Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,539 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa (2928 Views)

'We Are Living In Fear' -Nigerians In South Africa Cry Out / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / Madiba's Burial: Isn't South Africa Most Ungrateful To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by jba203: 8:35am On Nov 27, 2009
Lets face it, South Africa is powerful. Economically, politically and otherwise. I have met many Nigerians crying foul about the recent expansion of SA companies at their backyards. Of late, one of Nigeria minister, emphasized on the need for trade equality between the two countries. Accordingly, the Minister failed to acknowledge that Nigerian companies has no much to offer to SA. Which sector of SA economy would Nigeria find it easier to exploit? Communication (Covered and well regulated), Science and Technology(One of the best in the world), Mining (Far much advanced home breed companies are in charge), Agriculture (the best), just to mention but the few.

There are so many companies from South Africa that are still going to exploit the opportunity of the huge population in Nigeria. The recipe, is identifying your strength. What are you good at? if you do indeed find that strength, you exploit on it. It would be suicidal for a Nigerian telecommunication company to consider investing in SA, cos they would loose money big time. South Africans are very much brand conscious people, even ppl in deep rural areas. Face it, not in hundred years would Nigerian companies make impact in SA. Operating informal businesses can only be the way.

This is not meant to offend anybody. It is a harsh reality,

1 Like

Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by jba203: 8:41am On Nov 27, 2009
Believe it or not.
Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by Epiphany(m): 11:02am On Nov 27, 2009
I am of the opinion that there are still opportunities for Nigerian companies in SA. . . i.e. if we as Nigerians get serious with our businesses and decide to really go international by adapting to international operating standards

The arguement you are putting forth may have been said of Indian companies 10 - 20 years ago but today, they are buying up companies around the world including the UK - which arguably, may have more regulated systems than SA.

China, another international upstart has her companies, such as Huawei and ZTE taking the world by storm and seriously giving companies like Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia, Siemens and co a run for market share. Many mobile operators are switching from the old timers like Nokia, Ericsson and co to Huawei and Zte.

Who knows, tomorrow, Adenuga may decide to buy a company like Cell C to extend his mobile reach into the SA market. Or Otedola may decide to buy into an oil marketing company in SA too!

1 Like

Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by Horus(m): 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2009
I think that it is very pessimistic to think that there isn't much that Nigerian bussinesses can do in South Africa. Nigerians should never have doubts about their capacity in the business sector. There is place in South Africa for Nigerian Import-Export businesses that can work hand in hand with importers, exporters, sellers, wholesalers, and sourcing services from all over Nigeria.
Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by jba203: 1:08pm On Nov 27, 2009
Valid points points. I wish Nigerian companies could stand up and claim that position in SA. I am a South African, and i am of a believe that Nigeria and SA can uplift Africa. We are a promising two nations, however, what we need is more interdependence between ourselves. I am from the finance discepline, and the projection of SA companies that are operating in Europe, Asia and Africa shows that SA in 7years from now would create a huge gap in growth. It shows that, SA is coming to be the next China. This is based on its Foreign Policy draft paper change. If you check the priorities of SAFP, on top of the list is consolidation of African Agenda, that translate to better SA, in a better Africa and a better world.
Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by transformR: 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2009
Horus:

I think that it is very pessimistic to think that there isn't much that Nigerian bussinesses can do in South Africa. Nigerians should never have doubts about their capacity in the business sector. There is place in South Africa for Nigerian Import-Export businesses that can work hand in hand with importers, exporters, sellers, wholesalers, and sourcing services from all over Nigeria.

Thats right, but isn't Nigeria the largest African investor in SA? In the long run Nigerias economy can outpace that of SA if the leadership situation improves.
Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by yeswecan(m): 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2009
jba203:

Lets face it, South Africa is powerful. Economically, politically and otherwise. I have met many Nigerians crying foul about the recent expansion of SA companies at their backyards. Of late, one of Nigeria minister, emphasized on the need for trade equality between the two countries. Accordingly, the Minister failed to acknowledge that Nigerian companies has no much to offer to SA. Which sector of SA economy would Nigeria find it easier to exploit? Communication (Covered and well regulated), Science and Technology(One of the best in the world), Mining (Far much advanced home breed companies are in charge), Agriculture (the best), just to mention but the few.

There are so many companies from South Africa that are still going to exploit the opportunity of the huge population in Nigeria. The recipe, is identifying your strength. What are you good at? if you do indeed find that strength, you exploit on it. It would be suicidal for a Nigerian telecommunication company to consider investing in SA, cos they would loose money big time. South Africans are very much brand conscious people, even ppl in deep rural areas. Face it, not in hundred years would Nigerian companies make impact in SA. Operating informal businesses can only be the way.

This is not meant to offend anybody. It is a harsh reality,

You can't offend anyone with this my friend, you are only putting out the xenophobic attitude which Africans are known for. Even in Nigeria we have cases of ethnocentrism…it is arrant nonsense

What's the essence of this thread? we are Africans stop the whining and lets think of how to move forward, the world is gradually working on regional blocks with the Lisbon Treaty gradually taking its stand and the North America union taking shape, we have to think for us. Competition brings jealousy and hatred; this is the time for Africans to be matured and think for us as Africans. Imagine Ghana–Nigeria relations gradually going sour because of advancement in her democracy that is madness at its peak.
Re: There Isn't Much Nigeria Businesses Can Do In South Africa by Josphem(m): 12:51am On Jan 23, 2019
That is totally not true, today Dangote has a cement factory in SA and he is making a substantial impart in their economy and doing fairly well

(1) (Reply)

If I Hear Obama, Change, One More Time, I Will Smack Somebody! / Russians Brought Dress Uniforms For Parade In Kyiv / Dozens Of Israeli Female Soldiers Abducted, Negotiations Ongoing (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.