I had a messy experience with starcomms (Izap). I tried to connect but to no avail and my subscription status was active. I called the customer service without concrete info only for the third customer care officer (third call) to finally open up to me telling me that my account was suspended for unauthorised downloads which he said he coukd not explain,imagine my disgust, this was done without prior notification I went to their head office in V/I to request for my internet history report and what starcomms terms as unauthoised downloads at least to avoid a repitition of that embarassing experience. i was told that a representative would call me on that only for them to send me an SMS on a number that cant be called back.

It would seem to me that Starcomms has made money and no longer needs subscibers or are tryin to effect a download limit on their network but dont know how to go about it.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2009
Report d issue to ncc/servicom through their web
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 26, 2009
based on what i've heard - do not use torrents ,do not download movies and you'll be fine
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by blackweaver(m): 7:55pm On Nov 28, 2009
movies i download movies regularly, however i don't use torrents - at least not in windows
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by init4dmoni(m): 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2009
they did the same thing to me but mine was a "level 1" tongue
i downloaded transformers 2 with bit comet(only 2gig&5hrs of downloading!?!?!)
my "level 1: means i would have to summit a form like when i first got it
unfortunately i had already paid N15,000 thinking that my subscription had finished 250hrs
well all said and done N30,000 and 1 and a half weeks l8r they reactivated it and told me that if it happened again i would have to purchase a new modem
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Passworded: 10:35pm On Nov 28, 2009
init4dmoni:

they did the same thing to me but mine was a "level 1" tongue
i downloaded transformers 2 with bit comet(only 2gig&5hrs of downloading!?!?!)
my "level 1: means i would have to summit a form like when i first got it
unfortunately i had already paid N15,000 thinking that my subscription had finished 250hrs
well all said and done N30,000 and 1 and a half weeks l8r they reactivated it and told me that if it happened again i would have to purchase a new modem

if starcomms is saying no more downloads or file sharing, then whats d essence of the unlimited download size they are so quick to mention, its as good as dial up just check yahoo, nairaland, facebook, grin and logout, thats crazy, there'll soon be a mass exodus to other providers then when subsciption drops theyll come back to their senses, and to think the month u dont pay customer service would be buggin u incessantly to subscribe like u owe them money,
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by blackweaver(m): 7:12am On Nov 29, 2009
@passworded
actually i think it's the way u downloaded not the download size that's the reason why they blocked ur account
after all i did download windows 7 ~2.4gb, only God knows how many linux images i have downloaded
but i use regular downloads or download accelerators not torrent clients and i think that makes all the difference;
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 29, 2009
^^^^

thats it - i must have downloaded over 100gb + since i started using starcmms - music, apps, ebooks
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by samir101ng(m): 9:30pm On Nov 29, 2009
blackweaver:

@passworded
actually i think it's the way u downloaded not the download size that's the reason why they blocked your account
after all i did download windows 7 ~2.4gb, only God knows how many linux images i have downloaded
but i use regular downloads or download accelerators not torrent clients and i think that makes all the difference;

You are exactly right. I think starcomms has a computer dedicated to detecting p2p traffic and thats why the use of torrents like emule, bearshare, etc will get you banned. Starcomms is the last remaining network that i know that doesnt have a bandwidth limit. Once they do, they lose their edge. Because their are networks that offer far superior speed and customer care service than they do.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2009
^^^^

actually i think i read something to the effect that movie companies etal are able to monitor torrents, and so can contact starcomms informing them that your network is being used to download so and so

in a perfect world, starcomms should be able to tell em to f off - put this na naija

Starcomms is the last remaining network that i know that doesnt have a bandwidth limit

true that

i go finish mtn dl limits in one night cheesy
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by samir101ng(m): 1:44am On Nov 30, 2009
oyb:

^^^^

actually i think i read something to the effect that movie companies etal are able to monitor torrents, and so can contact starcomms informing them that your network is being used to download so and so

in a perfect world, starcomms should be able to tell em to f off - put this na naija

true that

i go finish mtn dl limits in one night cheesy

Yes, there is some truth to what you are saying. Since you are assigned an ip address and its linked to the unique number of your access device (express or usb card), starcomms can easily trace from where the traffic is coming from. That's why its better to download using normal http or ftp traffic using a program like internet download manager. Also, an account to be rapidshare will be wise. Its just N1,900 for a months access. You get premium membership and all the stuff you will ever need. There's no movie or software that you can't find there. If its not there, then it was probably not worth it.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by lynxnoon(m): 11:58am On Nov 30, 2009
starcomms. . . . .hmmmm kinda mis dem sha wink
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:53am On Dec 02, 2009
The bastards owe me N30k in subscription on EVDO, paid each month and password never worked, but they kept on telling me to pay to that it will work once activated. angry

May their mast be kidnapped this year in Jesus Name. AMEN
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by lynxnoon(m): 9:15am On Dec 02, 2009
lagerwhenindoubt:

The bastards owe me N30k in subscription on EVDO, paid each month and password never worked, but they kept on telling me to pay to that it will work once activated. angry

May their mast be kidnapped this year in Jesus Name. AMEN

lol grin grin
I suggest u dedicate a day, go to dia head office n demand dey activate it rite dere or ur 30k may be gone wit d wind wink
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:26am On Dec 02, 2009
MTN is VGCComm infrastructure whose IP is blacklisted on hundreds of sites and several countries.

