Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

“I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka (580 Views)

Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It-soyinka / "I Threw Away My Green Card" – Soyinka / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by alcmene: 12:55pm On Jan 19, 2017
Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka has said that he has fulfilled his promise to “cut” his green card (permanent resident’s card in the U.S.) and “start packing up” if the then, Republican Candidate, Donald Trump wins the election.

Soyinka in an interview with The Atlantic on Tuesday, said that he had made his green card “inoperable”.

“I don’t have strong enough fingers to tear up a green card. As long as Trump is in charge, if I absolutely have to visit the United States, I prefer to go in the queue for a regular visa with others. I’m no longer part of the society, not even as a resident,” Soyinka said.

“I delivered myself from uncertainty, from discomfort, from internal turmoil,” the veteran writer said.

He had said, after Trump emerged winner in November 2016, that he was bidding his time until Trump is inaugurated.

“Why don’t we wait until Trump actually takes office? I’m just going about my normal commitments, but definitely not getting into any more commitments. Let’s put it that way for now,” Soyinka had said.

He also announced in December that he “threw away” the card.

Soyinka recently told The Interview magazine that “Trump’s wall is already under construction.” “Walls are built in the mind, and Trump has erected walls, not only across the mental landscape of America, but across the global landscape,” Soyinka had said.

Soyinka said his decision is a “personal” and “private” one, and “no one else is invited.”

https://www.bellanaija.com/2017/01/im-no-longer-part-of-the-society-wole-soyinka-says-he-has-made-his-green-card-inoperable/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by alcmene: 12:56pm On Jan 19, 2017
If Wole Soyinka can't tear his green card by himself. He should bring it... We have knife
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by maryjan8(f): 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2017
Ok
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by thesicilian: 1:00pm On Jan 19, 2017
Are they still on this issue?
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by alcmene: 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2017
“I don’t have strong enough fingers to tear up a green card. As long as Trump is in charge, if I absolutely have to visit the United States, I prefer to go in the queue for a regular visa with others. I’m no longer part of the society, not even as a resident,” Soyinka said.

Trump should watch out for this cultist cos he's gonna return to the states undecided
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by femolacqua(m): 1:31pm On Jan 19, 2017
Story for the God's, why has he not cut it still?
Re: “I Don’t Have Strong Enough Fingers To Tear Up A Green Card- Soyinka by DozieInc(m): 2:39pm On Jan 19, 2017
Who send am

(1) (Reply)

Ifunanya; The Plague Of An African Child. / When The Road Is Rough / The Nigerian Youth (TNY) Digital Magazine Sept/oct 2017 Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.