Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Depression,signs And How To Help - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Depression,signs And How To Help (2077 Views)

Depression Signs And Symptoms / Depression Signs To Watch Out For / 10 Things To Know On Signs And Symptoms Of Endometriosis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 7:12pm On Jan 16, 2017
DEPRESSION, SIGNS AND HOW TO HELP
I decided to write this because most of us may not know that someone out there very close to us is going through depression or we may be passing through one currently and some of us may even think we have one when all we are are having is just normal emotional flunctuation to life challenges.
What is depression?
Depression is a mental health disorder. Specifically, it is a mood disorder characterized by persistently low mood in which there is a feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The signs of depression is not only the feeling of sadness, if there's persistence with one of the following for weeks,then its possible it could be depression
1)Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
2)Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
3)Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
4)Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
5)Decreased energy, fatigue, being “slowed down”
6)Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
7)Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
coolAppetite and/or weight changes
9)Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts
10)Restlessness, irritability
11)Persistent physical symptoms
IF SOMEONE DEPRESSED IS AROUND YOU, DO THESE:
1) Consult proffessionals on it
2) Offer emotional support, understanding, patience, and encouragement.
3) Talk to the person not necessarily about depression, and listen more carefully.
4) Never discount the feelings the person expresses, but point out realities and offer hope.
5) You will need to stay positive and happy yourself to be able to offer help
6) Encourage healthy eating
Never ignore comments about suicide.
7) Remind the person that with time and treatment, the depression will lift.
Lastly,remember google is your friend, type in better ways you could help the person and not contribute more to the depression

1 Like

Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 18, 2017
ModestGal:
DEPRESSION, SIGNS AND HOW TO HELP
I decided to write this because most of us may not know that someone out there very close to us is going through depression or we may be passing through one currently and some of us may even think we have one when all we are are having is just normal emotional flunctuation to life challenges.
What is depression?
Depression is a mental health disorder. Specifically, it is a mood disorder characterized by persistently low mood in which there is a feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The signs of depression is not only the feeling of sadness, if there's persistence with one of the following for weeks,then its possible it could be depression
1)Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
2)Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
3)Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
4)Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
5)Decreased energy, fatigue, being “slowed down”
6)Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
7)Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
coolAppetite and/or weight changes
9)Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts
10)Restlessness, irritability
11)Persistent physical symptoms
IF SOMEONE DEPRESSED IS AROUND YOU, DO THESE:
1) Consult proffessionals on it
2) Offer emotional support, understanding, patience, and encouragement.
3) Talk to the person not necessarily about depression, and listen more carefully.
4) Never discount the feelings the person expresses, but point out realities and offer hope.
5) You will need to stay positive and happy yourself to be able to offer help
6) Encourage healthy eating
Never ignore comments about suicide.
7) Remind the person that with time and treatment, the depression will lift.
Lastly,remember google is your friend, type in better ways you could help the person and not contribute more to the depression
I am severely depressed. Do you know of any psychiatric hospital in PH? I attempted suicide yesterday.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 10:04am On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

I am severely depressed. Do you know of any psychiatric hospital in PH? I attempted suicide yesterday.
ohh dear,i aint in PH,but i will help you ask nd get back to you soonest,thanks
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 18, 2017
ModestGal:

ohh dear,i aint in PH,but i will help you ask nd get back to you soonest,thanks
I will really appreciate
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 10:28am On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:
I will really appreciate
Dear, how are you feeling nw?Better?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 18, 2017
ModestGal:

Dear, how are you feeling nw?Better?
Yea, but not much better. The suicidal thoughts comes in bouts. So I could be playing a game on my phone and the next moment I would be trying to kill myself.
I thank God that at those times I don't have right tools to kill myself. No ceiling fan or sharp knife to put through my head.
I noticed I was depressed when I was 7, but then didn't know anything about mental disorders.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 11:34am On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

Yea, but not much better. The suicidal thoughts comes in bouts. So I could be playing a game on my phone and the next moment I would be trying to kill myself.
I thank God that at those times I don't have right tools to kill myself. No ceiling fan or sharp knife to put through my head.
I noticed I was depressed when I was 7, but then didn't know anything about mental disorders.
Seriously?have you visited hospital?seen psychologists?nd y ae u depressed?is your own has no reason?do you hav friends?do they know you hav depression?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 18, 2017
ModestGal:

Seriously?have you visited hospital?seen psychologists?nd y ae u depressed?is your own has no reason?do you hav friends?do they know you hav depression?
never visited a hospital or psychologist. Don't even know where I can find them. Are their services free?
I have no friends at all, and I have lost interest in people. I don't even miss anybody if they are away from me.
The only person knowledgeable enough to have noticed was my aunt's neighbor in 2014. After that I read about depression on google and that's how I discovered my problem.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by frankloloko: 11:56am On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

where did you put the rope ? You will soon make money and know what life is all about .
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
frankloloko:
where did you put the rope ? You will soon make money and know what life is all about .
there was no fan so I tried to use our window protector but I didn't work out. It was very painful. I prefer a painless death. The rope is what we use to hang cloth. I have returned it to its pole.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2017
Nice thread.
Let me add this. The best way to handle depression or deal with lingering feeling of hopelessness, emptiness and worthlessness is to first disengage yourself from those negative thoughts and try to divert your attention to something that makes you feel better. It could be anything. Say an interesting movie, a good book, playing football, listening to your favourite radio station, or even reflecting on past happy memories could be effective in helping your mood. Just make sure what you do does not bring back those thoughts.
This is what I usually do whenever I am feeling bad and down, and my spirit is dampened. I just sit and think about a ridiculous thing I have said or seen in Nairaland or anywhere and laugh about it. I imitate funny actors and try to speak like them and before I know I am already laughing out my guts.
I also think about nice things someone have said about me and I hold on to it.
According to psychologists, laughing outwardly improves one's state of mind, no matter what you are going through. Look around. Try to find something, anything strange and laugh heartily. Don't suppress the laughter or laugh inwardly. Just laugh like hell. And again, don't ever compare yourself with others. It's bad if you do so. Doing that would only worsen your situation. Forget about people living good lives and stop asking the question: "why is this happening to me?"
Rather, focus on yourself and keep reassuring yourself that it will be alright. Also endeavour to avoid those gloomy music and movies that inspire emotions of pain. Doing this is the first step towards overcoming depression and suicidal thoughts. Know that your inner mind controls everything you do, and you can't respond appropriately if your mood is messed up.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

there was no fan so I tried to use our window protector but I didn't work out. It was very painful. I prefer a painless death. The rope is what we use to hang cloth. I have returned it to its pole.

Jeez. It hasn't gotten to that. Talk to me, bro. Can you let me in on what is going on?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 12:57pm On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

never visited a hospital or psychologist. Don't even know where I can find them. Are their services free?
I have no friends at all, and I have lost interest in people. I don't even miss anybody if they are away from me.
The only person knowledgeable enough to have noticed was my aunt's neighbor in 2014. After that I read about depression on google and that's how I discovered my problem.
Dear am very sorry am late, am still enquiring about where to find help in PH, I am really far away from there, pls take it easy and dont try the rope thing again, and I trust you wont try it again, pls try and talk about it with close people,and tell people around you what you tried doing so that they can monitor you. painless death or no painless death, honey death is the most painful thing an individual will feel while about to go to the other side, and trust me, the other side aint sweet as people think,theres nothing like rest in peace,i dont wanto bring religion into this, but think of it, what of if truthfully,theres another life after death, and you would be questioned,Why dont you think that,how will it feel to be cured of depression?Think about the hapiness it will bring you when you are finally free from it, let the wish for that hapiness strengthen you, if you finally get cured, think of how much you will help others get relieved from depression because then you would understand it better and know the right word to tell the sufferer, pls let that strengthen you to find a permanent solution to yours.Am sure you habe googled and read about depressed people,and you would have read about so many that got permanent solution to thiers, so surely,you will get solution to yours,something am sure of.Think about how you would feel when you finally get cured and you telling people once upon a time, i had depression,wanted to commit suicide,think of how you would laugh it off, make that to be your strength, pls dont go near an act of suicide again, its sinful,without any advantage and it is NO SOLUTION.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2017
Vanceastro:

Honey,i hv been trying to get info on where to get treatment for you, they said theres one at Psychiatric road,rumuola/rumuigbo.am still trying to get more info, pls i will get back to you.STAY STRONG
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
ModestGal:

Honey,i hv been trying to get info on where to get treatment for you, they said theres one at Psychiatric road,rumuola/rumuigbo.am still trying to get more info, pls i will get back to you.STAY STRONG

hw far
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2017
Vanceastro:

hw far
Ohh, I actually thought you have succeeded in killing yourself,thank God you haven't,pls let me know what's up, I contacted someone who volunteers to help you with some psychotherapy, and a lot of people have surely been praying for you.so still,stay strong
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
ModestGal:

Ohh, I actually thought you have succeeded in killing yourself,thank God you haven't,pls let me know what's up, I contacted someone who volunteers to help you with some psychotherapy, and a lot of people have surely been praying for you.so still,stay strong
well I am still hanging on. Is Gracious007 the psychotherapist?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 9:03am On Jan 21, 2017
Vanceastro:

well I am still hanging on. Is Gracious007 the psychotherapist?
nope,she's a lady,and she's not even on nairaland,she mentioned that she can help with foods that will help you improve your mood.She's just trying to help,when I told her your problem, and she's an elderly person.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 21, 2017
ModestGal:

nope,she's a lady,and she's not even on nairaland,she mentioned that she can help with foods that will help you improve your mood.She's just trying to help,when I told her your problem, and she's an elderly person.
how do I contact her ma?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 9:29am On Jan 21, 2017
Vanceastro:
how do I contact her ma?
I will get back to you dear
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Kanse1or: 9:36am On Jan 21, 2017
Let me help you recover from depressive episodes, contact me on 08035590642. I am a graduate psychologist.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 5:25am On Jan 23, 2017
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
Kanse1or:
Let me help you recover from depressive episodes, contact me on 08035590642. I am a graduate psychologist.
for free?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2017
There is nothing free in 9ja
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 10:31am On Jan 25, 2017
Vanceastro:
There is nothing free in 9ja
why will you say that, I have helped a lot for free and a lot has helped me for free
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2017
ModestGal:

why will you say that, I have helped a lot for free and a lot has helped me for free
sorry o. How about the woman?
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 10:48pm On Jan 25, 2017
Vanceastro:
sorry o. How about the woman?
I thought you weren't interested anymore,you don't do as if you were
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
ModestGal:

I thought you weren't interested anymore,you don't do as if you were
I am interested. You know one of the symptoms of depression is loss of interest.
I will really love it if you link me up with the elderly lady .
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ifyalways(f): 6:18am On Jan 26, 2017
@Modestgal, before you link up, please do your research on who you are about to "help"

https://www.nairaland.com/3590926/nairaland-foodies-envy#53134607

Hmmmmm!

1 Like

Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 8:02am On Jan 26, 2017
ifyalways:
@Modestgal, before you link up, please do your research on who you are about to "help"

https://www.nairaland.com/3590926/nairaland-foodies-envy#53134607

Hmmmmm!
Thanks ma'am, but you fail to understand the guy, I don't believe he's lieng about him being depressed, infact with the thread I read,I have a stronger believe that he may be truly depressed.
If anyone can stoop so low and be begging people for money on line, I actually see all of them having mental health problem, and for him scamming people all around begging for money, Its something very disgracing ma'am and I believe only mentally illed people could do such.
That's why in most advanced prisons,psychologists, psychotherapists are all there helping the prisoners because they know that they have a mental problem.
As for you vacenstro, you really need help if the allegations are true, pls try and visit a psychotherapist closest to you because you are becoming mad, may God not let your problem lead to schizophrenia and the likes, I will keep on praying for you.And please don't forget to pray for yourself.
People need to know that depressed people could commit suicide because their lives make no meaning to them, surely they can hurt others without blinking and that's why am believing partly that vacenstro may truly scam others,Robb them of their money to prepare for the great day they will finally end their lives.
These people need help
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 26, 2017
ModestGal:

Thanks ma'am, but you fail to understand the guy, I don't believe he's lieng about him being depressed, infact with the thread I read,I have a stronger believe that he may be truly depressed.
If anyone can stoop so low and be begging people for money on line, I actually see all of them having mental health problem, and for him scamming people all around begging for money, Its something very disgracing ma'am and I believe only mentally illed people could do such.
That's why in most advanced prisons,psychologists, psychotherapists are all there helping the prisoners because they know that they have a mental problem.
As for you vacenstro, you really need help if the allegations are true, pls try and visit a psychotherapist closest to you because you are becoming mad, may God not let your problem lead to schizophrenia and the likes, I will keep on praying for you.And please don't forget to pray for yourself.
People need to know that depressed people could commit suicide because their lives make no meaning to them, surely they can hurt others without blinking and that's why am believing partly that vacenstro may truly scam others,Robb them of their money to prepare for the great day they will finally end their lives.
These people need help
well the allegations aren't true.
Re: Depression,signs And How To Help by ModestGal(f): 9:02am On Jan 26, 2017
Vanceastro:
well the allegations aren't true.
you acted like they were true with your responses on the thread

(1) (2) (Reply)

Liposuction In Nigeria / Which Sleep Position Is Best For Baby? / Snizy, Runny Nose And Blocked Nose. Relief Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.