GLO simply manufacture spurious and suspicious entries on your bill at the end of the month. then they tell you that you are a heavy downloader.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by samir101ng(m): 11:30am On Dec 02, 2009
lagerwhenindoubt:

MTN is VGCComm infrastructure whose IP is blacklisted on hundreds of sites and several countries.

GLO simply manufacture spurious and suspicious entries on your bill at the end of the month. then they tell you that you are a heavy downloader.

Correct Guy.

And the major headache, bandwidth limit. In this case, both MTN and Glo are in the same well. But come to think of it, for an AVERAGE user its okay. But most of us have passed the age of being an average user tey-tey. Heard even visaphone have introduced the bandwidth limit and people are flinging their modems. lol grin
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by agabaI23(m): 11:36am On Dec 02, 2009
I use torrent to download movies here and no one has blocked me.

Is it only naija downloads that the movie people monitor? Better reason please.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:45am On Dec 02, 2009
agabaI23:

I use torrent to download movies here and no one has blocked me.

Is it only naija downloads that the movie people monitor? Better reason please.

Do you know how utorrent works smiley !? when you download a file using utorrent, it connects to a database that has a list of literally hundreds of users with the same file that you are requesting all from different IPs (some may not be banned). so your downloads will always come through.

It would seem that any company selling personal internet (GLO, STarcomms, MTN etc) all have the same business model, poor bandwidth for good money then they limit you to 3GB, on BT fixed line for 40 pounds per month, you get unlimited downloads at at minimum 2MBps, no download caps.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by viperman: 12:26pm On Dec 02, 2009
So you guys are still suffering with the likes of Starcomms, MTn, Glo e.t.c, Don't you read news? or don't you guys research before buying your internet service?
I've been using Multi-links broadband service and no complaints, super fast. i even watched the carling cup yesterday online using it, and the streaming was better than i have experienced before, not SUPER!!!!!! FAST! but FAST Enough for streaming. at least, watching 5 minutes of free flowing soccer before it buffers again, then on and on.
i agree with the award, no download limit on their packages also.

Read the links below

http://www.silobreaker.com/multilinks-telkom-wins-best-broadband-internet-award-at-nitta-2009-5_2262762695159709727

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/24/multi-links-telkom-wins-best-broadband-internet-award/
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by kazum(m): 1:00pm On Dec 02, 2009
@ poster
I guess your data card was suspended for downloading(infringement). Your card can still be reconnected if this is the 1st time of suspension. Go to any starcomms offices with your ID and utility bill (NEPA bill) and your card will be OK within 48hrs. If you are have any issues contant me on 08037056104. Thanks
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by DualCore1: 1:31pm On Dec 02, 2009
viperman:

So you guys are still suffering with the likes of Starcomms, MTn, Glo e.t.c, Don't you read news? or don't you guys research before buying your internet service?
I've been using Multi-links broadband service and no complaints, super fast. i even watched the carling cup yesterday online using it, and the streaming was better than i have experienced before, not SUPER!!!!!! FAST! but FAST Enough for streaming. at least, watching 5 minutes of free flowing soccer before it buffers again, then on and on.
i agree with the award, no download limit on their packages also.

Read the links below

http://www.silobreaker.com/multilinks-telkom-wins-best-broadband-internet-award-at-nitta-2009-5_2262762695159709727

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/11/24/multi-links-telkom-wins-best-broadband-internet-award/

Chill, its the normal IGG (Initial Gra-Gra). U never see anything yet.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by blinx4real(m): 1:47pm On Dec 02, 2009
@kazum,
kazum:

@ poster
I guess your data card was suspended for downloading(infringement). Your card can still be reconnected if this is the 1st time of suspension. Go to any starcomms offices with your ID and utility bill (NEPA bill) and your card will be OK within 48hrs. If you are have any issues contant me on 08037056104. Thanks

what do u mean by infringement? Is there any restriction to the use of the internet service stated in the original agreement between the subscriber and starcomms? how come the infringements are popping up all of a sudden?
visiting illegal sites and downloading using p2p applications should be between the copyright owner and the user not the isp interfering! (not that I support download of copyrighted materials anyway).
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Mijinyawa: 5:56pm On Dec 02, 2009
what do u mean by infringement? Is there any restriction to the use of the internet service stated in the original agreement between the subscriber and starcomms? how come the infringements are popping up all of a sudden?
visiting illegal sites and downloading using p2p applications should be between the copyright owner and the user not the isp interfering! (not that I support download of copyrighted materials anyway).

