Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Checkout 10 Strategic Ways Government Can Transform The Nigerian Tech Sector - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Checkout 10 Strategic Ways Government Can Transform The Nigerian Tech Sector (409 Views)

5 Under 30 Youngest Successful Nigerian Tech Entrepreneurs / Ekeh To FG: Grant Exceptional Tax Concessions To Save Tech Sector / The Secret Revealed: 1 NGN Can Equate 1 USD If Nigerian Government Can Do This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Checkout 10 Strategic Ways Government Can Transform The Nigerian Tech Sector by zumen(m): 2:44am On Jan 17, 2017
On many levels, 2016 was a year of many firsts for the Nigerian tech sector — Paystack, Flutterwave, Mark Zuckerberg and YC are all some of the examples of 2016’s firsts.

If events in 2016 are anything to go by, 2017 is definitely on course to be one of the most remarkable years for the tech community in Nigeria. One of the conversations we should have early on in the year should be around the role of government in catapulting the Nigerian tech sector. Better put, what are some of the more strategic initiatives that government can put in place to make it easier for innovation, new businesses and talent to thrive?

I don’t have all the answers but I know that if Governor Ambode makes good his promise of steady electricity supply in the Yaba cluster, for example, that would significantly shore-up the bottom-line of many startups in that area.

Below are my thoughts

If events in 2016 are anything to go by, 2017 is definitely on course to be one of the most remarkable years for the tech community in Nigeria. One of the conversations we should have early on in the year should be around the role of government in catapulting the Nigerian tech sector. Better put, what are some of the more strategic initiatives that government can put in place to make it easier for innovation, new businesses and talent to thrive?

I don’t have all the answers but I know that if Governor Ambode makes good his promise of steady electricity supply in the Yaba cluster, for example, that would significantly shore-up the bottom-line of many startups in that area.

Below are my thoughts

Strategically focus on building a VC industry

Venture Capitalists (VCs) are the guys that bring out the very best in startups. VCs come with a critical mass, consisting of not just capital but intelligence and a deep knowledge of specific markets and business strategy.

Nigeria needs to introduce initiatives that will make it easier for both local and foreign VCs to set up venture capital funds and for wealthy Nigerians, companies and other institutions to invest in VC and directly, in promising companies.

The Yozma Programme implemented by Israel in the early ’90s represents in my view one of the best examples of how government can strategically grow a venture capital industry.

Commission a VC report and issue a VC policy

Although, there have been a number of initiatives targeted at small businesses in Nigeria, there is yet no identifiable, coordinated policy paper or direction for the venture capital industry in Nigeria. Nigeria needs to set up a committee to understudy the workings and peculiarities of venture capital in Nigeria.

We also need to come with a report which, amongst others, will review existing supply/demand initiatives and identify the critical issues and barriers to venture capital financing across the value chain while recommending strategies for driving growth in the venture capital space. The report from this study should form the basis of a well-articulated venture capital policy which should drive legislative reform.

Review immigration policy & processes

http://iqvibes.com/checkout-10-strategic-ways-government-can-transform-the-nigerian-tech-sector-in-2017/

Re: Checkout 10 Strategic Ways Government Can Transform The Nigerian Tech Sector by philiancoop(m): 4:08am On Jan 17, 2017
10 ways you said

(1) (Reply)

Loan To Finance And Expand Your Business Without Collateral At Low Interest Rate / Naira Falls To N500 Per Dollar At Parallel Market / Building A Business Plan During Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.