Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,681 members, 7,831,112 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

CCT Trial Victory: FG In Deep Trouble, As Saraki Shines Bright, Records Very Maj - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CCT Trial Victory: FG In Deep Trouble, As Saraki Shines Bright, Records Very Maj (621 Views)

Security Agencies Lay Siege on NASS as Saraki, Ekweremadu defy Buhari / Split In R-APC As Saraki Moves To Join Presidential Race / Outcry As Saraki, Dogara Sit On Late Legislators Seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

CCT Trial Victory: FG In Deep Trouble, As Saraki Shines Bright, Records Very Maj by babanett: 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
CCT Trial Victory: FG In Deep Trouble, As Saraki Shines Bright, Records Very Major Breakthrough

By Sanni Muhammed
January 19, 2017 11:10

Related Articles

We did not leak questions to PDP- NEDG 0 Comments 29.Jan
PDP united now more than ever 0 Comments 09.Mar
ANALYSIS: How Buhari, Atiku clipped Tinubu’s wings 0 Comments 11.Jun
The trial of the embattled Senate President, Bukola Saraki, at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, took another new dimension on Wednesday, January 18, as a Federal Government prosecution witness, Amazu Nwachukwu, insisted that the foreign bank accounts being linked to Saraki, actually belonged to the American Express Services Limited, and not the Senate President.

According to the witness, the disputed foreign accounts belonged to the operators of a credit card used by Saraki for a transaction.

The witness made the declaration during the re-examination by the lead Prosecution Counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), who wanted to make clarifications on the evidence of the witness, in his evidence in-chief and cross-examination, on the alleged foreign bank account being linked to Saraki.

Nwachukwu said: “I have made it clear that I never worked with the Fortis Bank of London, I do not know how they number their customers’ accounts, and I do not have any knowledge of any foreign account belonging to Saraki.

“I do not have any account with Fortis Bank, I never had any contact with the bank in relation to the defendant, I do not know how bank accounts are opened at the bank. I can only speak for my own bank.”

The witness insisted that the only fund transfer form, sent from the Ilorin branch of Guaranty Trust Bank, GTBank, to his foreign fund transfer unit at GTBank in Lagos, got burnt along with computers and other documents in 2011, and that he was not even at the unit in 2010, when the said fund transfer to American Express Service Limited, was made by Saraki.

“In the transaction, the defendant (Saraki) made with my bank, in 2010, the beneficiary of the transaction is American Express Services, I can see the name of the beneficiary clearly, and the bank account of the beneficiary, based on the document given to me by the prosecution,” he maintained.

Also, during cross-examination by Saraki’s Counsel, Paul Usoro (SAN) on Tuesday, the witness had admitted that there was no evidence linking the said accounts to Saraki.

Furthermore, during cross examination yesterday, when asked by the defendant to explain why he could not confirm the identities of the accounts, Nwachukwu, said the documents confirming the transfer of funds were destroyed in an inferno, and that he did not see them prior to that time.

Also, when asked how he got the documents his bank sent to the EFCC, the witness said he was not the, “officer responsible for the documents that were forwarded to EFCC,” and that he has, “no knowledge of that.”

On Tuesday, while being led in evidence by Jacobs, the witness had told the court how the Senate President transferred funds to his alleged foreign accounts, between 2009 and 2012.
The witness confirmed that Saraki was keeping dollar, pounds sterling, and naira accounts, domiciled in the Ilorin branch of GTBank.

According to him, Saraki transferred over $3 million from his dollar account, to his foreign account, during the period.

The trial was however, adjourned till February 8 and 9.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Bingham University Students Join BBOG Sitout Today / Nigerian Youths Come In Here; Lets Plan Our Future. / Imo State Approves N2 Billion For Rehabilitation Of Oil Communities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.