I downloaded a movie too and they yanked me off; trust we argued for days and they showed me terms and conditions and directed me to their website, so there is restriction and it is illegal to download a movie without paying for it. But write them at customerservice@starcomms.com please put your modem and contact details they would get back to you. Some nice lady called me when i had issues with them and sorted me out. She has some name like Tina
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 02, 2009
I hope anyone who has these movie issues and resolves them realizes their name has been stored in a database somewhere and some day in the distant future there is the possibility of legal repercussions from the movie studios
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:51pm On Dec 02, 2009
Here is a simple way to go about it, install your freedom and pay for the premium service, about 3500 naira a month or better still buy their vouchers ( like recharge cards) on face value it looks expensive but trust me the benefits are worth it, aside from people who can configure it to connect without having subscription I know a few 3G/EVDO networks that it works for you have absolute immunity and your ISP here in Nigeria will not be able to really tell what you are downloading.
Cheers.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by vislabraye(m): 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2009
They've suspended mu accounts because of downloads too. I've been visiting sites like piratebay and mininova and also use limewire and vuze. I've been enjoying my downloads until one day, it stopped working. The next day a text message was sent telling me my offense.

It was said that the companies abroad have been complaining bitterly about the download. The case was taken to the EFCC and some undertaking had to be signed. I thought it would be worse than that, but they said i was first time offender. I think this starcomms people should have ways of hiding IP addresses. To dey download dey sweet O. @poster, may be thats the reason ur line was suspended
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by netotse(m): 2:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
oyb:

I hope anyone who has these movie issues and resolves them realizes their name has been stored in a database somewhere and some day in the distant future there is the possibility of legal repercussions from the movie studios

abeg jo. . .no be yankee them dey, abi you've forgotten that this is naija where you can win a case and the judge will offer you NGN10,000 as damages

@all
i think there are some torrent clients that can encrypt their data, cant rem the name of the one i used to use sha,
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 03, 2009
The blocked my line too, although i use mine for cafe biz which has a limit to what you can monitor.
that's an unfriendly move but they still remain the best sha, i have tried all.
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by ochukoccna: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2009
webdezzi:

The blocked my line too, although i use mine for cafe biz which has a limit to what you can monitor.
that's an unfriendly move but they still remain the best sha, i have tried all.

[size=14pt]@ Webdezzi, what exactly was your offense? Not U per se seeing U use it for a cafe but what exactly where your users accused of doing? Expect your reply ASAP! Thanks.[/size]
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by bily(m): 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2009
starcomms also blocked my line, though i was a 1st time offender, till date they have refused 2 connect me. was told i had 2 buy anoda modem. 2 make matters worse them tif my 7k n neva refunded cos they cut me off a day prior 2 expiration n failed 2 inform me. so thinkin subscription don expire, i paid 7k to renew it!!
Re: Starcomms Suspends Customer's Accounts Indisciminately by drklump(m): 10:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
@all: The Movie companies in America under the MPAA are taking copyright infringement very seriously now. Recently the British put in a legislation that allows the ISPs there to disconnect repeating offenders of copyright infringement.

Let me give you an example of my office experience. Someone left his laptop  over the weekend to download a movie using torrents. The bugger forgot to set the torrents to shut down the application after the download was complete. The download finished and his system began seeding for the entire weekend.

On monday morning, we were hit with a mail from our upstream provider. Experts below:

Sent:
To: NOC
Subject:  - Notice of Claimed Infringement

RE:  Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
    Obsessed

Dear xxxx NOC:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Columbia Pictures Industries Inc., ("Columbia Pictures"wink.

As you may know, Columbia Pictures is the owner of copyright and exclusive distribution rights in and to the motion picture entitled Obsessed.

No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute the above-mentioned work without the express written permission of Columbia Pictures, which permission Columbia Pictures has not granted to x.x.x.x

We have received information that an individual has utilized the above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3).  This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and
2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

On behalf of Columbia Pictures, owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by Columbia Pictures, its respective agents, or the law.

We also hereby state that we believe the information in this notification is accurate, and, under penalty of perjury, that MediaSentry is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email should you have any questions.

You can imagine the sweat on our faces when we saw this

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Laptop Can I Buy With A 60 Thousand Naira Budget? / Neat US Used Lenovo N23 - X360 Touchscreen, SSD, Portable, 5hrs Battery *sold / Which Of These IT Courses Holds The Most Potential And Marketable In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.