Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? (1797 Views)

Highlander 2005/2006 And Timing Belt / What Does The Timing Belt Do In The Engine And When Should You Change It? / 8 Signs Your Timing Belt Needs To Be Replaced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? by adeblow(m): 2:21pm On Jan 19, 2017
The last two times I went to the mechanic workshop, I saw two cars: both peugeot 406 to be specific and i was told that the timing belt cut off while they were driving.

The second time I went, i saw another peugeot 406 and it was the same timing belt problem.
And to fix the problem, the mechanic have had to dismantle the engine and reset the valves, which took them about three to four hours plus some work on the engine.

So the question is how often should one change timing belt to avoid this problem.
Re: How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2017
to be safe 40-50,000km or 4years for a 4cylinder vehicle using original timing belts.

80-100,000km for a V6

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? by bravolad(m): 1:55am On Jan 20, 2017
adeblow:
The last two times I went to the mechanic workshop, I saw two cars: both peugeot 406 to be specific and i was told that the timing belt cut off while they were driving.

The second time I went, i saw another peugeot 406 and it was the same timing belt problem.
And to fix the problem, the mechanic have had to dismantle the engine and reset the valves, which took them about three to four hours plus some work on the engine.

So the question is how often should one change timing belt to avoid this problem.

Depending on your car make and model. Different car manufacturers have recommended mileage for timing belt replacement. For instance, Toyota Sienna 2004/2005 on the 3mz fe engine recommends timing belt replacement at 90,000 miles. But again, you may not go wrong with what @Gazzuzz has recommended provided you purchase a genuine one.
Re: How Often Should One Change The Timing Belt? by adeblow(m): 10:52am On Jan 24, 2017
thanks guys very informative

(1) (Reply)

Can FRSC Ticket An Unregistered Car (tokunbo) / Toyota Privia Or Toyota Sienna / I Need A Used Low Cost Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.