Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,497 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ (25463 Views)

Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt / "Capture Yahya Jammeh Alive Or Dead": ECOWAS Issues Last Command / Photo Of Yahya Jammeh As A Young Soldier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by yemmybx(m): 9:02am On Jan 18, 2017
U.S. warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘Handover to avoid consequences’
ON January 18, 2017 8:28 AM / I
The U.S. has warned the embattled President Yahya Jammeh of The Gambia, saying he is losing opportunities to peacefully handover to President-elect Adama Barrow and avoid the consequences of his actions.

Jammeh’s tenure ends Jan. 19, the same day that Barrow is expected to be sworn-in as his successor.

Both the African Union and ECOWAS have said that Jammeh will cease to be recognised as Gambian President from the date.

Spokesperson of the U.S. Department of State, Mr John Kirby, said at a press briefing on Tuesday that Jammeh was putting his legacy and The Gambia in peril.

“President Jammeh is losing opportunities to respect the will of the Gambian people and to peacefully hand over power to the president-elect, which is supposed to happen on Thursday.
“Doing so would allow him to leave office with his head held high and to protect the Gambian people from potential chaos.
Yahya Jammeh

“Failure to do so will put his legacy – and, more importantly, the Gambia – in peril, and we have been clear about this,” he said.

According to him, the accusation by Jammeh of external interference in The Gambia’s internal affairs is not tenable.

“I don’t know what interference he’s referring to, but we obviously want to see The Gambia succeed.

“And we want to see the president-elect properly installed and to have in place a government, which is responsible for and responsive to the needs of the Gambian people.”

The U.S. had on Friday, indicated support for ECOWAS to take all necessary action on Jammeh if he fails to handover to Barrow.
The U.S. had regretted that Jammeh’s action had made the situation in The Gambia to become “very uncertain”.

“We call on President Jammeh to listen to his own people, to listen to the Gambian people who have clearly called on him to accept the results of the Dec. 1 election.
“And to again agree to what he already agreed to, which is a peaceful handover of power to President-elect Barrow.”

Kirby, however, said the U.S. “believes that ECOWAS can certainly play an important role in providing security and addressing some of the concerns that there could be violence around the transition”.

He also said that the U.S. was not ruling out its support to a military action, saying: “We do, and I’m not trying to back away from that in any way, shape, or form.

“I just would say that we do, obviously, support ECOWAS as a force for peace and security in the region, and specifically in The Gambia.
“Well, again, I don’t want to speak to what possible actions they may take. I don’t want to get out in front of those decisions,” he said.

Kirby noted the unfortunate accidental airstrike on an internally displaced people’s camp in Rann locality of Borno.

According to him, the U.S. will continue providing the Nigerian Government with counter-terrorism assistance against the Boko Haram insurgents.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/u-s-to-yahya-jammeh-handover-to-avoid-consequences/

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Baawaa(m): 9:06am On Jan 18, 2017
This man should hand over jejely grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
A word is enough for the wise

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Mrdecent(m): 9:11am On Jan 18, 2017
I trust Americans

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by tens4real(m): 9:12am On Jan 18, 2017
The juju wey the give am confidence never expire

8 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Jokerman(m): 9:14am On Jan 18, 2017
The Devil in this Jammeh is wicked.... It just want him to suffer sha ni..... grin

Human beings chasing passionately mundane things...

Jammeh handover jare... Get sense... Now you want America to dabble into your country now... mtcheeeeww...

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Mouthgag: 9:18am On Jan 18, 2017
I don't want him to handover anything.

There were malpractice in the elections.
U.S should shut the Fûck up and mind their own business. It's only small countries they can oppress. Why didn't they attack Russia after they hacked their election? Shame on them.

GAMBIA SHOULD CONDUCT ANOTHER ELECTION.

JAMMEH IS NOT A COWARD.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by koladebrainiac(m): 9:22am On Jan 18, 2017
He shouldnt have allowed the election to hold

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by amiibaby(f): 9:23am On Jan 18, 2017
What has the Us got to do with our constituent

10 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Olasco93: 9:24am On Jan 18, 2017
Am patiently waiting for Robert Mugabi to release his latest quote on Gambia and Jammeh Atleast he's one of the few African leaders that can make you smile and laugh Positively in a critical cricumcrancum as this.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 18, 2017
There are people I personally want to assassinate. Many of them in Nigeria, who by their massive looting have indirectly "killed" many.

However, one person I would like to snipe out at this time is Yahya Jammeh. Can the CIA please employ me to do this?

-CramJones

11 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by DaudaAbu(m): 9:24am On Jan 18, 2017
As strong as Gaddafi is, were is he today.

Why woild he congratulate a ''winner'' if he has an iota of doubt about the results

1 Like

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by orjikuramo(m): 9:24am On Jan 18, 2017
International politricks...
Wetin concern US with Gabon

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by ddippset(m): 9:24am On Jan 18, 2017
This is a perfect depiction of being between the devil and the deep blue sea, between a rock and a hard place. The president elect already threatened to probe him when he steps down, now the ECOWAS and the US have threatened to visit him with maximum shishi if he refuses to step down. If I were him I would just step down and manage the small 'federal' might of the president elect than allow myself be taken out ghadaffi/hussein style.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by MrGreenMavro: 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by ddippset(m): 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
koladebrainiac:
He shouldnt have allowed the election to hold
I tell you.
Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
amiibaby:

Is this new to you?

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by peter0071(m): 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
i am shocked at your statement... we all know there can't be a perfect election... But let him handover. Simple
Mouthgag:

THEY SHOULD CONDUCT ANOTHER ELECTION.

JAMMEH IS NOT A COWARD.

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Badtman(m): 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
Hmmmmmm GhenGhen The Author of War have successfully put mouth for Jammeh matter

E don red

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Pavore9: 9:25am On Jan 18, 2017
He is busy forming Pharaoh!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by peter0071(m): 9:26am On Jan 18, 2017
Are u a Lebanese? When US talks it affects every country in this world.
amiibaby:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by peter0071(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
no.. He is forming Nebuchadnezzar! cheesy
Pavore9:
He is busy forming Pharaoh!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by koladebrainiac(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
ddippset:
I tell you.
all these wont help.

By the time the country started burning he will wish he had stepped down

1 Like

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Enemyofpeace: 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
Dis jameh no get wife or elders in his family?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by cybertuns(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
Mouthgag:

JAMMEH IS NOT A COWARD.

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by lailo: 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
He will handover by tomoro latest,he get liver ni?
Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Asito(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2017
Abeg somebody should help me with that e consign you meme.
Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by AleAirHub(m): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
grin
Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by jomboliski(m): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
He should follow the footsteps of GEJ...

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Philinho(m): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
that man need a serious torture .greedy man

1 Like

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by amiibaby(f): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
They should mind there business nah
ollah1:

Is this new to you?
Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by AndyMolarAllwel(m): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
Mouthgag:

JAMMEH IS NOT A COWARD.

9 Likes

Re: U.S. Warns Yahya Jammeh: ‘handover To Avoid Consequences’ by Enemyofpeace: 9:28am On Jan 18, 2017
Mouthgag:

JAMMEH IS NOT A COWARD.
you have been noticed oya go and take your medicine

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - / Typhoon Nanmadol Slams Japan ( Pics, Video) / Biden Draws ‘red Line’ For Benjamin Netanyahu: No Israeli Attack On Rafah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.