Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant (40239 Views)

Ibrahim Boubacar Keita Resigns As Mali's President Resigns Amid Coup / Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office / "Photos Of Luxury Vehicles Acquired By Jammeh In His Final Days" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by tiwaz(m): 9:02pm On Jan 18, 2017
In what is clearly the biggest indication that the President of The Gambia, Yayha Jammeh, has lost control of his government, the country’s Vice president, Isatou Njie-Saidy, on Wednesday resigned.
She announced her resignation hours before official end of the tenure of Mr. Jammeh’s administration as the country’s political impasse gets worse over the refusal of Mr Jammeh to relinquish power to the President-elect Adama Barrow who was scheduled to be sworn in on Thursday.
The country’s minister of higher education, Aboubacar Senghore, who was appointed to the position last July, also resigned on Wednesday saying he cannot serve in the post beyond the tenure of the outgoing president.
“Given my strong religious and legal background, I feel it is now ethically and legally speaking time to step down as minister of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology and Religious Affairs as the constitutional mandate of the current government expires today, Wednesday 18th January 2017,” he wrote in his resignation letter to Mr Jammeh.
The resignation of Mr. Senghore, who was the country’s former foreign affairs minister, brings the number of minister that have resigned from Mr Jammeh’s cabinet since the political logjam to eight.
A source who asked not to be named for fear of being arrested, told PREMIUM TIMES that the increasing resignation of ministers may have forced Mr. Jammeh to dissolve his cabinet.
PREMIUM TIMES has not been able to verify the if Mr. Jammeh has indeed dissolved his cabinet.
Having lost all legal avenue to stop the inauguration of Mr. Barrow, the Gambia president, relying on a motion by the parliament, controlled by his party, declared a 90-day state of emergency, which effectively extended his hold on power.
The situation in the tiny West African country has become dire after the failure of a team of leaders from the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, failed to convince Mr. Jammeh to allow for peaceful transition.
ECOWAS has since prepared troops drawn from countries in the region including Nigeria to forcibly remove Mr. Jammeh from office.
Reports indicated that a Nigerian warship was already sailing towards the country on Monday.
On Wednesday, thousands of Western tourists trying to leave the country before the expected deployment of the regional force, gathered at Gambia’s international airport.
The BBC also reported that Senegalese troops had moved closer to the Gambian border on Wednesday.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/220896-gambian-vice-president-resigns-jammeh-remains-defiant.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by forgiveness: 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
grin She has seen the handwriting on the wall

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by babyfaceafrica: 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by daewoorazer(m): 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2017
Is it only me?

She resemble Iya cele

25 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Qmerit(m): 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2017
Wise woman! Keep ur honor jare.
Hmmm women are gud at leaving u @ end point! Lol. I sorry for her principal.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Ten12(m): 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2017
Better late than never

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by sdindan: 9:06pm On Jan 18, 2017
Good for u madam.

2 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Poorboy: 9:12pm On Jan 18, 2017
When things go though women always run....

33 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by doctimonyeka(m): 9:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
You did the right thing great woman...

I hope ur oga follows suit....

1 Like

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by doctimonyeka(m): 9:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
You did the right thing great woman...

I hope ur oga follows suit....
#I love africa...

3 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by bettercreature(m): 9:15pm On Jan 18, 2017
Jamiu should leave office before its too late
He should learn from gbagbo
The cum rag has just 2.500 soldiers

2 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Mrdecent(m): 9:18pm On Jan 18, 2017
Greatest lesson in history is that people don't learn from history

8 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by PapaNnamdi: 9:40pm On Jan 18, 2017
She knows Wikipedia is watching closely with pen and paper, she no want bad biography, wise okpeke, Oya come and be my sugar mommy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Moreoffaith(m): 9:46pm On Jan 18, 2017
Wise woman.

1 Like

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by ritababe(f): 9:46pm On Jan 18, 2017
Nigeria just be like the US of America, we just like war like America.

15 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 18, 2017
just like our fake pastor vp will resign 2019 cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by Built2last: 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
She remained loyal to the last minute to see if Jammeh will receive sense

23 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by sorom4: 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Intelligent people are resigning now but those that think that think that the resources of the nation belongs to only them (which is typical for African leaders) will stay put cos of their bloodthirsty nature
Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by SIRKAY98(m): 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by brunofarad(m): 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Ghen ghen
Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by SEOManiac: 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
I can to click like
Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by henrydadon(m): 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
wise woman she knows what good for her..

jammeh is hell bent on soiling his name..

power drunk bastard..

1 Like

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by HonabFaj(m): 9:47pm On Jan 18, 2017
Jammeh OYO lo wa
On Your Own
Face the consequences yourself

But wait why the resignation, you people have already loss in the election, you can easily walk away

1 Like

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by lovat(m): 9:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
MMM people complaining about Seun pushing their story to FP should pity Gambians for facing worst

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by abumeinben(m): 9:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
grin

No time..Mama get family for hass.

Jammeh things wan jam you so o

1 Like

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by tundafayaBuhari: 9:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
Water don pass garri. I want exactly what is happening in Gambia to happen in Nigeria. useless country

2 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by kaluchuks(m): 9:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
Jammeh I think that small stick you carry always on your hand has been deceiving you,remember some past African leaders who refuse giving up power,they died just like one rat I killed with my door,dont be a goat just resign so as to keep your big eyeballs intact

6 Likes

Re: Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant by princeakins(m): 9:50pm On Jan 18, 2017
I smell trouble for dz jammeh abi wah is it called.

Is dt seat a family rite.. afta servinv for 22 years.
Some pple wil jux bring wahala upon dr head using dr own hand.

I jux pity d innocent dt will die due to d cause of his action.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 8 Most Elite Special Forces In The World / Barack Obama Hits Out At Donald Trump,warns 'american Values' Are At Stake / Indonesian Army Ends 'Two-Finger' Virginity Tests On Female Recruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.