Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,681 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet (2633 Views)

10 Interesting Facts About The Internet / Why Is Nigeria Not Catching The Internet Wave? / Scientist Sends Brain Signal Via The Internet To Control Colleague's Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by auwal87(m): 12:15am On Nov 26, 2009
I guess the problem has been for long, but it is taking too long, for God sake, why would Internet Merchants accept buyers from Sudan, Zimbabwe, Iraq, Afghanistan, even Niger Republic, but does not accept buyers from Nigeria. I was trying to purchase from a website but they can ship to all countries except Nigeria, why is this so?

What are we doing to change this? Are they thinking all Nigerians are fraudsters or the whole country is a fraud and never even exists? These guys need to learn from Yahoo!, Google, 2checkout, Authorize.net, and etc, they are making millions from Nigerian customers without loosing anything, or maybe its a monopolistic demography where only the big guys know the secrets of accept Nigerian buyers. Paypal is still yet to start accepting users from Nigeria as well.

Why is Nigeria excluded on the Internet by majority of "Important Online Merchants"?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by Parohfrey(f): 12:18am On Nov 26, 2009
because of their fraudulent nature.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by dominique(f): 11:51am On Nov 26, 2009
what else do you expect? those yahoo boys don show dem wenn embarassed
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by thomp4pal(m): 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2009
OMG,    cheesy cheesy Who u wan blame Na
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by skydancer: 8:36am On Dec 18, 2009
It's the psychological war. Who said Nigerians are corrupt? Maybe you are corrupt. I am not and I know a lot of people that are not. The whites have never wanted things to be better for us. You all better wake up or is anyone not feeling the starring revolution. Soon it will be the white's turns to visit our websites and buy from us. When that stage reaches, we will teach them how better to deal with people. Nigeria does not have 1-hundrednth of the number of hackers in India or China. By the way, hacking is a good thing. It is through hacking that secret government agencies get information about drug barons and tyrants. That's how they get to know what they're hiding. But we are unstoppable. They cannot stop us! We are faring much more than any other country will have fared had they been in our shoes cheesy smiley
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by akenzuaII(m): 11:21pm On Feb 11, 2010
I do not see a problem  - rather a market. With a country of 150 million people one has to think outside the box.

Imagine what could happen if you owned the 'gateway' that allowed the common man in his house to buy from any market on the net (especially from that ignorant merchant that refuses to list Nigeria). You can also arrange delivery, etc. Everybody wins - you obviously being top winner.

I am only one person and I am running my business so do not have the time to implement the billion ideas that float around in my head everyday - but I think there is a market. I can design a software platform for you if you want - just design mind you, my coding days are behind me.

My point is that we have to solve our problems with the tools at hand - do not see a problem, rather a market.

Aluta!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by elbat: 7:00pm On Mar 05, 2010
akenzua_II:

I do not see a problem - rather a market. With a country of 150 million people one has to think outside the box.

Imagine what could happen if you owned the 'gateway' that allowed the common man in his house to buy from any market on the net (especially from that ignorant merchant that refuses to list Nigeria). You can also arrange delivery, etc. Everybody wins - you obviously being top winner.

I am only one person and I am running my business so do not have the time to implement the billion ideas that float around in my head everyday - but I think there is a market. I can design a software platform for you if you want - just design mind you, my coding days are behind me.

My point is that we have to solve our problems with the tools at hand - do not see a problem, rather a market.

Aluta!

so what design are you thinking of? for free?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by marakesh(m): 11:33am On Mar 06, 2010
it's the same problem like in romania. they don't ship if you are not a paypal verified user. i had to verify my paypal account and also to send copies of my driving license and passport to ebay to make my account active and to start to buy. this happens because of few guys who cheated.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by Bluhazel: 2:41pm On Mar 23, 2010
But who looses here? Not us but they. Each day, Nigerians are importing billions of goods from Asia because the so-called West refused to do business with Nigerians. All the electronic appliances (laptops, home audio/video etc) you see in Nigeria are made in China, Japan, Korea etc that is because these guys have open thier arms to do business with Nigeria and this is why they are overthrowing the West economically. It's just the stupidity of the West to ignore a vast market in Nigeria with 150 million people. You check most US site and you see product you like and you decide to purchase it, only for you not to see Nigeria listed among countries - It's very irritating. angry
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by trhymes(m): 10:38pm On Mar 23, 2010
What some Nigerians do online are terrible.
They will spam and spam and spam to the extent that
a website owner will rain EPE on them.
Only God knows why these guys can't get a job when
they are too impatient which makes it impossible for
them to learn how to make money legally on the net.

Oyinbo's are Afraid of Nigerians, they fear us and all
this is because of some few guys who keep on destroying
our image online daily.

May God help us, lots of us loose opportunities daily
because we do not have paypal accounts.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by jamace(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2010
A few urchins have lost their mind and conscience. Imagine, one i.diot will deliberately advertise what he can not provide just to steal hard earned money from fellow human beings. The i.diot after stealing will call it smartness. Sadly on Fridays or Sundays, as the case may be, you see the same i.diots praying and speaking in tongues, in some cases casting and binding the devil. This is really sad. I think our leaders have set a very wrong precedence that corruption pays, hence some people think the end justifies the means, thereby doing dubious things.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by Gilbertman(m): 2:57am On Apr 04, 2010
AkenzuaII seems tohave a solution in mind.That's very possible perspective.But the prob is abuse and misuse.However I think things are looking up as regard Nigeria buying and selling online now.
@akenzuaII,would like to link up with you.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by cystein(m): 9:05pm On Apr 18, 2010
Well, I am proud to associate with Nigeria. I do ship things to Nigeria and accept your cards for payment! Next month i will also open branches in nigeria. So please say, "SOME COMPANIES" not all!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by DoubleN(m): 3:57pm On Apr 20, 2010
It is not as if they are unaware that there are good business opportunities in Nigeria,the problem is just that our so called 'yahoo' boys have badly dented our Image. How would you feel if you purchased something online and it never got to your house? Only for you to call and they tell you that you personally signed for it!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by cystein(m): 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2010
Yap,

The yahoo boys could easily bring nigeria to internet sanctions by the International Data Termination Centre.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Excluded On The Internet by Amujo(m): 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2010
We have to be sincere with ourselves, the way we Nigerians behalves somtimes is not encouraging. imaging a case where some people claim to be what they are not, they say they have or that for sale which they are not. and also selling fake things and do a dubious business. And every foreigners has recognizes Nigerians with this attitude. My opinion is that, it is high time we changed all this attitude so that other country people will not be running from us.

(1) (Reply)

Learn IT Courses Online For Free / How To Get Free 700MB To Your MTN Sim On A Daily Basis / See Dolphin Caught By Ijaw Man In Brass Lga Of Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.