Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,016 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 (1532 Views)

Pls I Need Some Help / How Much Do You Charge For Your Mobile App creation I need some app developers / Any Bros Know Of Strong Proxy Application? 911 App? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 7:32pm On Jan 19, 2017
Hy please I need advice I have no previous knowledge in computer software,network or anything that has to do with programing and networking as a whole except for word processing and others I wana major in computer science and later specialize in cyber security am thinking about taking course in CompTia security +,protocol & internetworking standards (N+),Installing configuration managing & trouble shooting a PC (A+). other options are Program in hardware and networking, certified network administrator, and program in web design.all these are courses at NIIT I can take before I start my bsc computer science in some months time..please any advice on which I should do first or can start with as a basic student
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by greatnaija01: 7:39pm On Jan 19, 2017
BSc COMPUTER SCIENCE IN ANY FEDERAL UNIVERSITY will waste your life o. THERE IS NOTHING IN IT. AND YOU WILL ONLY FEEL CHEATED AT THE END OF THE DAY.
So here is what to do:
start with SOFTWARE PROGRAMING BEFORE YOU GO INTO ALL THESE YOU HAVE MENTIONED.
LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM ANDROID APPS... then you will a rich kid on campus as you can make money teaching others... this is what i did back in UNIBEN, i was teaching ethical hacking which i learnt from APTECH lagos.

so if you wanna confirm kindly go to your school and check the syllabus and you would be shocked at the old n off point stuff you would be doing for four years.

I salute the next gen hack3r in u.

Teedawg:
Hy please I need advice I have no previous knowledge in computer software,network or anything that has to do with programing and networking as a whole except for word processing and others I wana major in computer science and later specialize in cyber security am thinking about taking course in CompTia security +,protocol & internetworking standards (N+),Installing configuration managing & trouble shooting a PC (A+). other options are Program in hardware and networking, certified network administrator, and program in web design.all these are courses at NIIT I can take before I start my bsc computer science in some months time..please any advice on which I should do first or can start with as a basic student

1 Like

Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by talk2hb1(m): 8:21pm On Jan 19, 2017
Advise is a Dangerous gift undecided
Even from the wise to the wise!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by asalimpo(m): 9:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
School will teach you the fundamentals, maths etc which are the foundations of all tech.
I dont know how good nigerian schools are, but the chance you'll be able to motivate yourself to learn the theory outside school is very slim. Those theories are the building blocks for everything and if you want to proceed for higher studies in the field it is the knowledge of the theory that will aid you. While you may delve into the pragmatics and maybe make money doing so, web app dev , android dev, etc- You wont be able to go far with only pragmatic knowledge. If that's your thing, then you dont even need a bsc, but if you intend to work on more complex issues, or on the cutting edge, then more formal/theoretical education over pragmatic education is necessary. There's no gaurantee money-wise that theoretical is more lucrative than practical though. You could hav a phd in cs and make less than an aptech/niit/self taught web developer!!. So you choose.

4 Likes

Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by romme2u: 12:57am On Jan 20, 2017
if i were u i will follow the steps below since you are targeting Cyber Security.

1. start with basic networking (probably N+) and system admin (linux with shell scripting) at the same time. This will definitely take you time to gain proficiency (probably through out your schooling period).

2. Go for the Bsc. there is no short cut to success in life as practicals should be based on sound theory.

3. After graduation, follow up with certifications in ethical hacking and cyber security.

Number 1 will introduce you to practicals but you will need a lot of self study to improve. number 2 will provide you sound theory to understand what you are doing and why you need to do them. 3 will tell the world your competencies and expertise.

NB: becoming an IT pro takes years of study and practice. so by the time you graduate in 4/5 years, you will be ready for the market.

1 Like

Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by spoilerx: 7:56am On Jan 20, 2017
Teedawg:

if u can afford it, get out of Nigeria. study computer science in a proper university.
i went to UNIBEN(absolute waste of my life).
you can start with going for a networking basics class(CCNA) and also python programming (there are free python courses on coursera,udemy and youtube sef.)

read books.
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 9:48am On Jan 20, 2017
greatnaija01:
BSc COMPUTER SCIENCE IN ANY FEDERAL UNIVERSITY will waste your life o. THERE IS NOTHING IN IT. AND YOU WILL ONLY FEEL CHEATED AT THE END OF THE DAY.
So here is what to do:
LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM ANDROID APPS... then you will a rich kid on campus as you can make money teaching others... this is what i did back in UNIBEN, i was teaching ethical hacking which i learnt from APTECH l

thank you very much! please which of these will give me an in depth knowledge of programming Web designing or Android app developer and also which programming language is used for them
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 9:50am On Jan 20, 2017
romme2u:
if i were u i will follow the steps below since you are targeting Cyber Security.

1. start with basic networking (probably N+) and system admin (linux with shell scripting) at the same time. This will definitely take you time to gain proficiency (probably through out your schooling period).
Thank you! please I wanna ask what will I be able to do with an N+ certificate or A+
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 9:52am On Jan 20, 2017
spoilerx:

if u can afford it, get out of Nigeria. study computer science in a proper university.

read books.
thank you!! I will definitely look into that
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by romme2u: 2:19am On Jan 22, 2017
Teedawg:
Thank you! please I wanna ask what will I be able to do with an N+ certificate or A+

N+ is more or less a foundation for advanced network course like CCNA, CCNP, CCIE plus many others. an N+ certificate can get you a job as junior network admin, trainee network associate and other positions in a wide and expansive networking world. ##getting a job may be based on your knowledge of Nigerian factors##
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by bet9ja(m): 2:27pm On Jan 22, 2017
Teedawg:
, With both certifications, the sky is your limit as both will surely land you a junior admin or network admin job in a sane country not sure of Nigeria though.
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by abnot: 10:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
Hi people , will like to seek your inputs on this. As a computer science grad is it more rewarding to work in IT/software companies in lagos or technology division of established banks/ oil exploration companies ?
I once worked in one of the acclaimed oldest IT companies in lagos and I didn't enjoy the experience. What do you guys think ?
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2017
greatnaija01:
So here is what to do:
LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM ANDROID APPS... then you will a rich kid on campus as you can make money teaching others... this is what i did back in UNIBEN, i was teaching ethical hacking which i learnt from APTECH lagos.

so if you wanna confirm kindly go to your school and check the syllabus and you would be shocked at the old n off point stuff you would be doing for four years.

please where or how did you learn how to program android apps?
Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by greatnaija01: 1:15pm On Mar 24, 2017
go to youtube, find ANDROID AUTHORITY TUTORIALS or GREENHATWORLD

Teedawg:
please where or how did you learn how to program android apps?

1 Like

Re: All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911 by Teedawg: 1:21pm On Mar 24, 2017
greatnaija01:
go to youtube, find ANDROID AUTHORITY TUTORIALS or GREENHATWORLD

okay thanks!

(1) (Reply)

To All Interesting In IT (PROGRAMMING and SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT) As A Profession / Software Platform Migration Isn't Easy / Anyone With Experience In Adobe FLEX?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.